“Dirty not quirky”

and 1 more site!
Fifteens of Swinley
Ranked #2 of 5 Wigan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 October 2016

The following is an email I sent to this establishment. Consequently we have have not had a reply and I have backed this up with three phone calls and two voicemail messages. I am surprised by the good reviews but then if you scan down you will find more reviews like mine.......

We stayed at your rooms on Saturday night and would like a full refund for the following reasons;

The carpet had not seen a vacuum cleaner in a while and the bathroom floor also had bits on it. The stained carpet in the room does little to mask the need for vacuuming.

The sink in the bathroom is not fit for purpose. The taps are nearly as big as the sink. There is no plug and so a standard face wash is very nearly impossible, Due to the condition of the floor we decided against using the shower facilities.

The room is cold and draughty and the single radiator goes no way towards heating it adequately.

We arrived tired and ready for a weekend away. We left exhausted. Your other guests are obviously not aware that the door marked "doctors surgery" is a guest room and not the entrance to the hotel. We were woken at 11.45 by someone trying to get in and then banging on the door loudly for the next 10 mins. I was terrified. And as a consequence I watched tv all night as I couldn't sleep. But then sleep would have been impossible due to the noise from the room above ours until the small hours. I think someone fell out of bed twice. We did not realise until the next morning when we were leaving and there was a foreign man smoking with the door open to what I assume is the entrance to the main rooms that that might have been why we were woken by a drunken guest trying to get in. We did try calling the hotel for help but this went to answer phone. What happens in an emergency if one of us was a disabled visitor? This would have been very alarming and they would have had to call the police for assistance.

You need to advise people staying in this particular room that the mattresses are old and no longer supportive and that loud drunken pedestrian traffic is to be expected until the small hours during the weekends due to the location.

All in all this does not live up to what was implied on the website. My husband had tried to plan a spontaneous weekend away for us to be able to visit with his elderly poorly mother in Wigan at her care home and then spend some time relaxing. Needless to say we did not relax and returned home the next morning without doing our planned visit to Liverpool for the day. If there had been anyone available we would have addressed this immediately.

I would like a full refund of my husbands hard worked for money for a room that was "dirty not quirky" and for the lack of sleep due to all the omitted things from your website regarding this substandard room.

Room Tip: The location for Wigan is perfect but there are other options available with the same location.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie W

Reviewed 27 October 2016

Room was cold. Beds old and extremely uncomfortable. Room and bathroom dirty. Awoken at midnight by loud banging on door by someone trying to gain access to the room. Wholly overpriced. Management yet to respond to numerous emails and phone calls of complaint. Ignore it and it will go away. DO NOT PAY IN ADVANCE. Travelodge is the better option than this dump.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2016

Convenient location, but no car parking. Friendly staff, clean well appointed room, but there appeared to be no one available after 11:00 p.m.should there be a problem.
Quite pricy considering no breakfast was included.
What is irritating is that I left something behind, which they confirmed they had found and promised to post it to me (I promised to refund any costs); that was four weeks ago and despite several phone calls I am still waiting!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

This pub is what I would call old school. It has a very unusual decor but very charming. The staff are very friendly and not afraid to talk to you either as a regular or a new friend. It is also a hotel which offers rooms with room only accomodation each room has its owm definite character.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ian M
Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed for one night only, but loved the room. It was immaculate, and we loved the funky decor. The bed was huge and very comfy. The staff were great as well, very friendly and helpful. Keep up the good work guys

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple