“Good reports”

Lilicos
Ranked #20 of 158 Restaurants in Barnstaple
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tapas offering in a Lounge Bar enviroment great choice of lunchtime specials,lunch and brunch to cater for everyone. Great choice of Coffee craft beers and cocktails.
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Popped in before visiting theatre. Ordered a selection of dishes. I ordered mussels checked they were local Appledore mussels, mussels arrived later than everything else apologies from the waitress unfortunately they were awful very pale almost grey didn't look or taste very nice sent them back. When paying waitress apologised for mussels but still charged us ! Other dishes were ok vegetarian paella was disappointing as heard good reports about paella . Service & atmosphere great.

1  Thank Helen A
Chris S, Owner at Lilicos, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Dear Helen
Thank you for your review,i remember the night in question as i was cooking.Your party came into us as a table of 3 and as i was led to believe from the waitress you were on a schedule so i did try to cook as much as possible to order for you,so you all had your food together as you were not sharing due to personal preferences (this is not the way we wish to serve tapas at Lilicos as we do try and encourage sharing) but we do always try to accomodate the customers requests where we can so apologies for the mussels coming out later than the other dishes.
The Mussels were fresh and i can only apologise that they were not to your taste,regards the Paellla once again apologies it was not to your taste.
Nice to hear that you liked the service and atmosphere and apologies for getting charged for the Mussels,i will have a word with the member of staff in question.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

When I first ate here my friends and I ordered some tapas to share which were quite pleasant. Some of the plates being quite generous portions such as the paella. The food was good... Maybe we ordered well on that occasion.

I returned a couple months later as I remembered a pleasant lunch here. This time I ordered of the specials menu, however, there was nothing special about what I ordered. I had the seafood linguine. The pasta definitely had been reheated or microwaved and the 'seafood' was out of the freezer and consisted of predominately mussels out their shell but also had some tiny prawns and squid chucked in too. The creamy sauce would have been nice if it wasn't disguised by the taste of unfresh and chewy seafood. The best thing about it was the ONE 'king prawn' placed on top.

The staff were friendly. The drinks and atmosphere were good too. Shame the food isn't consistent here.

Chris S, Owner at Lilicos, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Dear Customer
Thank you for taking the time to review us and I apologise that your experience with us wasn't as enjoyable as last time. I would be very surprised if we had used a microwave to reheat the pasta but will definitely check with the kitchen as this would be unacceptable. The seafood is bought in and unfortunately we don't always get the ratio of mussels to prawns right but will look into that as well.
Glad the atmosphere and staff were good and as always if we are made aware at the time of any problems, we are then in a better position to rectify our shortfalls, I will make-sure staff are doing the necessary table checks when serving food and dealing with customers.
Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 19 April 2018

I've heard a few people recommend Lilicos to me and I decided to pay a visit with my mum recently. We felt so welcome by everyone that worked there who were so helpful and lovely! We had the paella (which was incredible, and so filling!) and some chips which were really great too! So reasonably priced too for the amount of food you get and how good it tastes!

We'll definitely be dining at Lilicos again soon, we were both so impressed!

Chris S, Owner at Lilicos, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Thank you so much for your review it really is much appreciated,so nice to hear positive feedback from other customers as well,and great to hear you enjoyed the atmosphere as well as the tapas Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Family meal. A great selection of Tapas, all very nice. The Paella is amazing and would definitely recommend it. The atmosphere is great, staff attentive and friendly. Good selection of drinks and draughts. Only reason it’s not a 5* was the difference in timing of dishes arriving at table, half the table arrive at once and then waiting 10 minutes for the rest. All came hot and fresh though so not a massive issue. Would definitely return.

Chris S, Owner at Lilicos, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Ash
Thank you for your review,we do aim to try and send a selection of dishes to the table for you to start sharing,then send the rest out at a leisurely pace.
We always appreciate feedback and as mentioned the vast majority of dishes are cooked to order but we will always try and accomodate where possible customers wishes for a 'quicker service' to the table.
Really glad you enjoyed the dishes and hopefully see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Very well placed at the edge of town centre. Comfortable chairs, varied menu and good service with reasonably priced food.

Chris S, Owner at Lilicos, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thankyou for taking the time to review it is much appreciated,so glad you like the varied menu and prices.Hope to see you again soon