All reviews pedestrian street car park train station boutique hotel centre of town top floor small hotel lovely lunch central location great shower eggs benedict comfy bed next morning both mornings location is excellent would definitely stay here again lovely room
Reviewed 11 November 2018

We fancied a relaxing night away and booked up last minute. The hotel is above a trendy pub/resteraunt. Our room was nice a big with a very comfy bed and the bathroom was nice and modern with a great shower. We went out of the resteraunt for dinner although the menu looked great we fancied a wander.
We both ordered the full Scottish breakfast in the morning which was lovely all proper good quality food. My eyes were bigger than my belly so I couldn’t finish it.
The staff that served us were all very nice and you can really feel the personality of the business you can tell it’s family owned and there’s a lot of love and effort gone in to make it special. We have already recommended this place to a few friends and we would return.

Room tip: Choose a comfort room it’s worth it for the extras
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Friars_Wynd_Team, Owner at Friars Wynd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2018

Hi Karyn

Its great to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to review us.

I have already passed your kind words on to the staff and we hope to see serve you again some time.

Jonathan and Ying

Reviewed 26 October 2018

Absolutely lovely staff who were definitely the highlight! Nice clean room with all the basics. The room was cozy but as it was a deluxe it had a bit more space. I believe it had just been renovated. As with many hotel rooms, could have done with a bit more light and possibly upgraded towels. The restaurant served a lovely breakfast and coffee but I was disappointed that they weren’t serving dinner. We absolutely loved how the dining room looked with an old bar and warm colors and homey feel. Great central location with parking in public lot 2-3 blocks away.

Room tip: Deluxe and newly renovated the way to go if possible
Reviewed 23 October 2018

Does not get much more central than this! Tucked away in a pedestrian area mere 5 min walk from the bus and train stations Friars Wynd is not to be missed. Good value for money, specially food-wise; be aware that the portions are quite hefty but very tasty. Specially the breakfast was stunning. Local produce, scottish flavours were a true treat. All this topped with super customer service leaves me with very little to find a fault with. Will return.

Reviewed 16 October 2018 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed here for one night to go to Edinburgh the next day

Book in for easy , staff showed us to our room which was lovely if not a tad dark not enough lightening for ironing , even though that’s not that important really but I do like to see if my clothes are ironed or not ‍♀️

We came down the next Morning for breakfast when it arrived the beans was clock cold as was my husband’s so both breakfast had to be sent back , staff said both would be re done but when they came back only mine was re done as the eggs which was supposed to be fried eggs on toast with beans was rock hard , Jamie’s was not re done which he knew because the first one that came out he cut off some sausage before it went back and it was the same sausage
To be fair we only wanted the beans warming up the first breakfast would have been fine but 15 minuets later after already waiting 30 mins plus for first breakfast we had to go out and put money on the meter

The young girl working that morning could have done with some help , not her fault at all she was really trying hard to serve every one , answer the phone , take bookings and receive deliveries all whilst kitchen is buzzing to say food is ready

Needs some organising to which improvements would make it a lovely place to stay again !!

1  Thank 110kelliec
Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

I’ve stayed here a number of times and it is a really nice hotel right in the centre of town, it’s only a few minutes walk from the train station.
They used to do meals in the evening but for some reason they appear to have stopped for Autumn. However, I discovered Brea just at the top of the road, fantastic food, possibly better than Friars Wynd but pretty busy even mid week.
Ever since I first stayed here cleaning hasn’t been top notch, for example, the cover to the shower drain in my room was dislodged showing an absolutely filthy drain underneath, clearly never cleaned. Management need to thoroughly inspect and be on top of this, no point blaming the cleaner!
As I was on business I needed to be out by 8.30, the really helpful receptionist suggested I ordered breakfast the night before, when I came down the friendly lady chef had it ready at 8am and delicious it was too.
Day two was a different matter, ordered the night before but 8am nothing and it was obvious they were cooking as people came down, so the two tables before me who only ordered that morning were being served. At 8.20 the waitress said mine was next, needing to be out by 8.30 I didn’t have time to wait and left with nothing to eat? As a diabetic this isn’t good but had no choice. Of course the waitress apologised and suggested doing it as a take-away, fine but I can’t sit in a managers office and eat a cooked breakfast so kind as the offer was it’s really pointless. Again this sits at the feet of management because there is no process in place, if there is then it doesn’t work. Same price breakfast or not. I doubt if I can risk staying here again and I’d suggest if you’re on business consider somewhere else.

Trip type: Travelled solo