“Good Food, Good Staff.”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Warm, friendly atmosphere. Good service and good food make this a must for those staying in Aboyne. Scottish cooking and Scottish ales & whiskeys finish the experience.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Went with a family of 4 and dog, and had a great meal. Food was really good - I had lamb steak and rest had various burgers. Really friendly staff, if a little slow on drinks service.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We turn up at The Boat Inn at 4.40p.m for a very early kids supper before an event that is being held locally. At 4.58p.m I realise that what I want to order is on a snacking menu that’s being served until 5 o’clock, so I ask the waitress if I can hurriedly order a few items before the clock strikes five, she speeds off to the kitchen and upon her return, feigning a pained face of disappointment tells us, with her grimace, that the chef is no longer serving food from the afternoon menu. A minute or so later and along comes another waitress, I plead to have the Ploughman’s cheese board, it’s now precisely 5.01pm (I point my phone at her as I order, so I know exactly what time it is), another trip to the kitchen and this time another pained face but a positive response, hoorah the chef in all his majesty, splendour and generosity has deemed it acceptable to prepare a plate of food for us, oh how we feel privileged. The rest of our group orders without difficulty. A few minutes later and our infamous ploughman’s board comes along and the disappointment waves over me, like a desperate scene in a tragic Greek love story, heartbroken I sorrowfully look down at the meagre meal that I had to beg for. The cheese, unappetising is mostly the crust at the end of the wedge, the salad is hideously overdressed and totally inedible for it and the chutney tastes like an acrid chemical; how I imagine battery acid might taste. I slather a thin layer of it on a cheesy oatcake and physically recoil in disgust. My belly is testament to the amount of pub grub I have consumed in my life and this is a dismal attempt, not even an attempt, at least I hope the chefs weren’t making effort, they certainly didn’t look hard at work as they sucked on cigarettes in the car park, this inedible fodder can’t be deemed fit for human consumption, I wouldn’t even condemn my dog to eat this stuff. I nearly forgot the ham that looks and smells appalling; it doesn’t pass my lips. Food aside, the room within which we are sitting is acceptable, no blaring music and the decor isn’t bad but the really awful thing about this pub, worse even than the food, is the staff. “Surly” would be understatement of the millennia, each and every member of staff we encounter today is positively unfriendly and unhelpful, scowling at clients and treating us like something nasty they might have trodden on. Whomever is in charge here needs to do something drastic, I can’t believe they have much repeat custom if every customer is treated in the way we were, by the way we were a group of four adults with three young toddlers, not exactly hells angels, we spoke calmly and politely, we used words like “please” and “thank you”, words which staff members have completely forgotten about, or never learned in the first place. Customer service is dreadful, food is woefully awful, someone needs to buy this place, sack everyone who is currently involved with this pitiful business and start again. Don’t go, just walk on by and go somewhere, anywhere, anywhere else than here.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Second visit here in the past 12 months, and still the same excellent quality food and very caring service - especially with 5 children in our party. Waitresses knew exactly how to manage a large party and were brilliant with the children, who sat on a separate table next to us which was great. Would heartily recommend.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Hubby and I came here for a last minute meal. The menu is basic pub grub done well. The staff are friendly, the choices of wines are simple but well selected. The food came out and it was exactly what it said it would be, no frills but well cooked and very tasty. After dinner we went and sat in the snug at the other side of the pub which was very cosy and well done. A great cosy pub for food and socialising. We didn’t bring our dogs but they were welcome in the snug area. Will definitely be back here. Keep up the good work!!