“You get what you pay for”
Review of The Maiden Motel

The Maiden Motel
The Maiden Motel
Ranked #10 of 10 Gateshead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2015

I stayed the weekend of the 5th June for two nights. We were a group of 8 19/20 year olds in Newcastle for a birthday (note this motel is just outside of Newcastle but its only £10 taxi to the centre).
I'm not going to lie and lead on that this place is the best place I've ever stayed but for us it did the job. They have four rooms (we occupied three) upstairs from the pub. The entrance is round the back but even though some of the reviews say its dodgy, I wouldn't say so. The first night the fourth room was unoccupied so we had the place to ourselves.
The rooms are basic but that's all we needed. The only cleanliness fault I found was one of the mugs clearly hadn't been washed as it was clarted in the previous drinker's lipstick. There are a lot of maintenance issues but they were more aesthetical than anything that could harm you. The wifi is free which is a bonus.
I stayed in room 3 with a friend. This is the room with three singles instead of a double and a single. It is also the only room missing an en suite but the bathroom is in the corridor. This wasn't a problem for us as we were a big group. Note: The shower heads DON'T have holders so you have a bit of fun and games trying to hold it up, shower and not soak the bathroom at the same time.
The staff were absolutely lovely and helpful at helping us finding taxis/Chinese/cash machines etc. On our first night we went down to the bar for a few drinks and we even got a free round since it was our friends birthday. The locals were a mix of lovely and odd.
Tip: Bring cash to pay for your room as they don't take card (they do take Scottish notes!) Check out is 10am but I think by the time we all left it was more 11am and the housekeeper didn't seem too fussed.

This is a basic place that's good if you're up for a night out. If you're a family or looking for a nice cosy hotel I probably wouldn't recommend it but perfect for non fussy people looking for a place to crash.

Room Tip: Room 3 has 3 single beds but no en suite. Room 4 is directly above the pub. Room 2 has the biggest T...
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fiona M

Reviewed 27 May 2015

CHECK ALL REVIEWS ON THIS PLACE BEFORE BOOKING! I reserved a room for 2 nights through laterooms.com. You couldn't pay for the room by card, you could only reserve the room by card and had to pay cash when you got there (alarm bells). I gave laterooms 6 days notice I wanted to cancel and despite many emails, phone calls, messages left at reception and voicemails to Managers mobile, all were ignored! Now all of a sudden, as soon as my scheduled booking has come and gone, all of a sudden the Manager coincidentally responds and insists on charging me. Amazing how ALL correspondence was ignored prior to this! It's also amazing how you can't pay for the room by card but they can take the money from your card if you try and cancel. You can no longer book this motel via laterooms or booking.com (more alarm bells). If this place is still trading (which would totally amaze me), a call to the IR and VAT Office will be my next point of call once I have dealt with them through the Travel Ombudsmen and then the police if I have to! Couldn't run a bath let alone a motel. Only giving this 1 star as it is compulsory to give at least 1.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Stephen G
Reviewed 9 May 2015 via mobile

Came here for a weekend with my friends and I've never been to Newcastle before so was abit unsure of what to expect. The pictures on here look ok but not amazing but we decided to book anyways considring of the price! We arrived there and was greeted by a women which was very rude, didn't even say welcome just said you owe us the money because you can't pay by card has to be in cash, which isn't advised!! She explained that we had to walk all the way around the back and up some stairs to our room. She didn't even show us or take us to are room, which was really rude. (When we booked it said we had a private bathroom) and when we got there it was a shared one, which we had to go into town and buy are own toilet paper!!! As there was none!. The music from the pub was banging and people in other rooms banging on our door asking us if we have any beer. It was terrifying as we are just young girls, wouldn't advise anybody to stay here unless desperate. Also it was filthy !!, only had 1 mirror, no plugs & a kettle which had nothing provided with it. Would not stay here again!!

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank Char123455
Reviewed 23 April 2015

Thought to book here as it was cheap. However the place is horrific. I would rather stay at a premier inn or travelogue than here. Music was shaking the bell until early hours. People outside screaming and fighting.

Would not advise anyone to stay here!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2014 via mobile

I don't even know where to start!! Well thought we would have a girls weekend in Newcastle, booked the hotel through late rooms, looked good on the website....we had to check it was the right hotel when we got their! And to our disappointment it was! So go to check in, we got told we could pay by card but the woman said no cash only, so we then get our keys and get told to go round the back of the pub and to go up stairs where the rooms were, their was a horrid Smell as you went up the stairs, also at night theirs no lights so your basically walking up a high set of stairs in the dark! My sister nearly fell down them (and that was her sober) finally got to the rooms was extremely disappointed, very bland rooms, their was a kettle but no cups or coffee ect... No toilet roll!! One towel for the full weekend! Then we go ask for the WiFi password.....the woman didn't know it!!! We had to wait for the boss to come back! Asked where the local shops are....Oh I don't know! Much use as a wasp! Joke of a place! Also says it's near the city centre, very local....pahaa! Will never be back...con artists aswell! Highly recommend paying a bit extra for somewhere decent!

• Stayed: September 2014