Culloden Estate & Spa
Malmaison(Belfast)
US$152
US$147
1,858 results
All reviewscultra innmitre restaurantafternoon teabeautiful hotelupgraded to a suitecrozier loungemacaroonsstar experiencewedding anniversarypure luxuryfirst classthe general managermain restaurantfrom start to finishhastings groupduckdrawing room
Reviewed 9 July 2015

The hotel is on the shores of Belfast lough with good views across. Staff are accommodating and unobtrusive. The rooms are comfortable and quiet. My only issue was the level of condensation in the bathroom. Maybe better ventilation needed. The spa area is clean and tranquil. The breakfast was full, copious and tasty.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2015

Dear Detoxed,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent visit to The Culloden Estate & Spa. I appreciate your feedback in regards to the bathroom and lack of ventilation. This has been highlighted to the housekeeping manager. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 7 July 2015

From your first meeting with the receptionist, until you finish breakfast on your last morning, you will be treated royally. We had the Belfry Suite, very kindly donated by our daughter and son in law. The room was large bright and airy, the bathroom, with its lovely deep bath, and fabulous shower, was equally bright and spotlessly clean. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable, and the views over Belfast Lough on a sunny weekend, stunning.
We were at a wedding, our daughters, so I can't speak about the restaurant, but if the food at the wedding breakfast was anything to go by, the restaurant is a must. One miniscule niggle, was the bacon for breakfast, I think it spent too long in the oven! Other than that, a fabulously luxury hotel, where you can truly relax.

Room Tip: Try to choose a suite.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family

Dear Nixdiner,

Thank you for finding the time to write a review on your recent visit to The Culloden Estate & Spa. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 7 July 2015

I stayed at the Culloden for two nights with work and was very impressed. From the moment I arrived (quite late on in the evening) I was looked after and made to feel welcome.

The grounds are lovely for a walk around and, although I didn't use it, I explored the spa area and that looked good too. Definitely pack swimwear!

I ate at the pub within the grounds rather than in the hotel itself, and enjoyed my meal. Service was great too.

Breakfast at the hotel was good - the only place I've stayed that has a bottle of Whiskey next to the porridge to 'add to taste'! I stuck with the honey instead... The restaurant has a great view and it was nice and peaceful, a good way to start the day.

My room was large, with a massive comfy bed and a big bathroom. Only slight issue was that it hadn't been cleaned when I got back at 4.30pm. I called reception and someone came round to do it, but I wasn't expecting to have to chase in this quality of hotel. That said, I'd hardly left it in a mess, so it wasn't the worst thing that could have happened!

All in all, a very attractive, impressive hotel, with great staff and service. I can see why people get married there and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business

Dear Solarpurple,

I am thrilled to hear that your were well looked after and welcomed during your stay with us. I appreciate your feedback regarding housekeeping and I apologise for any inconvenience this caused. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Culloden Estate & Spa in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 7 July 2015 via mobile

This hotel is one of the best I've had the chance to stay in! The food is of a very high quality, the grounds are just perfect and the service style is friendly and not just robots, which is great to see they can still deliver on service standards, while showing their personality!

The crozier suite was amazing, and I have been told by the other half that the spa visit was second to none - having the "total relaxation" package!

All in all a must stay! Special mention to Ryan in the restaurant - he was exceptional! They also recommended some great bars and restaurants in the city centre, which is really nice to see!

Planning our return visit now we are home in Dundee!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisSymonds
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2015

Dear ChrisSymonds,

Thank you for your review on your recent visit to The Culloden Estate & Spa. We pride ourselves on offering our guests a high standard in all areas of the hotel and I am pleased that you recognised this. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 7 July 2015

Booked two nights for a family wedding - solely on the basis it was convenient as it was the location of the reception, with the bonus that it looked nice and offered a good rate for B&B.
Arrived not expecting too much, as I've stayed in many 'country hotels' that have spas, business centres and all the rest bolted on the back of the original country house - and are usually 'fine', but that's about it. Hotels that tick boxes, don't get complaints, but ultimately have the personality of a Premier Inn (I actually like Premier Inns, but their goal always seems to be inoffensive).
The Culloden isn't like a Premier Inn - and I feel bound to apologize for my assumption.
First off, we loved our stay.
Why? Well many reasons and I'll just rattle through the highlights.
1) It genuinely feels friendly with staff that want to be there. We were welcomed at the main door, the reception, and then by a porter (I'm grasping for a better word), who descended on us in the lobby to show us to our room and then vanished without the usual fishing for a tip.
2) The Cultra Inn. On the edge of the grounds is a lovely gastro-pub that serves good local food, drink, and was invaluable as a meeting/eating spot for all the informal stuff that is usually a right pain around main-wedding events.
My only criticism is that they again seem tip-averse, with the only way to express gratitude to the staff being a beer mug you can shove cash in. Please do though.
3) The grounds. They're not huge, but added to our stay immeasurably. Rolling lawns, overlooking Belfast Loch, with Cultra Inn (see above) on the other side of them. Normally I feel a little 'trapped' in a hotel out of town, but we felt no urge to jump in the rental-car and 'escape' at any point. Lovely bar in the main part of the hotel, that seemed happy to serve guests in shorts - although I did feel compelled to shy away from the main restaurant filled with people having what looked like fantastic meals (which, I fully intend to cover my ankles and join them in asap).
4) The room. Possibly the best bed I've ever slept on, huge bathroom, functional free wi-fi, and nice smelly things to cleanse with AND AIRCON. Maybe the only negative I have is that we randomly got allocated a room described as 'executive' (a term only usually meaning you get free slippers and a robe). We were staying in unusually hot weather and our room was faultless. The rest of our party were staying in another wing of the hotel, which didn't have aircon and featured windows you could only open a few inches. Their rooms were unpleasantly warm and had that ineffable 'business shin-dig' feel.
5) Sourcing. Lots of little pamphlets lying about telling you where what you are about to consume comes from. Normally I write this all off as corporate bobbins, but here I really quite enjoyed it. The wonderful Scampi that we were recommended at the Cultra on arrival, the next day I found out the provenance of. King Koil beds are now on my research list. The Irish Breakfast was a revelation as pretty much every item on the buffet or the cooked breakfast could be looked up, as I took a mouthful and thought "ooh that's damn good, wonder where that white pudding came from?" We got quite upset when we came across some stunning cheese with unidentifiable bits in it (wallnuts?), that we'd no idea what it was - and I now can't order it at home,now.

Suppose I should summarize now..
Fantastic hotel, throw yourself into it, I didn't hit a bad facet.
My only concerns would be to check out the rates - I was disorganized and booked late and without the 'wedding discount' the published rate was an eye-watering 2.5x more at the time. Try to get a rate with the breakfast, it's £20 by itself (which for once may be worth it), but if you're a couple is a serious saving off the rack room-rate.

Room Tip: Ask for an 'executive' room.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family

Dear Goldcd,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with such great feedback following your recent stay at The Culloden Estate & Spa. I am thrilled that you received excellent customer service throughout your visit! I am also pleased to hear that you appreciated our food provenance as this is something we pride ourselves on within the hotel. We look forward to your return.