“Excellent - accomodation, views, friendliness of...”
Durham farm cottages County Durham
Durham farm cottages
County Durham
Stowhouse farm cottages
Durham holidays
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Emily S
Golden, Colorado
“Perfectly adequate but nothing special”
Reviewed 6 July 2013 for a stay in June 2013

Stowhouse Farm was a disappointment. Negatives: The property owner briefly introduced herself as we were leaving--not on arrival. We didn't feel like it was all that important to her that we were her guests. The three bedroom rental had only one bathroom--with five of us, that was a pain in the neck to manage. We never would have found the location without a friend from the area--it wasn't anywhere as close to Durham as anticipated and truly in the countryside. Took about 30 minutes to get to Durham. We had the Cornmill Cottage--clutzy layout. Small details were irritating such as having a mirror in the bedroom at chest level due to the slanted wall--why not furnish with a desk or makeup table with a chair instead of a chest of drawers, so one didn't have to bend over to use it? Kitchen table and chairs were too large for the space. It just wasn't very well thought out. Positives: It was very clean and well kept. There was a half fridge and a half freezer, so lots of space for ice, etc. The bed was firm and the comforter a good weight. The sheep and lambs just across the drive were darling. Horses in the pasture very idyllic. Recommendations: Read the details in descriptions carefully--I did not and missed the fact that there was only one bathroom. Think through what you want--if the warmth and engagement of the manager is desired, a B&B might be a better choice. If you are not familiar with traveling in a different country, consider getting accommodations in town. Driving in the English countryside with minimal signage is very challenging. I would recommend this vacation rental to a friend totally depending on what type of vacation was envisioned--I am sure that Stowhouse Farm would be a nice place for many types of travelers but it did not suit us.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Listening to the sheep in the pasture
Liked least: Sharing one bathroom with four other people
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
Management Response
5 Jul 2013
Dear Mrs Sandelin.
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your 2 night stay with us from the USA. I am surprised to read your comments as on meeting your party I was informed that you had all enjoyed your stay with us and the cottage was to your liking.
We try our utmost to personally greet all of our guests on their arrival and do our best to make them feel welcome. Regrettably, on this occasion due to your late arrival on the Saturday evening I was not able to greet you. I called round to the cottage on Sunday but unfortunately you were unavailable and as you were leaving on the Monday morning this was the first opportunity I had to meet you. I did also apologise to your party on our meeting that we had not met on your arrival. I am sorry if you felt unimportant but I can assure you that you all of our guests views are important to us.
I also regret that your trip from America proved difficult in that you found our English countryside difficult to navigate. We do try to assist in this matter and provided you as we do all our guests with clear directions to the cottage along with details of key collection. Our website also has a ‘How to find us’ function at the bottom of the home page. Our location in proximity to Durham is also shown on the local attractions page of our website. We do our best to give a clear representation of our cottages on the website so that guests are not disappointed on arrival. You are right to point out that all guests should read the literature provided carefully and ask any questions which they feel are unanswered prior to booking.
I am sorry to hear that you did not like the cottage and that its layout was not well thought out. The cottages are converted from old farm buildings and have a little character in that they have varying ceiling heights in some of the rooms. We do give a lot of thought to our furniture and are constantly updating to accommodate our guests needs. We do however have limitations due to the nature of the buildings. There are full length mirrors in both of the other rooms and a dressing table in the master upstairs room. I shall certainly look to put a full length mirror into the room in question. Sorry to hear that you felt that the six seat kitchen table was too large for the kitchen.
I am however pleased that you liked the animals and had sufficient room for ice. Please accept my apologies once again for your disappointment in the cottage, its location and our late meeting.
Kind regards

Reviewed 20 June 2013 for a stay in May 2013

A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Rugged travelers
Frelts
“Lovely cottages. Wish we'd stayed longer!”
Reviewed 29 March 2013 for a stay in March 2013

15 of us stayed in Bramble, Bluebell and Cornmill cottages. All 3 cottages were clean, fresh and offering plenty of space.
Wonderful views, amenities nearby with Lancester only a 10-15min drive and a perfect spot for those who love walking.
Thanks to Jane and Keith for putting the heating on before we arrived!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Clean and homely
Liked least: Staying only 2 nights
Travelling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing