All reviewschinese restauranttea coffee and toastkippersfree wifibreakfast was freshly cookedhousekeeping staffeach morningfull englishcleaned dailysea viewbed linenrooms are cleanvery pleasant staylarge roomhorse tramsexcellent staywould stay again
Reviewed 7 May 2017

Arrived late evening and greeted by pleasant young lady who gave us the room key and directed us to our room via the tiniest lift I have ever seen. Room very clean with magnificent view over Douglas Bay. Congratulations to the designer who managed to shoehorn the bathroom/toilet into such a compact space. However it proved to be more than adequate. Not being lovers of oriental food, only used the restaurant on one occasion but found the food delicious! A must for the Chinese food lover! Overall a lovely stay, clean rooms, excellent breakfasts and very friendly and accommodating staff willing to provide anything :- Just ask! Great value for money!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at front have magnificent sea views
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malcolm D
Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

Simple yet very pleasant stay here. Rooms were nice & cleaned daily. The staff were friendly. The food was absolutely fantastic, definitely worth visiting just for that. Overall a nice place to stay & happy with the experience.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2017

My reviews of hotels are always based on whether I would care to return.

To this one? No way, even if you paid me. It is lucky to get any rating at all, especially for charging me so much for so little.

Where do I start? The most serious problem was cold water in the morning, in a cold bathroom, making a shower impossible … unless you thrive on that sort of thing.

Finding a hotel employee who spoke English (or indeed, just finding an employee full stop) wasn’t easy. When one could be found, I was told that hot water would be available in “half-an-hour”. In “half-an-hour” I was told “probably, later”. For the next two days it was barely lukewarm. Not at all good when the weather was a bit chilly.

Then there was the rubbery breakfast with overcooked eggs. One day it too was cold (obviously not very well microwaved). And was that really toast or cardboard? Then, one morning my coffee turned lumpy… the milk was well off.

Breakfast is also served in the hotel’s Chinese restaurant (the main business, I would guess), which was at times off-putting because of lingering smells from the night before.

OK, the hotel has a nice outlook on the seafront and is near to the electric railway and horse-drawn trams, but its appeal finishes there … certainly, my bedroom (without a view) had as much ambience as a wet blanket, with very tired decor and shoddy furniture.

Oh, and there was no coffee for the “tea and coffee” making facilities on the first day.

Three-star hotel? You have to be kidding.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front would have a good view over the bay
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter G
Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

We recently moved to the Isle of Man and needed a temporary place to stay while the purchase of our new home went through. The Caledonia is a suitable place to stay with a homely feel and friendly staff. The room we stayed in was comfortable and clean with a brilliant shower en suite. The owner was very friendly and made you feel so welcome.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2016

Booked last minute visiting family, booked two rooms, got a good deal without food which was ok with us. rooms were clean but dated, we didn't book 4 or 5 star so was happy with what we got. There is a take away down stairs, we had a high floor so noise and food odour was not a problem

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family