Ben Mhor Hotel(Grantown-on-Spey)
TripAdvisor
Dunallan House(Grantown-on-Spey)
Dava School House(Grantown-on-Spey)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsvenisonscottish hotellovely mealfriendly hotelthe main streetsunday lunchsmall hotelopen firesmall townfirst classlovely roomblack puddingwarm welcomedining roomfour poster bedenjoyable stayevening meal
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

We have stayed in Grantown on Spey 6 times in the past 12 months. We only ever come for a weekend but always have a meal in the Garth Hotel while we are here. We called ahead and booked a table as we have two dogs and therefore always eat in the bar. (Shadow was disappointed not to see Lisa) We have never been disappointed with a meal and the place is usually the highlight of our weekend... until now!
We were handed the à la cart menu, and we asked if we could maybe see the set menu as well. We were told ‘there is no set menu’. We were slightly surprised as the only time we have never seen the à la cart menu before was on Hogmanay, when we ate there with family. We nicely objected and said we have always eaten from the set menu... to which the lady (who looked like she has perhaps taken over from Lisa while she is on maternity leave) stated that she has worked there for over two years and nobody apart from residents of the hotel get to eat from the set menu. Her attitude was nothing short of disgusting. We finished our drinks and left. There are ways of saying things, she should not speak to paying customers in this manner.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2018

I recently stayed for a night at the Garth - almost a year to the day that I last stayed - both times on a guided motorcycle tour of the beautiful highlands. I was "warned" that the hotel had overdone it on tartan - but why not - it's the right look for this part of the world and contributed to a hugely cosy feel. Very happy to accept our bikes and kit, which were kept in perfect safety overnight. I thought the bar was a nice place to start off and the dinner was really flawless - served by a lovely and keen young lady and cooked to perfection. When, on leaving, I realised that I had left an expensive pair of headphones in the bedroom, and unable to return, the hotel immediately located them and mailed them back to London. So overall, an excellent stay and I hope to return.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We stayed Friday and Saturday with a few friends and has an excellent time. The rooms were not fancy but very clean, plenty room and nice and warm. We went there to spend some time walking and sightseeing.
The breakfast was one of the best cooked breakfasts I've had for a long time and good portions.
We ate out on Friday but there were eight of us for a meal on the Saturday night. Every one of us commented on how good the meal was and again ample portions.
In fact our stay was so good all of us are arranging for another visit later in the year.
Very pleasant staff as well.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

We had spent a lovely 3 days in Granton on Spey. We visited the Reindeer, the mountains and Loch Ness utterly fabulous scenery.

On our last night we arranged a table for 4 in the restaraunt. We had decided to stop for a drink in the bar first. Seemed reasonably friendly. We had a drink and after asking for the menus dutifully ordered our food.

What followed can only be described as attrocious. Firstly we were not asked if we wanted any drinks by the waitress, this lasted the entire meal. My medium rare steak was a well done 25 quid abomination. My god the pork belly was overcooked and dry and tiny. The veg was obviously reheated. And the sauce on the chicken had split. Thing is we payed! Why? because we were so hungry.

We couldn't be bothered to complain to the youngster serving because having been asked if we enjoyed our meal, by the waitress and having said no she just giggled, smiled and walked off!!

Having payed the bill at the till and told the very tall bar men our disatifaction he just grinned and said well if you had told me that before you had paid I would have taken it off.... more grinning and off. Dreadful experience.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank guy k
katie010Scotland, Manager at Garth Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Dear Guests Thank you very much for your review. Myself and a lot of my staff working since a long time in hospitality and to be honest we never had a visit like yours here in the past. One Staff member offered you a refund on the same evening where you complaint after you had eaten everything off your plate but you declined. At the same evening you took the time to write this review which we can not understand at all, if you would have told us from the beginning we would have changed your Steak or anything else. The next morning the Guest House where you stayed phoned us to let us know your Complaint and asked us for a full refund for you, you came in and you have got a full refund after you was shouting to our Head Chef in front of reception that other guests could hear it in the hotel. I was pleasant and helpful to you after you told me that you hope that I don't let our Head Chef our to often and when he can't cook he shouldn't be here. I would like to ask you if you visit a restaurant the next time, if you don't like your Meal or anything else let the Staff know from the beginning and they can change it for you. But to complain after the Plate is empty and the full refund is a very unpleasant way. And to every story are mostly two sites and that our Staff Members would have laughed about you i am afraid was also not the case because we all take our positions very serious and try to make every guest happy.

Reviewed 19 April 2018

The Garth Hotel Restaurant was recommended to us, however, on the night we chose to eat there it was totally disorganized. They told us they didn't have a table, then they told us they did. Finally, we were seated and ordered drinks and they never came. We could not even find our waitress and when she did show up, we told her about the drink order and she admitted she had forgotten to put it in. Drinks finally arrived...at least three out of the four did. Food orders taken...again..another wait. When food finally rolled out of the kitchen...it was considerably later in the evening, than we would have liked. Haddock and Chips and a glass of Shiraz should not have taken an evening. The dining room and hotel are charming, but there was something terribly wrong with the service...too bad for such a nice place.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank j68ky
katie010Scotland, Manager at Garth Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Dear Guest My Apologize you haven't enjoyed your Dinner with us. But please, if you leave a feedback like that, can you let also everyone know in your text that you visited the hotel last year in May 2017. We have now April 2018 and part of Team and Management are changed and the Hotel is improving daily. We would like to welcome you back and if you would like to discuss your Visit from last year with me I am happy to listen to you. Thank you very much.