“Delicious food but could have bigger portions.”
Review of Zen

Zen
Ranked #34 of 354 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 8 June 2018

My boyfriend and I shared the salt and pepper prawns and squid for a starter. The prawns and squid were beautifully fried and the dip was delicious, but we only got 3 pieces each. I would have expected much more considering it was £9.50 for the dish!
For the main, I had the night market seafood noodles. The selection of seafood was great: mussels, prawns, squid, monkfish, and scallops. This all came in a lovely spicy and sweet sauce, with noodles. Overall, it was delicious but could have come with more noodles considering the price.
To finish, we both had the white chocolate torte, which was perfect in terms of taste, portion size, and price.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,293)

Reviewed 5 June 2018

Had a lovely lunch here. Ordered a variety of dishes and each one was very good. Finished off with a very beautiful glass of floral tea. Would recommend.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Visited Zen last Tuesday with the hubby to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We have been before and it never disappoints and this time was no different. One thing we noticed straight away was how busy the restaurant was for a Tuesday evening. However this did not affect the service one bit and in fact made for a great atmosphere. Food was excellent and steaming hot, I had the surf and turf noodles which were to die for. Suitably stuffed when we left. Can't wait until our next visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

We visited with our 8 month old baby for lunch on a busy Saturday and asked if we could sit in the conservatory area just in case our baby became agitated as I didn’t want to disturb other diners.

We were seated at a table with a highchair that didn’t look as if it had ever been cleaned, and ordered our drinks. The floor was also not the cleanest with green slime visible near the tables behind us. These arrived quickly and we placed our order (a number of dumpling dishes, tapas dishes and one main. We had asked for everything to be served together other than the prawn crackers.

The prawn crackers were lovely and fresh with a number of chilli sauces at the table to choose from. Our other dishes then arrived. The dumplings were stunning, as was the sushi tapas dish. The duck pancakes on the other hand were average and the night fish market dish was almost inedible due to the stodgy noodles that were clumped together.

Overall it was a bit hit and miss and I don’t think we’ll be returning.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Visited Zen on Saturday for dinner and was impressed from the minute we got there. Tasty cocktails, super speedy service and excellent food. I had the duxk satay which was beautiful, the best duxk curry I've had. Would definitely like to come back