“Great place for steaks or tapas!”

El Matador Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 132 Restaurants in Sevenoaks
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 January 2017

Been here quite a few times for tapas... great food and service. Also came here in October for a Birthday party and had steaks. My family all chose the largest steak served on a hot stone... it was overwhelmingly ginormous!!

Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

What can I say? Delicious food, generous portions, excellent wine list and great service. Child friendly without compromising adult meals. My favourite restaurant in Sevenoaks.

1  Thank bch1978
Reviewed 9 January 2017

Food mainly excellent, if expensive. Waited 2 hours for food. Burger arrived cold but all steaks amazing. Service awful, waiter fine but so busy could not cope. Loud music plus other diners made it hard to talk across the table.
Beautiful interior.

3  Thank 59dolly
Reviewed 29 December 2016

Booked this restaurant for my 21st birthday meal on recommendation and i really wish i had not bothered.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by a friendly waitress and shown to our table. We all sat down, and waited for about 10 minutes for somebody to come over and take our drinks order... when the drinks finally came, we all had ample time to study the menu, which may i add is different to their online menu! The waitress then came over to our table to tell us that she forgot to mention that they had ran out of fillet steak because it has been busy over the Christmas period. I would like to mention that being a waitress myself, this was not her fault as she was only the messenger and does not order in the steaks herself. However, on the El Matador website, they state that they import their steaks weekly, to guarantee a tender and special flavour...
Regardless of this, we had to choose between either ribeye or sirloin.
After we placed our order with the kind waitress, she rushed off to put our order through to the kitchen. About 10 minutes later, the waitress returned with a free glass of champagne for both myself and my 7 other guests, a nice touch.

After waiting a good 40 minutes for our food to arrive, keeping in mind that the restaurant was not busy at all, one member of my families food arrived stone cold, as well as 5 of the side dishes that we ordered. We asked another waiter to take the side dishes back for it to be changed to another, hot side and also asked for my granddad's burger to be returned because it was stone cold. The side dishes then came back out about 5-10 minutes later, having just been warmed up in the microwave. Still, we accepted this as we did not want to wait any longer. We all then started eating our luke-warm meals but still my granddad's burger had not returned. Having a burger myself, he did not miss out on anything, unless you like eating charcoal..
30 minutes later, we had all finished our meals and STILL his meal had yet come out. When i called the waiter over to ask how long it would be, i did not get a valid response and at that point we were all very annoyed to say the least, and asked to speak to the manager. 10 minutes later the manager came plodding out and approached our table, and to say he had a bad attitude was an understatement. Trying to get a word in was impossible! My dad started off by explaining what had happened and it seemed as though the manager was not interested at all, and started saying "you've spoke, now let me speak" - not the right words or attitude from a manager, towards paying customers if i do say so myself. Anyway, he continued to say that the reason for the burger being cold was that it was "packed" with lettuce and tomato..!! What sort of excuse was that?! He then proceeded on to saying that other burgers/food was going out to different tables because they were the priority at the time, despite the fact we had waited 30+ minutes for my granddads meal to return.. surely a meal sent back should be priority, or that the chef should be skilled enough to cook a burger and another table of 2's meal at the same time.
We then indicated that we would not be paying for my granddads meal, which was still yet to arrive, and the manager turned round and said, "be my guest" and pointed towards the door. With that, we all got up and left. Ended up in Mcdonald's where the burger and service was 10x better.

A terrible end my 21st birthday!
Would definitely NOT recommend this restaurant and am disgusted with the so-called manager's attitude; definitely some management training is needed.

8  Thank Natalie S
Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

Steak is my favourite food when eating out, and I've been lucky enough to sample it across the world, from US to South Africa and many places in between. Sadly never Argentina however I'd happily visit if you'd like to invite me. Out of all the countries I've eaten steak, I've been more consistently underwhelmed by it in the UK than anywhere else. I can't imagine that it's the quality of the meat, as I'm sure British cows are pampered as much as any outside a Japanese massage parlour, so perhaps it's the aging of the meat? Or perhaps the cooking of it?

El Matador has a great way to solve for this, provide you with great quality meat and let you cook it yourself on a hot stone. It's a very fun interactive experience, the stone stays hot for ages, and you can experiment with how long you cook the meat and leave it to rest.

It may not be one for kids (it's quite an adult place, if you have kids then Zizzi down the road is a great option) however my 7 year old is more sensible than her Dad so thoroughly enjoys the experience.

Highly recommended