“Appalling service & gormless staff”
Review of Village Green

Village Green
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Eyam
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: Delicatessen, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Super little cafe perfectly located in the heritage village of Eyam in the Peak District. We bake gorgeous cakes and cook tasty savouries 7 days a week for you to enjoy, using fantastic local produce. Our coffee is Fairtrade, organic and rainforest certified but above all is expertly made and tastes great, and we do our bit to maintain the superb environment we are in by recycling and encouraging less packaging for our take-aways.So pop in before or after your walk, or if you're really organised phone ahead & order a posh picnic, crammed with goodies to enjoy on your walk. We'll happily fill your flask with our gorgeous soup on colder days.Free wi-fi is available, there are treats for your four-legged friends, so join us at VG for a warm welcome and a spot of heritage on the Eyam trail. Finalist in the Derbyshire Food and Drink Awards Tea Room of the Year 2012, Cafe of the Year 2013. Awarded Peak District Environmental Quality Mark 2013 Free Wifi
Reviewed 29 June 2017

I phoned on Saturday to ask if they would have freshly made bread on the Sunday, for my holiday let, which I was told they would; so, I ordered a small wholemeal to be saved for my mum to collect.
My mum drove over from our village & was given a large sliced wholemeal by a gormless girl.
I phoned to ask as to why it was large, sliced & when it had been baked, as it didn't appear fresh.
They told me they don't get fresh on Sunday. There was another small brown waiting for me to pick & when would I get it !?!?!?
Absolutely no apology about any of their failings !
Unbelievably awful service !!!
Never going there again.

1  Thank Chloe H
Sara P, Owner at Village Green, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2017

I took your daughter's order myself on Saturday which was for 'a small granary loaf to be put to one side for Sunday'. We did this. It was baked freshly on Saturday by Roses in Sheffield. When you came in on Sunday you asked for a sliced granary - our sliced granary loaves (also delivered fresh on Saturday- we don't have a sliced wholemeal unless pre-ordered) are large and for cafe sandwiches but we were happy for you to have this. So we gave you what had been ordered/requested. At no point were we rude or gormless as your instructions were acted upon politely.
Our core business is a cafe not a bakery but we do sell a small amount of bread as customers like to buy it.
Your comments are totally unfair and our staff are hard-working and polite. You phoned later to complain and my daughter advised I would be in on Wednesday if you felt you wanted to discuss this.
You didn't call & give me the opportunity to respond or answer you, preferring to make these personal and nasty comments about my staff over a single loaf of bread which you had actually ordered.
Trip Advisor is for constructive criticism about a business' core activity. The fact that you have repeated your unpleasant comments on other forums makes me think this is personal and unpleasant. I'm sorry this is how you choose to spend your time.

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

How marvellous to find the Village Green tearooms- clean, well organised, welcoming and serving superb real food.
Located in one of the historic plague houses of Eyam. Choice of indoor or outdoor seating.
Choice of sweet potato and Brie slice was absolutely superb- a meal in itself.
Thank you.

1  Thank 1949etwall
Reviewed 22 June 2017

We went a second time recently and it was equally as good as our first.

I was compelled to write another review after seeing the earlier review about a smaller than normal scone.

On my second visit I had a delicious brownie (the last one) and was pleasantly surprised when the waitress came over of her own accord and gave me half the price of it back, explaining it was a smaller than normal portion. I was already really happy with it so this was the icing on the cake, or brownie.

I've never experienced such good customer service in a cafe.

1  Thank BrightBlue
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

We popped in for a bite to eat on a weekday so it wasn't full but I imagine it will be packed at a weekend. The seating is pretty cramped so it will be worse when the place is full. I had a coffee and a piece of cake which was a little dry while my family had sandwiches which were very filling with not only sandwich but various accompaniments such as coleslaw. The coffee was OK, nothing special. The decoration was too twee for my tastes but the place was clean, warm and welcoming.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

My wife and I enjoyed delicious cakes, in fact my wife rated the carrot cake as her best of 2017.
This is a really nice cafe with good food, good service and an interesting selection on the menu.
We would recommend this cafe, today was our third visit.

1  Thank JohNicWar