“Well worth the praise and reputation.”
Review of Hinnies Restaurant

Hinnies Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Hinnies Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 168 Restaurants in Whitley Bay
Price range: US$10 - US$78
Cuisines: British
Description: Hinnies is located right on the sea front in Whitley Bay serving fabulous Geordie Comfort Food. We’re open for brunch, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner from Tuesday to Sunday (closed Sunday evenings). You’ll find out menus on our website. Come and find out why we were voted Best Value Restaurant in The Journal and nominated Best small Business in North Tyneside! You may also know our sister restaurants, Blackfriars and Dobson & Parnell in Newcastle city centre.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Last year in the Guardian's top 100 restaurants, 90 were based in London, of the remaining 10, four were based in the North East and one in Whitley Bay, no surprise that is was Hinnies.

Being a Whitley Bay resident I took the opportunity to visit this restaurant for lunch with my daughter and it certainly didn't disappoint. The restaurant is ideally situated on Whitley Bay sea front, overlooking the north sea. The decor is lovely and relaxed, with natural colours and excellent staff. The tables are also not too close together, which is a problem in certain nearby Whitley Bay restaurants.

As for the food my daughter and I had the fish platter to share for starter and it was lovely. You get mackerel pate, hot smoked salmon and fish cakes with home made tartare sauce, we were also meant to get pickled mussels but there were none available so they gave us extra salmon. For mains I had the rolled belly pork with pease pudding and my daughter had the rump steak (a £3.00 supplement), my daughter likes her steak cooked rare and it was cooked perfectly. I had the lemon cheesecake with rhubarb compote for dessert, my daughter had the banana cake, with caramelised banana and coconut ice cream. All the food was simply fabulous.

The truly amazing part though was the price, a three course lunch with a glass of Prosecco was £18.00 per person, the bill for the two of us including the steak supplement was £39.00, incredible value.

We cannot recumbent this restaurant highly enough, next time I'm going to try the black pudding scotch egg with broon sauce to start. Whitley Bay is undergoing a massive facelift at the moment, hopefully more people will get to try this wonderful restaurant, we'll certainly be back.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Went out for a family meal and were very let down. Two portions of fish and chips, delivered on paper but when tipped onto plate it filled less than half. The chips on all of our meals were inedible - the worst we had tasted, supposedly triple cooked but they tasted like they had been cooked a long time ago, dry and crunchy and non-recognisable as chips tasteless! very poor quality especially knowing we could have received a much better and bigger portioned meal from a fish and chippy down the road for half the price! Left very hungry and disappointed considering the potential for this restaurant, sadly we will not be back in a hurry.

4  Thank x_dan_011
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed Hinnies Belta Brekky, especially the home-made black pudding. My partner opted for the salmon with avocado, spinach and poached egg and said it was beautiful. Very nice place and would recommend.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

This is another great restaurant from Andy Hook who started with the Butcher's Hook in Tynemouth and progressed to Blackfriars and then Dobson and Parnell in Newcastle. Hinnies is nicely done out and appears as a small cosy restaurant but actually has a lot more space at the rear and most be about 50 covers. It is a simple tasteful contemporary decor and has a short but varied menu to cover all tastes. The dishes are imaginative and beautifully presented and there is a Sunday roast. My fish was cooked to perfection and there was a good choice of wines. The staff were well-trained and pleasant though somewhat under pressure on the day. Hinnies is on the seafront and it was blowing a gale on the day I was there with the door admitting gusts of cold air as well as diners. I will definitely return but it might be in the summer!

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

That sums it up. Second time we've been. It's been average both times. Food average, service below average, bored and disinterested staff. Cold dull atmosphere .... Is it all the wood flooring & furniture?
The food is uninspiring.... Such a shame as the concept is good, just like a bad milkman .... Fails to deliver.

With all the competition in WB, Hinnies seriously needs to up its game.