“Visit is a must amazing pub”
Review of The Old Duke

The Old Duke
Ranked #178 of 382 Restaurants in Southport
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Description: The Old Duke is a Marston's pub operating a Grill & Pizza menu. Our steaks are chargrilled to perfection, and our pizza bases are hand stretched and stone baked with your favourite toppings! We are family friendly and have both an indoor and an outdoors play areas. We take bookings and walk-ins are always welcome.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Great pub staff were amazing very helpfull and we didn't wait long for the food to arrive food was amazing well worth the money we love the mixed grill and the staff were happy to change items on it to what we asked for would recommend this place highly !! We have returned many times since our first trip

OldDukeSouthport, Manager at The Old Duke, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Laura, thank you so much for such a glowing review. Our team just buzz off this feedback!

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Went for dinner and I was very disappointed with the quality of the food. My auntie had lasagne and sent it back as it tasted awful . The children’s food looked processed and unappetising. The service was ok but could be improved.

2  Thank Gazburgess

Gaz, I am sorry you were disappointed especially with the lasagne. I will pass on your comments to our development team, thanks for the feedback

Reviewed 26 March 2018

One tick given was for table found quickly and waitress came almost at once for orders. Food was dreadful. I asked for a lasagna which was tasteless and had what seemed to be a greasy gravy on the top. I asked for it to be changed and was informed the lasagna was bought in. The burgers meat had bits of solid gristle in. Other diners who had the beef said the same. My son had 3 bits of chicken coated in batter. Chips were good! Child received forced chicken slop in batter which came home to the dog. I feel very strongly about giving our children this processed food. We were all very hungry so most of our party ate. My replacement burger I had to eat on my own like a naughty girl. Not a very pleasant experience for our family. Coffee was ordered but even though I had to wait for my replacement food we never received it so on paying the bill It was cancelled. To top it off my daughter in law had the pulled pork and by the evening she was violently sick which she put down to the pork.
It is a no wonder this lovely new property is in the main usually empty. Sorry very poor review. It is in a good position and should be thriving but we will not be returning unless the food changes.

1  Thank Pamela W

Pamela, I am so sorry you had a poor experience with us. I will pass on your comments about the food quality and please be assured that we try to react to all feedback good and bad, kindest regards

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Today I visited with my family, was slightly shocked to believe when the food service would be 1 hour wait when they wasn't even busy so of course I asked why? Unfortunately the young lad had to inform every customer that there would be a wait but only the grill side was the longer wait but the pizza section was fully able to complete orders which was fine as my 2 young children wanted pizza anyway. Due to kitchen staff ringing in sick that's why there was such a delay.

Our waiter was nothing but nice, he was very friendly and helped us choose our food and get our drinks, his name was Rhys and he deserves a medal for taking one for the team (so he gets 5* from me) and explaining to every customer after us what happened, your probably wondering why Rhys was dealing with it all as there was not any sign of Matt the manager anywhere, anytime a customer came in Matt did not acknowledge one person not even basic service steps of saying hello. He was too busy walking round like he was busy when he wasn't, trust me I have seen managers in my time doing this and hiding in the back or the office so they don't have deal with anyone. Until our server got his break then only Matt got stuck in and actually took orders and sat people down but I did not hear him explain to the other tables if there was going to be a wait... not sure why he never told anyone but that's up to him and then he will deal with consequences if anyone was to complain for the wait which could of been rectified before sitting anyone down.

The pizzas was lovely, very appetising so I would come back but it would be a hit and miss regards to as if kitchen staff ring in sick, why wouldn't they ring someone else to come in who possibly had a day off or in fact why didn't the manager get the chef whites on and cook food for the customers himself (not sure if this is applicable here where the managers need food training but could be a idea for future sicknesses)

3  Thank Samantha C

Samantha, thank you for your feedback as all customer comments help us to improve our offer and service, kindest regards

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Visited with family 6 of us. The staff work really hard busy didn’t stop from
Clearing tables bring food out drinks out etc very efficient. Food portions size good had a mixture of pizzas. Gammon, burger, kebab fish etc with drinks and starters and all good. Only slight negative is when asked if you want curry sauce or bread etc should be told at the time they are extra. Good meal excellent service from all the staff although think if they had more staff this would help them being so busy.

Mandy, thanks for your feedback it is most appreciated. Our team do work hard and really appreciate it when their efforts are recognised, regards Mark