“Absolutely fantastic!”
Review of Embassy Hotel

Embassy Hotel
Ranked #48 of 99 Great Yarmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This was by far the best holiday I have ever been on! My double room was lovely, plenty big enough for me and my friend and we also had a brilliant view.

We were seen to by Odette, who was very welcoming and ensured that we were shown to our room, letting us know all the times for meals and also about the attractions in Great Yarmouth.

Every day was brilliant - the full english breakfast was faultess, we were given extra toast when needed and extra cups of tea too. We got to know the waitering/waitressing staff: Carly and Charlotte the two fantastic waitresses and Casey the marvellous waiter! They were always extremely friendly, asking us how our day was and what we had planned; they ensured that our meals all came out together and if we needed anything they would always help. I'd like to give a mention to David the barman as he was full of useful information and was very friendly.

Overall, this hotel was again FANTASTIC! I'd like to give all the staff (Odette, Krystal, Charlotte, Casey, Carly, Kat, David and others) at the Embassy Hotel a big 10 out of 10! Thank you for a brilliant stay :)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 August 2011

This hotel's rooms looked lovely in the photographs, but when we were shown to our double room it was cramped, needed decorating and the bathroom smelt off.

We overlooked the back of a restaurant so Saturday night (our first night) we heard voices and swearing which made it hard to sleep. Also there was a strange noise above us like a machine working into the night, this went on both nights.

Our second night included 2 occasions when the fire alarm went off, my partner went to investigate these and was told that someone must have been smoking in their room.

The rest of the hotel looked ok, breakfast was good, but there did seem to be a lack of staff generally.

We left early for some sleep and would not return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
TheEmbassyHotel, Owner at Embassy Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

After looking into the points raised on your recent review of the hotel, please find my findings, We have undergone a lot of work in the hotel in terms of refurbishment to our rooms and public areas. Approximatley 75% of our bedrooms are complete. The room you stayed in, whilst clean, is a little out of date in its decor. As we coming to the quieter end of the Summer season ,we are now able to continue with our refurbishments. Based on your review, I have put the room you stayed in at the front of the list to be refurbished. As you have pointed out that the rooms we have done, are lovely, and work is being undertaken on the room you were in. There is a Restaurant at the rear of the hotel (not part of the hotel). As far as I am aware this has been closed for apporx. 18 months so can only assume the swearing you heard, was noisy holiday makers on thier way home. I am sorry you had to endure this, had you have spoken to us, I would have been more than happy to relocate you. This also applies to the 'machine' you heard. I have tried to investigate this but am unable to find what it was, I can only assume that a room above you had left thier bathroom light on all night causing the extractor fan to be activated. Again, had you have mentioned it, I would have relocated. In the Guest Info packs there is a strong policy about No Smoking. We try and enforce this as much as possible but unfortunatley there are still a few people who believe them to be an exception to the rule. When people smoke in the bedrooms, the Fire Alarm will activate as it is highly sensitive to cigarette smoke and this is what happened on that occassion. All in all, im sorry you had a dissapointing stay but as I am constantly saying to people, "Tell us at the time where we can actually do something to correct the situation thus improving your stay".

Reviewed 9 August 2011

Our party of 5 originally booked a double and triple room at Gable End Hotel, the sister hotel of The Embassy Hotel. We were moved as a result of a mixed up in the booking process.

The Embassy Hotel is well located opposite the Sea Life Centre, a short walk to everything in Great Yarmouth. Public areas in the hotels are quite nice, especially the bar and restaurant areas. Our triple room had ample room and a nice bathroom. Our double room was pokey, small bathroom and very hot. Neither rooms had any sort of view.

The major let down during our staff were the the breakfast staff. On our first morning, our waitress was what can only be described as robotic. She didn't converse with us at all. We were aksed if we wanted tea or coffee. As I wanted neither, I wasn't offered juice, I had to ask for this, and no one else was offered it either who did have the hot drinks. A vegetarian breakfast apparently takes 35 minutes to prepare and were told this should be pre ordered - no apologies that this couldn't be done for us that day. The substitute was 2 rounds of dry brown bed and one egg. We were served toast, 3 rounds between 5 of us and again, no offer of more. Standard cooked breakfast was ok - very poor quality sausages and soggy hash browns. Dishes were left on the table throughout, nothing cleared away. There was no 'have a nice day', 'did you enjoy your breakfast', nothing at all. The second morning was better but one staff member was serving so was rushed off her feet.

Best part about the hotel for us was David in the bar. He was always friendly, helpful with restaurant suggestions and made us sandwiches one afternoon when we were hungry. The other staff should take a leaf out of his book.

Next time, I'd probably try one of the many other b&b/hotel options on offer in the area. This hotel is self classified as 4* - it wouldn't definitely not achieve this is rated professionally.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ItchyFeeet
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Booked this hotel very late minute for a one night stay it was not the hotel I wanted but did not appear to be many hotels left being holiday period so not suprising. Was plesantly suprised & bonus, we could see the sea from one of the windows in our room. Hotel is just off the main road so was perfect. Man on reception was helpful & friendly. There is a lift. Family rooms did have a few minor faults especially the bathroom which had holes in the walls?? Would not take much to fill them in or replaster as a small area. Sleeping area was clean & spacious, bathroom clean, small but adequate. Could hear people in next room flushing toilet & showering at silly o'clock in the morning but I do have exceptional hearing & am a light sleeper. Room was very hot & matress a little hard. Lady in bar was nice & friendly.Breakfast was lovely, service good, polite enough but no interaction ie.. did you sleep well etc...Would of been nice to have someone at reception when we left to say thanks for your stay. Would stay again

Room Tip: room 3 sea view from one window