“First Time Visitors”

Ranked #5 of 21 Coffee & Tea in Durham
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 30 April 2018

we do lots of walking in Durham and have tried most cafes in Durham but always been unable to get a table here until Saturday so we thought we'd try it. It was fairly busy but we had good service throughout. I got the Eggs Benedict (see photo) which is as good as I've had in Durham with a large Americano and the Mrs got the scrambled egg on toast which was also good. Hope to visit again in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

I was completely overlooked, waiting to be served. After I had waited 10 mins or so two young men came and sat at the adjoining table. The waitress came and gave them both menus then returned minutes later to take their orders, completely ignoring me. The young men were sympathetic, offered me a menu. When a waiter did come to see me I complained and was told " sorry". i have been a regular customer here, but this makes me less inclined to visit.

1  Thank Sandra H
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

This charming cafe is located next to the river below the Market Place and is very close to the shops but hidden so takes a bit of finding. You can access it by going down the steps and then a long slope at the top of Silver Street just before it joins the Market Place. It is very comfortable and relaxed with seating inside and out. The coffee is very well made and the cakes are homemade and fantastic. We shared a strawberry cheesecake muffin which was amazing and not expensive in fact less than Costa or Nero.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Four of us for breakfast in Durham this came recommended by my son. Arriving at the coffee house we had to mill about outside for 2 minutes waiting for a table and even then we were in the easy chairs rather than at a real table. This place is not big and if you want to guarantee a place you need to book. Once we got upstairs (tight) we then had to wait for a while to be served. There seemed to be plenty of staff around they just seemed to be working at half pace. Breakfast when it finally arrived was very tasty - well cooked, well presented. If they could get their act together from a service point of view this would be brilliant

1  Thank 509Martin
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Went here on a sunday with my mum and sister and had booked a table, walked in and abruptly got told we couldn't come in because they were full, when I managed to get a word in and said we had a table the lady told us to go upstairs and it would be up there. As soon as we walked up the stairs we got hit with the heat! It was so hot I had to ask twice for the windows to be opened and ended up having to fan myself with a napkin! I appreciate it was a busy afternoon, but the cafe was definitely under staffed. The poor girl was rushed off her feet upstairs making coffees, and so we were unsure if we had to place our order downstairs or she would come and take it.
The menu seemed slightly limited, I ordered poached eggs and toast, and by the time it came I was starving. Yet I managed to gobble it up within 5 minutes because it was a very small portion and was left still hungry. We were then going to order some cake and coffee for afterwards, but it took so long to get someones attention to order, we decided to go elsewhere, paid the bill and left. Not the best experience...

3  Thank charlie1898