“Terrible service”
Review of The Plaice

The Plaice
Ranked #15 of 16 Quick Bites in Bude
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Waited 30 minutes just for someone to take my order - and there was people still waiting for their orders when I left the queue out of frustration (a couple of groups of people behind me also left at the same time as we was commenting how bad the service was). turns out people who preorders online jumps the queue for people in the shop so my advice is DO NOT go in without perordering online first, otherwise you will wait outside forever while preorders will continuously take priority.

terrible system & very slow staff. go to the ultimate fish co down the road instead.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (278)

Reviewed 14 May 2021

We have used The Plaice many times being local and have always had an 'ok' experience, but have always had quite a wait. Due to Covid we decided to have our son's birthday (on a Thursday) down at the beach with some chips after school and our eldest daughter absolutely had to have curly fries, and this was the only place we knew of in town that does them.
Despite ordering online for a particular 5 min time slot, within only a short time of them opening (I ordered at 4:43, they opened at 4:30), we were still waiting for around 30 mins for our food. There were people coming in and ordering their food in the shop, and getting their order almost straight away.
We did place rather a large order, but the organisation and preparation was very poor, and we ended up missing the curly fries entirely. I know that mistakes can be made and wait times are possible, but seeing people come in and order and get their food within such a short time, definitely takes the biscuit.
I thought the online ordering may have made the process a bit smoother and less wait time, but in our experience, it made no difference at all.

Reviewed 11 May 2021

The best fish and chips we've ever had! We stayed at sandymouth Holiday Resort and wanted something nice to take back and eat in our caravan. We drove into Bude and took a chance on this chippy and it did not disappoint. The cod was beautiful as were the sausages in batter. Batter still fresh and crispy when we got back to our caravan. Will definitely be going there again on our next trip!

Reviewed 6 May 2021

My friend and myself visited bude on the 5th May. We thought luch from The place would be nice .we'll what a disapointing meal the chips were greasy the batter on the fish lumpy and un eatable. The fish was so thin .This chip shop should be ashamed serving such rubbish food .we will never go there again

Reviewed 26 April 2021 via mobile

Super quick service. The fish was good but the chips were just average. Some tasted that they should have been in the fryer for longer. Overall not bad

Date of visit: April 2021