“salty”

The Salty Dog Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Salty Dog Inn Thank You For Such A Great Experience I had such a Wonderful time staying with you, At First i had to find the reception, and was welcome by a lovely young lady with a huge smile showed me the way, the bar men were Awesome, even though it was very busy they offered if i wanted anything to drink while i waited and i must say it wasnt much of a wait at all, i was shown to my room, the bed was HUGE, ive never slept so peacefully in such a long time, the food was device, compliments to the chef for a well cooked lamb shank, and beautiful well put waffle, restaurant was beautiful and the pub great enjoyment, even some of the locals i meet was very well mannered, and knows how to keep a good conversation going, ill be back again for sure! thank you!

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Having driven from Hamilton on a dreary long wet traffic congested road I chose The Salty Dog as it was near home for lunch
Mistake
We went to bar and asked if lunch was being served yes the menu is there take one and come back and order sit anywhere
Not a smile from this fromfaced young lady
Hot humid day so we went out side mistake number two this is an eating area but people smoke there unusual but we discovered this after the meal was served
Two ordered the same meal virtually well one had their eggs poached the other fried the third ordered a form of lambs fry Marsala style on mashed potatoes the poached egg meal arrived on a wooden spatula type plate one poached egg almost fell off about 5 minutes later the liver arrived and approx 8 minutes later the meal with fried eggs arrived on the same type of wooden platter hardly conducive to egg yolks fried or poached surly bar staff smokers in the outside eating area yes we could have moved inside but no signage saying smoking area and there was another two women who had obviously eaten a meal so eating where people smoked when we could have moved was our problem but signage would help I was saddened by the attitude the service and the very ordinary lunch as I have had a couple of really nice evening meals with lovely service won’t be coming back for lunch it was just awful and I had to give one circle or I couldn’t submit this review I would not by choice give any “stars” for this lunch

Reviewed 20 January 2018

Went with the family for a meal. The atmosphere was pleasant, but the menu and food dismal. There was very little choice with no vegetarian options. Service was pleasant, but when the food came the Lamb Shank was overcooked (even though that does not seem possible), the gravy wishy washy, and the vegetables pretty non existent. The main left me still hungry, but the desert menu was so uninspiring, that I gave it a miss anyway.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Had 2 meals here one in the pub and one in the restaurant. Both had the same menu but the food was tasty and good value. Both the bar and the restaurant need some tlc.

Reviewed 17 December 2017

What a find off the beaten track in NZ. I booked this hotel at short notice because it sounded like a nice place to pull up for the night. Little did I know how busy it would get after I checked in. The Melbourne Cup horse race had just been run and the pub was full and lively. It had a great atmosphere and the locals wouldn't let me drink alone. Fabulous little spot and I would stay here again. The dinner I ate was great also and breakfast the next morning was also good. The owners and staff where all wonderful.