1,144 results
All reviews one way system robert burns shopping centre central hotel buffet breakfast old building function room bars and restaurants full scottish breakfast stayed here for one night lovely room wallace monument harold ballroom thistle scotland dbb
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed here in November and the whole experience was great!
The hotel was clean and comfortable!
The staff were friendly and helpful!

The hotel is centrally located with plenty of bars and restaurants all nearby.
There is a small but adequate car park which is great considering its location!

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again in the future!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank T6726VMscottt
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed on business - fantastic deal on booking.com - parking at the hotel - the chap behind the bar was very helpful finding me a phone charger / full marks !
Nice staff all round and I will be back -
Central hotel -

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Clinky123
Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

Stayed here as we had a work related night
Hotel was full and we got a car park space elsewhere but reception who was great offered to double park our cars and move it themselves if needed
Nice touch
Rooms were very clean but could do with a small refurb to keep tip top
Breakfast was good and was in very nice surroundings with helpful staff
All in all I would recommend this hotel great location and very clean.
Bar looked good aswell

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank vodkaw
GoldenLionStirling, Public Relations Manager at The Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Many thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated

Reviewed 5 November 2018

One night stay for a very special function. Bar and public areas well appointed and comfortable.

Friendly (although very overworked) staff, who are keen to make your stay special.

Food - average, although the Haggis at breakfast was quite nice.

My beef is with my room (325).
For £80 for a single night B&B in Sterling I would have expected a pretty good standard, but sadly I was sorely disappointed. I need a room with a shower that's not over the bath because of my lack of flexibility of not being able to pole vault into the tub, but that's all I need (I don’t require hand rails or adapted toilet), so I tend not to take up the limited 'specially adapted' rooms to leave those for people who need them, even though they tend to be very spacious rooms. So I was pleased when they told me that, although most of the rooms were a shower over the bath, they had a room with just a stand alone shower.... really wish I hadn't asked now, and just had a standard room and not bothered taking a shower.

The room was tiny, but that's ok, it was only me, but if I had my wife with me it would have been far too small. It was so small it only had a double bed squeezed into it, whereas my friend in the room around the corner had an enormous bed that you could have slept an entire family in.

Radiator was an electric one - now... they knew I was coming to stay, and this is Stirling in November, so I imagine that they would have possibly known that it may be a wee bit chilly, so why did they leave the windows open and the radiator off? I literally had 2 minutes to drop off my case before going to a function so didn't really pay much attention to the room when I first went in. Electric radiators take a while to heat up so my room was absolutely FREEZING for about 2 hours after I went to bed, so cold I couldn't sleep.

The bed.
The mattress was very thin, and the bed so hard I would have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor …. If the room wasn't so cold that is

Pigeons, pigeons and more blasted pigeons.
If you are a hotel proprietor with rooms in a building built in the 1780's, without the modern designs for discouraging these delightful creatures from perching, surely wouldn't you employ some sort of device to encourage them not to land? 6AM and all I could hear was blasted pigeons being very amorous on my window ledge. Shooed them away, 30 seconds later they were back, and they bought their mates with them who congregated on the windowsills around my room for a sexual frenzy.

The bells.
A warning that the church bell tower was immediately adjacent to my room would have been good! 8AM on a Sunday morning (having got to bed at 2AM), and the chimes went off - scared the Bejeebus out of me. It reminded me of the time I went to the Westminster Tower to see Big Ben, and it chimed at one o'clock as we were walking up the tower. Quasimodo I am not.

The “Shower”.
Turned on full power at maximum heat and the tepid drizzle was just enough to completely dampen my spirits. I asked for a room with a shower not a room with some sort of Chinese water torture device dripping on my forehead.

I could go on but I’m bored with this now. Just make sure that if you stay there don’t get room 325

Room tip: 325 is a tiny room Bed hard - floor is more comfortable 6AM pigeons 8AM Sunday Church bells Shower is pathetic
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Copperwasher

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay
Please accept our apologies for the experience you had, albeit Pigeons & Church bells are outwith our control and this is the first time we have ever received any issue about church bells

Having investigated your comments we find the shower controls were set at the incorrect settings which can be somewhat deceiving and we have pigeon deterrents on the window sill of this room

Housekeeping policy is to ensure windows are closed at this time of year and hating on for arrivals , howver can only assume on this occasion might have been missed
Many thanks

Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

Popped in for a bit of lunch, some tapas snacks to share then a sandwich with chips and salad, well presented, very attentive staff. It wasn’t that busy but the food was exactly as advertised on the menu. Will definitely go back.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GoldenLionStirling, General Manager at The Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Thank you for the feedback - will pass on to the Team and hope to see you again