“Wow....”

Cantina Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #15 of 203 Restaurants in Paignton
Description: We are a friendly, family-run cafe/bar/restaurant set on the edge of beautiful Youngs Park. Just a stones throw from Goodrington Sands Beach. We welcome dogs and everyone else! Our food is freshly cooked from raw ingredients. From doorstep sandwiches to our famous hake and handcut chips. Fresh seafood from nearby Brixham market feature often on our specials boards along with meat and produce from surrounding farms. We love being here at Cantina and we really hope you'll like us too.
Reviewed 19 May 2018

......Thursday night meal here. Great food and terrific vfm. Starter was actually big enough for 2 of us. Recommend for a really good night out.

Reviewed 17 May 2018

Lovely location in a beautiful park right by the beach. We had heard good things about this restaurant, we thought we'd try it. Not disappointed, very good service lovely friendly staff. The bacon sandwich was excellent I can honestly say it's one of the best I have ate.

Reviewed 9 May 2018

I'd heard good things about La Cantina so went with high expectations that were not disappointed. The food was delicious, I chose vegan fish and chips, and the atmosphere was fun and warm and friendly. Best of all food and drink is sourced locally. It was ultra dog friendly and very relaxed. I will be going back for sure!

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

Having visited this lovely place before the new name and under new ownership, I had my concerns “ it will never be the same again “ but I was wrong, Cantina is both relaxed and friendly, the menu is varied and different, local beers available. We called in on Saturday lunchtime, and unfortunately upon helping myself to cutlery, it took me several attempts to find any in the silver bucket that was anywhere near clean, food bits and slime on at least six or seven before I found anything clean. I pointed this out to a member of staff. I think someone needs a word with the KP. Really not nice seeing what the previous user had for lunch !!!

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

I have been to Cantina hundreds of times, sometimes on my own, sometimes with others. Sadly my opinion has lessened overtime & remarkably, since the ‘renovation’, my opinion has continued to decline.

The renovation was brilliant, opening up new spaces, providing more seating & the toilets are so much better than they were before. I am sure bit by bit work will continue to improve the feeling & function. During February into March it was often very cold & so I found myself keeping my coat/jacket on inside. I noticed that new hot air curtains were being installed, so hopefully this will improve.

When I last visited I sat in the new atrium bit, with tall ceilings which are decorated beautifully in a copper. I enjoyed a coffee, or tried to, because I was bombarded by large blue bottles flying around, landing on me, my things & the people around me. I know it is difficult to tackle flies, but with the kitchen more open plan than before, I think it is something that should be looked into.

One of the bigger problems I have with Cantina now - each time I visit I seem to overhear a complaint from a disgruntled customer. This happens, I get that you cant please everyone, but it seems to happen frequently enough. Further to this, sometimes the responses of the staff when said customer has gone, are a bit below par. This is a bit off putting. Also, with the kitchen being so open plan now, you can hear & see everything going on - staff could be more mindful of this.

In a nutshell you can get good coffee here, nice cake & good food if you’re in the mood. It is bright, cheerful & the staff are friendly. You’re just a moment from the sea & can sit inside or outside in the sunshine should you chose. Dogs are allowed inside which is ideal for those out walking & need a break...

Charlie M, Owner at Cantina Kitchen and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Ken

I am dissappointed to learn that your 'opinion has lessened' since your first poor Tripadvisor review of Cantina at the end our very first summer season a year and a half ago.

I will try and tackle your complaints again.

You are correct, we did have a problem with sudden draughts after reopening having opened the inside space up.
As you also noticed, this was rectified with additional heaters.

Most businesses experience occasional trouble with pests. Food premises, as you can imagine, must be extra diligent.
We have a contract with a highly reputable pest control company who always respond swiftly.
We did have some flies in the new extension. We responded within 2 hours of noticing the problem and the company had intalled a solution the very next day. (I note from our food safety paperwork that this happened almost two months ago)

It was just unlucky that you were here on the same day as the flies.

Finally, your complaint that you over-hear other customers' complaints 'each time I visit' cannot truly be the case, as you mention that you have 'been to Cantina hundreds of times' that would mean 100 complaints unresolved.

If there have been complaints over-heard by you and not responded to properly by our staff, then that concerns me. However, I can only respond to specific complaints directly with the customer concerned and not through a third party with no details.

In conclusion, Ken, I am glad you like our coffee, the renovations and the toilets but if we have not been able to change in the way you would like since your first review, I can see from your other reviews that there other establishments in Paignton that you may prefer to visit instead.