“More than we could have ever asked for!!”
Review of The Country Inn

The Country Inn
Ranked #36 of 43 Restaurants in Midhurst
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 8 September 2015 via mobile

We had been to The Country Inn numerous times before we booked it for our wedding reception and loved it every time as its a proper English pub with meat raffles on a Sunday, darts teams, locals that will welcome anyone as part of the family and a variety of events throughout the year. This weekend was the wedding reception and simply wow wow wow! The garden looked even more beautiful than it normal does, the staff were brilliant (all our northern guests were commenting on the fact that actually southern hospitality was pretty good), the food was spot on..you must try the burgers they are amazing and they whole day was everything we could ask for and more. The Country Inn isn't a chain pub where the food is out of a packet, it's a proper traditional pub and that's what gives it its charm and beauty. We would recommend it for parties, events, a few friendly drinks in a warm inviting atmosphere or for a bit to eat. Truly a fantastic place to be.

Reviewed 19 July 2015

We arrived at this place with four friends for what we expected to be a pleasant evening meal.

Upon arrival we ordered some drinks to go with the meal when we were advised that a vast majority of the menu was unavailable (no mixed grill, no steaks, no king prawns).

Whilst serving our drinks the Barmaid seemed to be more interested in a dishevelled individual at the end of the bar who was obviously the worst for wear (drunk) - it turns out that this chap is the landlord who was doing a double act with another similar individual.

All the staff seemed strangely amused that most of the menu was unavailable and when I suggested I might have the "Fish & Chips" they went into howls of laughter, this should my signal to get back in my car and leave but no, we continued with the evening.

Eventually a barmaid came to take our order, once taken she announced that she would give the bad news to the Cook (also the landlady we believe) odd comment don't you think?

The starters arrived mine was a small portion of tasteless frozen prawns dumped on some cress with a small pot of thousand island dressing on the side - no bread!

Then the main course - what a delight! Lasagne + Chips the chips were in fact soggy potato wedges soaked in what appeared to be used engine oil then warmed up, the Lasagne was half edible but again contained some odd red oily substance.

Two of the party did order Fish & Chips (how do you fry batter so that it is crisp on the outside and runny underneath? - must take some culinary skill) needless to say they couldn't eat it.

Another had Gammon with fried egg - apparently the egg was OK but the Gammon was left.

All side veg had been treated to a good portion of Castrol GTX.

The Kitchen must contain a revolutionary appliance called a "flavour extractor" which seemed to be in full working order.

The draught beers could only have been provided by Southern Water, I would say you could safely drink about six pints and easily pass a breath test (obviously the bar staff must have got theirs from somewhere else).

If the meal wasn't enough to make you gag a visit to the toilet would finish you off.

By the time we were leaving the Landlord and "friend" had become incoherent, my thoughtd were just let me out of here - ever seen the film "the wrong turn"?

NEVER will I go there again, one problem with Trip Advisor the lowest rating is "Terrible" this place deserves something far lower.

Do yourself a favour and start at Burger King then go on to a decent pub.

16  Thank Aircoool
Reviewed 4 March 2015

Went to this pub for lunch to-day, ordered two lambs liver and bacon meals. Unfortunately, the liver was tough, the caulifower difficult to cut, the carrots hard and the mash potatoe was lumpy. When the chef/landlady came to collect the plates and asked if we had enjoyed out meal, we politely told her how we had found the liver and veg. She very sacastically remarked "so you like your veg over cooked" and "the liver comes in a pack and another customer said how nice the liver was". Well I'm sorry ours was awful. There was no apology or regret. The attitude was "take it or leave it".. We will not be returning to this pub for another dreadful meal.

10  Thank Christine B
Reviewed 25 November 2014

We went on Sunday with our Dealmonster vouchers, and although the offer was for 2 roast dinners, we were offered the specials on the board. We opted for the roast beef, and the amount of beef was massive, really lovely taste, Lovely pub with beams and a good atmosphere. We didnt have a pudding because we were quite full. Just a coffee. We also took part in the meat raffle and won a prize. So we could go back in the Summer and sit in the large garden.

Reviewed 23 November 2014

We came to this pub for sunday lunch for 8 people. The experience started off badly with an uncomfortably rude waitress asking us to disseminate our own cutlery and plates and giving the overall impression that the whole thing was a pain for her. The meals were truly awful and honestly the worst roast I have EVER eaten. The beef was dry and tough, the potatoes were husks of greasy hard skins which deflated when you managed to get your fork into them to reveal a miserable puck of potato inside. The gravy was described as 'brown water' by the table.
Hungry as we were nobody on the table managed to eat much and so I went to the bar to discuss our issues. I was asked to wait at the bar for the manager, and a woman arrived 5 minutes later with her bulldog face on. I assumed this must be the manager. I explained the above, the manager explained that there was a whole pub full of people that were happy with their meals. I explained that it still remained that there was a group of 8 people who weren't. The lady came to inspect our plates with no attempt to speak to anybody on the table about this and then the huffy waitress announced that 3 meals had been removed from the bill.
The manager then proceeded to stare at me from outside the pub.
- Peeps I've had roasts from stalls, roasts cooked on boats, roasts cooked at festivals, and roasts cooked by students for pennies and they have ALL been preferable to this situation. NIL POINTS for customer service. Don't waste you time folks we'd have literally been better off going to maccy d's.

11  Thank Hellsbellzz