“Excellent Lunch”

Ranked #6 of 43 Restaurants in Midhurst
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Coffee House serves a wide selection of choice coffees and teas; breakfasts, delicious lunches; morning coffees and cakes and traditional English afternoon teas. We also have an extensive takeaway menu. We try to offer a varied selection, but if we do not have what you fancy, please do ask as we maybe able to make something to meet your requirements. Inside, the coffee house has new solid oak furniture, befitting the building, and outside you can watch the world go by from one of our alfresco tables, in the newly redeveloped Market Square.
Reviewed 16 February 2017

Three of us lunched here today (16/02/2017). The menu was varied and `different' - in a very good way ! There was a standard menu and an additional menu providing specials that day. Two of us opted for the Spinach, 2 poached eggs and smoked salmon - on an English muffin - with small side salad. This was very tasty and is strongly recommended. One of our party opted for a roast pork sandwich with stuffing, apple sauce, side-salad, crisps. This also received a big thumbs up ! The coffee was excellent - hot and strong. Two of us shared a bakewell slice afterwards - and this gave the appearance of being homemade and was also very good.
Service was excellent - prompt, attentive and courteous.
Its based on the old Market Square - slightly away from the high street - so we had no problem getting a table.
Strongly recommended.

1  Thank HarryRoberts24

Reviewed 16 February 2017

I arranged to come with two groups of friends which in the end became one group. The staff arranged a big table for us. They were very friendly, attentive to our needs. We all said afterwards what a lovely experience we had had... a nice relaxing lunch with very good tasty food. Thank you

2  Thank patsybell
sfranks256, Owner at Gartons Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2017

Many thanks for kind review, we are only too happy to help.

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

Fabulous coffee house. Nice selection of coffees, reasonably prized menu that produced a tasty lunch and a great location in the old town hall looking out onto the market place.

Many thanks for your kind remarks.

Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

My father died in late October 16 and i found this charming cafe in midhurst where i my wife and brothers / wife's could meet on a Sunday morning to have breakfast and have a casual meeting to discus my late fathers estate so 9-30 am we would all arrive this went on for about five weeks everything was GREAT then last Sunday on arriving I was approached by the owner and he said how many 6 again ?and was then asked can you ring NEXT TIME before you come please I only have one waitress on this made us feel quite awkward and so it looks like that's our last outing here ( very sad ) as the food was very good ?
Kevin ball

sfranks256, Owner at Gartons Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2017

Hello Mr Ball

many thanks for your review.

I was somewhat surprised by your comments about our conversation about last Sunday.

When I spoke to you about you booking a table in advance, my only intention was for us to provide you with a better service. As I explained we only have a limited amount of staff in first thing in the morning and in order to give the service we pride ourselves on, if we have bookings then we can arrange for extra staff to come in.
In your particular situation if we know that you are coming in then we can reserve a table and have it laid out before you arrive.

I hope you accept my reasoning for asking you to book, and if you did want to visit again then we would be more than happy to see you again, as you did say you and your family did enjoy the food,
kind regards,Steve Franks

Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

We were visiting Midhurst for a rugby tournament. The night before I checked for somewhere to have breakfast & this seemed the perfect choice. Both Tripadvisor & the cafe's own website state it opens 8.30am 7 days a week.

We got here at 9am & it was closed. A local resident told me it's only opens at 9.30am on Sunday. Not ideal as nothing else is really open in Midhurst.

sfranks256, Owner at Gartons Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2017

Many thanks for your review and may I apologize for the inconvenience you suffered on Sunday morning.
We were aware that Tripadvisor has us opening at 8.30 but we totally missed the fact that our own website stated that as well. We have now rectified this however, we have tried to change the details on Tripadvisor, without success, so far, but we will endeavour to get this changed as well.
I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention and hope that if you visit the area again, we can compensate you in some way.

kind regards,Steve Franks