Travelocity
Orbitz.com
ZenHotels.com
CheapTickets
StayForLong
All reviews the river aberdare cottages self catering rolling hills trout fishing his wife every evening wonderful getaway place zac nairobi weekend hike friends meals farms team
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 October 2020 via mobile

If there was a time we needed a pleasant surprise it was this vacation break... the year has been rough coping with the pandemic! And thankfully I found one of the most beautiful of surprises here... My partner and I had a wonderful couple of days resting, hiking learning about trout fishing and the wonderful rolling hills of Kenyan tea!

Our host Zac was amazing, very helpful in making our stay memorable. We settled for the wood cottages resting with the background sounds of a mini waterfall...There are moments that words do not adequately describe the serenity of a place and this is one of those times. Clean air, beautiful landscape and the warmth of a rustic and relaxing escape describe our stay.

I loved our tree cottage with a balcony overlooking long eucalyptus trees and the sounds of birds in the morning. But I have to say I had a moment to peek at the tent themed rooms that overlooked the river Mathioya and those are charming as well.

Check in was seamless and loved the fresh juice from fruits grown in their farm. Our chef Ruth did not disappoint with all our meals I want to make special mention of her chapatis and biryani chicken some of the best I have had in a while.

We went over to the sister facility which consists of a pair of beautiful self catering cottages with necessary amenities to make your stay comfy including a bathtub and shower, books, games and puzzles... this spot will be our bucket list! Its right by the river and has great lawn space for camping and picnics....try out trout fishing with Mr John an insightful unassuming man who farms and is passionate about fishing in the area.... I did beginner lessons .... its very addictive so make sure you apportion generous amounts of time for this - please carry a hat, put sunscreen and be ready to get into the water to get the good fishing spots!

The staff are warm friendly and professional ....Enos was so helpful, welcoming and encouraging around every aspect of our stay including the hiking trails... would not have managed some without a bit of motivation and his encouragement! All in all we have definitely found a great place to vacation close to us from time to time! I definitely recommend the place!

Its very addictive!

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Msikiliza
Reviewed 14 September 2020

To be honest I wasn't very sure what to expect when going there. But Zac and team proved that I made the right choice staying here.
It's a family run operation based in a close knit community. Zac and his wife are lovely people. Since his wife is a baker, they made us a wonderful surprise cake for our anniversary.
Their chef is amazing! I had all the local Kikuyu food I had been craving for a while.
The hike with Zac is the highlight of the trip. Make sure you request for it.

Date of stay: August 2020
3  Thank nabilanabz
Reviewed 14 August 2020

My stay at Aberdare cottages has been the best holiday so far. i wish i could have stayed longer. Definitely will go to this place again. Zac and his family and staff were so welcoming.
Loved the place, food, rooms, service.....everything!!
The fishing and swimming in the river experience was ind blowing.

Date of stay: August 2020
Reviewed 27 December 2019 via mobile

It was good fun time with my friends ...worth visiting it ...peacfull n good fun time .

Food ..hospitality... place..Grade 9 /10 .

River down make it more wonderful n memorable place to visit .

I will give Zack n Michel 9/10 for keeping standads.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2019 via mobile

An amazing experience that i will always cherish whole my life, the place was excellent the staff were amazing,mind blowing views, food was amazing simple tasty presentation was always on point.... definitely going back, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HOSPITALITY

Date of stay: August 2019