“A meal that's definitely more than value for money”
Review of Le Bontemps

Le Bontemps
Price range: US$21 - US$48
Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

Had lunch at Le Bontemps while touring the left bank area. The place was suggested by my guide Frederic and I'm more than grateful to him for choosing this excellent bristo cafe for lunch... in fact he rated it much better than a lot of famous cafe's and lunch spots in the neighbourhood of the left bank and boy was I more than satisfied with his choice.
The place is open only for lunch and it's run by a couple. The chef who's the owner is the sole cook while his wife doubles up as the steward and help as well as cashier. The place is pretty small and it's was over crowded for lunch with a small wait time for larger groups.
While they do have a la carte menu we choose the 3 course meal.they do have options as add on for the 3 course meal it's definitely the most value for money meal in the Beychevelle region.
The 3 of us on the table had 3 different mains but all of us were unanimous that it was indeed a very tasty meal. They do have a limited wine list too.
In fact you can bump into many wine owners, wine makers and other chateau staff dining at the restaurant
Rush before the undiscovered gem becomes the most sought after cafe in the area.

Reviewed 10 October 2016

Very well priced lunch beautifully cooked at this outstanding restaurant. Highly recommended. The food is French, but the chef's Japanese wife makes sure there is a little Asian influence on the food. Very good wine list.

1  Thank Louis B
Reviewed 10 September 2015

I was just driving around the Medoc area when I stumbled across this place driving through Cussac-Fort-Medoc. All the tables out front were full so I thought it couldn't be bad. Quite to the contrary, actually. The food was fabulous. And I got the menu which was, I believe, 18 euros (without wine). I think the sweetbreads were a bit extra. The place is fairly small and run by a young man and a woman who always seemed to have a smile on their faces!

I should clarify that you can choose between 3 first and 3 second dishes. I will post a picture of the menu of the day written on (what else?) the circular end piece of a wine barrel!

My first dish was lamb sweetbreads. Delicious! Nicely prepared. The second dish was duck (confit) with a light sauce served with a small serving of white beans and lightly-dressed fresh arugula. Fromage for dessert. Delicious. I just ordered house wine, which happened to be a rose. OK. OK. Next time, I will order real wine...

Distances in the Medoc region are not that great. I was based in Pauillac when I came across this gem. If you are in the area, do try to visit this lovely little restaurant and sample their fine cuisine. You won't be disappointed. It will be well worth the effort. It made my day.

2  Thank SpencerTracy
Reviewed 30 July 2015

We stumbled across Les Bons Temps in Cussac Fort Médoc and are very glad we did! Enticed by the delicious aromas inside, the offerings on the blackboard menu and friendliness of the staff we were subsequently amazed by the dishes created by the chef (Damien) and his japanese wife. The dishes are a work of art and combine French and Asian ingredients, not as "fusion" but as honest, incredibly tasting dishes that are a delight to eat and reflect the high-end dining expertise of both. Despite only having a few days in Bordeaux we made sure we ate there every day at lunch-time and were not disappointed!

Reviewed 17 July 2015

You will almost miss it if knowing nothing about this restaurant. We were recommended by a local friend, who said "it doesn't look very appealing from outside, but the food is excellent". It turned out exactly as she described. Honest cooking, nothing blingbling but well thought and perfectly cooked, good ingredients. Not at all expensive.

1  Thank Lin L