“Not impressed”

Miller & Carter Hinckley
Ranked #50 of 120 Restaurants in Hinckley
Price range: US$20 - US$39
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Just got back from our first visit to a Miller & Carter. Had researched on the web site before and saw they had a set Sunday menu for £24.95 and checked it was available on Easter Sunday. nothing to say it wasn't, so off we went.
On arrival we were shown to a table and given 2 standard menus and a couple of drinks menu and advised that the waitress would be with us 'shortly'to take our drinks order. Guess what? We hadn't been given the Sunday set menu! After waiting about 10 mins before the waitress realised we were there ( in the meantime she'd served a table that came in after us) she came up and I asked for the set menu ". oh you want that one ? " she seemed surprised!.
Finally took our order after about a half hour wait and then starters ( sticky chicken) arrived quite quickly and was quite nice but nothing special.
We both ordered steaks and I asked for a baked potato instead of chips .When they arrived the food was lukewarm and although OK wasn't really anything special. Wasn't a fan of everything in separate pots and not keen on the iceburg lettuce wedge( would have preferred a few vegetables personally).
We asked for the dessert menu and once again had to ask for the set menu when the waitress brought the standard one.
Mentioned that it was a bit naughty not offering the Sunday set menu when we arrived and was told 'after a month of opening they decided no one wanted it! ' I suggested that they could still give people the choice to which she agreed !
All in all there's better places to eat in the area with better service so probably won't be going back soon!

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Courteous service. Waitress was really helpful. Looked after us. Food very tasty. Not cheap, but enjoyed meal. Would definitely come here again.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

The Miller and Carter buzz had arrived in my home town and I, along with four budding companions were eager to give it a try. This particular restaurant was a converted Harvester and upon entering, my friends and I were very impressed with the change in interior. The low hanging lights, exposed brick work and quirky ‘we are all mixologists so order our great cocktail now’ menu enraptured us all and we were suitably impressed. However, this is where it ended. Upon entering we made our way to the QUIET bar and waited at least five minutes for a bar girl to say to their colleague ‘just so you know, I’m not serving them’ (indicating to us) before we were served a drink. Not a massive issue but not great either.

Skip a little bit of time, post meal and post meal drink where our waitress told us to ‘ring the bell if we’ve had a good steak’ and to which a member of our party -and my my partner- (who is rather an extrovert and likes a bit of fun), enjoyed donging the chime in applause of the ‘good’ food we had just enjoyed.

Apparently at this point (post paying the bill and passing a tip to our waitress - which she gladly accepted) we came across as completely inebriated and after making our way to the bar (post meal and apparently staggering) were refused any further custom. Needless to say, all four of us were absolutely stunned at the declaration by the bar lady that she was ‘sorry’ but that she had ‘been told’ by her ‘manager’ that she could not serve us ‘anymore alcohol.’ Considering, that between a group of four people we had just just spent £165 with £120 of it on food (the remaining £40 had been spent on wine which basically equated to around the equivalent of half a bottle each) we were completely stunned and a little embarrassed that an absolutely ludicrous accusation had been made against us. Even more insulting was that at no point (until we demanded our tip back) did anyone senior, other than the poor bar girl (who had refused our further custom), offer us any explanation as to the reasoning behind the the refusal.

Unfortunately, what started as a great night with ‘pretty good’ food turned into a disappointing drama of accusation by an uneducated waitress who confused an extroverted personality, wanting to have a bit of harmless fun (by ringing the bell) with being drunk. Consequently my friends and I (all professionals in our early 30’s) left the establishment bewildered and completely humiliated. I am sure I speak for all four of us when I say that we will certainly not be returning, EVER.

Reasonable food but absolutely appalling service! Steer clear!

1  Thank HTK968
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

excellent food and amazing service what a transformation from the old harvester BE ADVISED TO BOOK THOUGH

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Came here with my mother for lunch. We both ordered the same. The starter which was the mushrooms, this was cold and had no flavour. For main we had the chicken schnitzel, which wasn't bad but the onion loaf on the plate was very meagre and was also missing pancetta. Ive been to this Miller & Carters once before and I complain also about the pancetta being missed off then also. For dessert we had the caramel crumble, which was really cold. I feel if its the same chefs which was at the Harvester previously, then this restaurant will also have a bad reputation and people wont visit.