All reviews cooking class studio apartment archery range other guests private terrace overlooking local market fully equipped kitchen fabian ulrich farm hostess trips florence wine valley cooks darling
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This place was a find, peaceful, quite and beautiful. Located in a green valley, we spent most of our time sitting on the Terence watching deer roaming in the forrest, and sheep wandering along with bells ringing.
Not all the apartments have WiFi, so if this is a must, please check with Ulrike before booking, we didn't have WiFi and it was lovely to take a break from emails for a while.
This is a working farm, and this gives this place a special feel, but you still have a pool, and heaps or area to lay back and relax.
Poderi Val Verdi, is located in a great location, which makes day trips to all those amazing places you want to see in Chianti/Tuscany easy, and then you come back to peace and quite.
Ulrike the owner also runs cooking classes, we did a evening class and it was a highlight of our stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Spent a week in the Tuscany Valley at Poderi Val Verde. Very centrally located for day trips in surrounding towns. Beautiful property with flowers and animals everywhere. The view was spectacular, the accommodations were everything we needed. I would love to have been able to just stay on the property for the week and bask in the beauty but we had so much to see and do in Italy trying to get as much in on our travel as we would. Our host took good care of us and was helpful in every way.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2014

As a family we travel to a different destination every summer. We relish our vacations and do a great deal of planning to make sure we enjoy our time away from home.
Last year (2013) we went to Tuscany and booked a week in Poderi Val Verde. We travel a great deal for work and can be very picky. We wanted an authentic Tuscan experience and got it staying here. We loved the grounds, the setting, our Tuscan villa, and our gracious host, Ulrike.
We said that we would be back as soon as we could.
This year is our 20th anniversary and as luck would have it, my wife was already in Italy on business. We couldn't think of a better place to spend it so we went back in early April.
We were a little afraid that the weather would be unpredictable but it was as perfect as it could be. Daytime was around 20-24 celsius and nights were about 12-15 celsius. Perfect weather for us as our winter back home was awful. Everything was in bloom and the flowers at the villa were beautiful. The peacock, Roberto, was always a welcome and unique sight as well.
I cannot say enough good things about our hostess. After this second visit we feel like family. She helped us with our day trips and made some incredible travel, winery, and restaurant suggestions.
Since it was low season, we had her mostly to ourselves. What a luxury.
Can't wait til next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My boyfriend and I joined my parents in Castellina in Chianti for a week during their 3+ week excursion to Italy in celebration of my mom's 50th birthday. Staying at Poderi Val Verde with Ulrike as our host was the cherry on top of the sundae that was this wonderful trip.

The property itself is beautiful; an authentic working farm nestled into the rolling hills of Tuscany. The farm-life includes sheep, a chicken coup, and even a peacock. Ulrike also has two charming dogs that will welcome you home every day and several cats that peruse the property. The majority of the natural flora on the property is edible, as we learned during our cooking lesson, including wild growing asparagus. There are two gorgeous pools, which we unfortunately did not get to take advantage of during our stay as it was not yet warm enough, and many recreational areas (swings, a ping pong table, soccer/football nets, etc.).

Our villa was a 2-bed, 2-bath with a patio overlooking some of the recreational areas and a view of the surrounding hills where the sheep graze. The interior was nicely updated with modern appliances, a fully equipped kitchen, and Wi-Fi and was tastefully decorated while maintaining the distinctive Tuscan style. The villa was spotless upon arrival and stocked with fresh linens and Ulrike's "starter kit" of homemade jams, olive oil, and choice goodies which are available for purchase. She will also lend you her co-op card to purchase anything you might like to have on hand during your stay from the local market. In my opinion the accommodations were just as good as, or better, than a hotel - minus the maid service, and perhaps less fancy linens. The bathrooms were spotless, I found the beds comfortable (I prefer a firm mattress), and the shutters completely blocked out all light. A+!

The location is fantastic, but in my opinion requires a car unless you don't intend to explore much of the area outside of Castellina. Aside from being picturesque, we found Poderi Val Verde to be a very convenient starting point to visit surrounding towns and local wineries, as well as an easy drive to Florence, Siena, and Cinque Terre while still being definitively in the countryside. Highly recommend if you plant to rent a car, may not be as convenient if you are relying on public transportation.

Finally, Ulrike was an incredibly helpful, informative, and entertaining host - not to mention her cooking was delicious. We opted in to her welcome dinner and purchased cooking lessons as well as breakfast throughout the duration of our stay, all of which were delectable. She was a plethora of information regarding the surrounding area and all of her recommendations were spot-on. She was attentive without being intrusive and it was truly a pleasure being her guest and experiencing the way she lives off the land.

Bottom line: If you want to experience what it would be like to live in Tuscany, stay here. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jillchris24
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I visited this beautiful working farm in the countryside and I could not have been more pleased with his choice. I especially enjoyed the many animals that shared the grounds. The peacock and the sheep, chickens, etc. Our host has a working knowledge of herbs and as part of our cooking lesson we went and gathered some with her.
Her cooking skills are FABULOUS and I look forward to utilizing the tips I learned.
Ulrike also has great taste in wine and set up a few appointments for us to experience wine tasting in this region. What a treat.
I highly recommend staying at this very special property.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family