“Worth a 2nd chance”

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Durham
Ranked #42 of 357 Restaurants in Durham
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Ok, first off - fantastic setting, lovely food but service was absolutely dire.

Started off by ordering 4 drinks in the bar and waiting 20 minutes for them to appear. Never mind we’re only here for the food. To set the scene our waitress said “if you need anything just give me a shout!” Hardly 4 star service.
Ordered starters and mains and waited an hour for the starters to arrive. The annoying part was no excuse,no explanation and complete avoidance by staff. After an hour I asked what was going on and magically they appeared in minutes.
The mains came very promptly and were delicious. A second bottle of wine that we hadn’t ordered came and went in the meantime.
The setting is amazing and I really expected amazing service. The drinks we’d brought through from the bar were collected after 2 hours. The starter cutlery I had and didn’t need (I ordered soup) stayed there for the whole meal. Trivial points but wouldn’t happen with good service even in my local Indian.
We spent £170 including a pre-ordained tip and no management appeared to hear what we had to say, good or bad. You might ask “why pay it” but for a family meal I don’t need an argument.
Despite the above I’ll leave it a few months and try again but you won’t be getting a 3rd chance if it’s rubbish again.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

A recently opened restaurant in Durham city, in a beautiful old building refurbished very tastefully.

Truly amazing food we had three courses each and each one was cooked to perfection.The staff where very friendly and very knowledgeable about the dishes. All in all a great night, we will definitely be back.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

A long awaited birthday treat from my partner, as the restaurant and hotel have only just opened and it certainly didn't disappoint. A wonderful all round experience, the food was incredible, the surroundings beautiful and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, especially Ruth and Stacey, certainly two gems in the MPW crown. Can't wait for our next visit. Thanks

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I visited the Steakhouse for an Afternoon Tea which was very enjoyable. The Restaurant is part of a new hotel in Durham, Hotel Indigo. The food was lovely and the staff (Kerry was our main waitress) couldn't have done any more for us than they did. It will be a pleasure to return at a later date.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Had a lovely afternoon tea with a lovely friend, scones a little dry but overall a lovely experience. The staff very attentive but no over the top, hotel beautiful and looks like original features had been kept very welcoming will definitely go back and try the restaurant. A welcome addition to Durham