“Great weather, shame about the hotel”

Mulranny Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mulranny
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Stayed in lodge accommodation in the grounds of the hotel. First job was to wipe the dead insects off the walls as the previous inhabitants obviously felt the need to kill every spider in sight. This was obviously invisible to the house cleaners.
Bar service was mediocre and the glasses our drinks were served in were unclean and the barman hadn't a clue how to pull a pint of Guinness or garnish a martini. No training whatsoever.
Rented bikes from the hotel to go on the Mulranny - Newport bike trail. About three km from the hotel my sons' rental's handlebars came loose and he narrowly escaped a bad injury. I cycled back to the hotel to get an Allen key so that I could cycle back and fix a bike that should never have left the hotel in the first place. The polite guy ‘servicing’ the bikes, I reckon, is not a qualified bike mechanic. No training there, again. Was I even offered a refund or part refund on the bike rental? No!
I asked to see the manager and was told tom come back late morning and was then told he would be in at 2 o’clock. I was on my way to do something with my family and left my details at reception. You’ve guessed it, no one contacted me. No training here.
Here’s a laugh. In the reception of the hotel they have a panel with things to do on it. One of the activities was to visit places of historical interest. I eagerly enquired about an historic building they had on the board and the girl at reception enquired from her own colleagues (as she hadn’t a clue) and I was told that the picture was taken from the internet for illustrative purposes. I kid you not, a castle that is probably somewhere in mainland Europe being advertised in County Mayo as a place of local historical interest. No training here either, I guess.
I had a great holiday though. We enjoyed the swimming pool and the lodge was a magnificent, spacious home for the week. Fortuitously, the weather was super and the beaches in Achill were to die for. Croagh Patrick was a wonderful experience to climb and my travels up and down the bike trail were magnificent (I brought my won Giant Rapid).

The edges of the customer service in the hotel are very poor and that’s a pity as it takes away from the experience. If someone told me that this was to be the case then I’d be ready for the sloppiness of poor service but I wasn’t. Holidaying at home in Ireland is not cheap and the Mulranny is not cheap. Frayed edges cause me to give this hotel a poor rating as you expect a much higher standard. ‘Tired’ I believe is the name given to hotels of this type.

One great experience in the hotel was learning how they bake their own brown bread and the recipe, freely available, is a tour de force. We cook it every week and it's enjoyed by one and all.

I would recommend the lodges in the grounds of the hotel to a friend but as a base to operate from only.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
DermotMadigan, General Manager at Mulranny Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2010

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to Mulranny and the hotel. I was dissapointd to read that you had issues during your saty and I can assure you that this is not our normal standard of servce here at the hotel. I have met with each relevant department manager to take the necessary steps to ensure that your experience does not reoccur.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mulranny Park Hotel in the future.

Regards,

Dermot Madigan.

There are newer reviews for Mulranny Park Hotel

Reviewed 24 September 2010

We stayed in one of the apartment suites attached to the main hotel, in Septemeber 2010. We had a two and half year old and six month old with us and couldnt fault the hotel or apartment. Staff were all extremely friendly and helpful, and so welcoming to all of us especially our two yr old, they brought him chocolate buttons for dessert, colouring pencils and paper etc. Food in the restaraunt was beautiful too, we had the leisure centre to ourselves most days and took day trips to beach, Achill Island and Westport where we ate in a fabulous and reasonably priced Sol Rio restaurant. Mulranny Park hotel gives great value for money, it was recommended to me by a friend, neighbour and our GP who had all stayed previously, and I would definetly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Staying in this hotel was one of the best experience we had. From booking to depature the service provide by a professional, warm and freindly staff was excellent. The food and wine was great with multiable choice menues and also a very good bar menu.

Our standard room was large, airy and clean with a very comfortable., The ensuite bathroom was spacious with bath and a joy of a power shower.

The facilities of this hotel include a marvelous pool,gym and spa. The hotel is situated in the Nephin Beg mountain range and over looks Clew Bay. the hotel and is within easy walking distance of a clean, sandy beach.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My family and I had a wonderful stay at Mulranny Park this last weekend. I traveled with my husband and three young children, 9, 7 and 1. We had a family apartment which was very spacious and gave us the freedom to come and go. We made full use of the leisure facilities including the pool and bike rental. The nearby beaches are wonderful, loved by the kids. Food in the hotel was delicious, the pub grub was a family favourite and the restaurant is gorgeous however we would have enjoyed that more if by ourselves! We will definately go again for a romantic break but I don't think we could tell the kids, they had a ball.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We received a warm welcome at the Mulranny Park Hotel. The service was very good. The room was very comfortable but the window blind was broken.The location was excellent and the views from the hotel were second to none.We loved the local ameneties especially the cycle track,the golf and the walks. The hotel setting is superb but the weekend rates are far too high for September in these recessionary times.I would reccommend to a friend but with a warning about the high rates.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mulranny
21.4 km away
20.9 km away
Westport Plaza Hotel
Westport Plaza Hotel
#2 of 14 in Westport

Been to Mulranny Park Hotel? Share your experiences!