The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro
US$115
US$93
US$137
US$110
Astala Guest House(Bangor)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$163
US$99
Travelocity
30Seacliff(Bangor)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbig dogdog friendly hotelchowderfish piedogs are allowedmushy peasno liftsunday afternoonwine listeggs benedictwindow seatafternoon teadeluxe roombangor baystaff were lovelylovely atmospherebirthday treat
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

We went for lunch here on a lovely sunny day it overlooks the sea just a stunning view on a good day
Menu is quite small but something for everyone
The mussels are amazing!
The staff are very nice
It was very busy but we didn’t have to wait too long
If you visit Bangor I’d highly recommend a visit here

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 March 2018

We had a quick main course at the Salty Dog on a recent cold Monday night. We were given a warm welcome by the friendly staff and enjoyed a pint or two of the black stuff. The fish pie was out of this world - lots of substantial pieces of fish in a rich, creamy sauce topped by the best mash ever. Not for those that are calorie counting but it was worth every mouthful. Lovely welcome for our four legged friend too. We'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2018

We read tons of reviews saying this was a great restaurant and our expectations were very high. We went on a Sunday anticipating a fantastic roast dinner and were badly disappointed. First of all kudos to the staff who were lovely and all we can assume is that the Chef was having a terrible day. However at £49 for lunch we won't be returning to see if the food is better. We decided to have the 2 course Sunday lunch. Our starters were fantastic smoked salmon with a horseradish cream and a beautiful Thai fish cake. The were presented really nicely and tasted fabulous, although the soft boiled egg on the fish cake was a tad over done so no runny yolk. We then waited over 25 minutes for our mains with dishes on the table not removed. In fact, when a we asked a waitress to clear the table we had been sitting there so long she thought we were leaving.

Hubs had pheasant which was so dry it had to be washed down with water. My so-called 12 hour roasted beef was 2 tiny slices of completely dried out on the grill steak (I think). Both dishes were so bad they were inedible. We called the waiter over who apologized profusely saying it was his fault (it wasn't he did not cook it) and asked if we wanted a replacement. Unfortunately there wasn't much on the Sunday menu to choose from so we picked hake and smoked salmon. The hake was very nicely cooked and quite pleasant but the vegetables on the plate and the potatoes were simply an afterthought. As for my salmon - well is was again smoked salmon but it was very heavily smoked sitting on a bed of oversalted mushy potatoes. Again very off putting. We didn't complain this time but simply ate the fish portion and left the rest of the badly cooked food. At this point we had been in the place from 12:25 and it was now getting on to 2:30. I hope for other's sake that our experience was an aberration but given the yelling I heard from the kitchen earlier and the abysmal length of time we had to wait for our mains in an uncrowded restaurant I tend to think it wasn't.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel simply ate at the bistro but the hotel looked lovely
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Kenneth S, Owner at The Salty Dog Hotel & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience with our Sunday Lunch. As you say we generally have good reviews so I can assure you that this was, as you say, an aberration. At least the starters were representative of what it is that we do. Could you possibly drop me a line on ken@saltydogbangor.com to let me know which Sunday you were in?

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Had been some years from my last visit and didn't disappoint. Craft Ales by the bottle plus a couple of odd ones on tap.
I didn't taste the gin & tonic cake but it was amusing to see it on full view at the bar. Nice staff and a nicer menu. Recommend the "charcuterie" board.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments, especially about the team. I will be sure to pass them on.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Sadly whoever was managing this restaurant weren’t too bothered about receiving a bad review.. I ordered hake with gnocchi, capers and broccoli at £17.. which wasn't particurily cheap, and my wife ordered steak at £26. When my meal arrived I was flabbergasted.. four pieces of burnt gnocchi, two sprigs of broccoli, a tablespoon of capers, a smallish piece of fish and no side!! I immediately ordered a portion of chunky fries to render this somewhat decent. The gnocchi was burnt solid, not light and fluffy, the capers had been salted heavily with sea salt, totally unnecessary and inedible, the fish was well cooked, but it was pretty grim.. my wife’s steak was tough and the sauce tasteless!! I mentioned all this to our server and she replied that she would pass it in to the chef.. when no attempt to rectify the terrible meal, I decided I’d put this review up.. our meal was nearly £80 for two main courses, two tiny glasses of prosecco and a bottle of rosé.. a costly mistake never to be repeated!!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank billybluester

I am very sorry to hear this, I am not sure why it was not passed on at the time. Could you possibly let me know when you were in and I will come back to you as a matter of urgency. ken@saltydogbangor.com