“Nice stop-over but ...”

Abbaye de la Bussiere
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Beautiful setting in this old charming abbey ... but very disappointing kitchen.
We had dinner at the Bistrot with no choice of Menu ... not very practical for vegetarians.
The Bistrot would require a serious lighting expert to help improving the charm of this room ... and make it cosy instead feeling eating in a cantine. Perhaps the choice of furniture would help ! The very limited choice of food doesn't allow us to give a positive note on this restaurant. The chocolate fendant is a disaster and the cheese platter is not at a Relais et Châteaux level.
Thank god the room was very nice but all in all not very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Clive C, Owner at Abbaye de la Bussiere, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Dear Courche,

Thank you for your review. A lot of effort, time and expense goes into the operation of our hotel, not only is the beauty of this site important to maintain, but also the service. We are not perfect so as and when I do reply to reviews.

We do tell guests on reservation that the menu for the Bistro from Wednesday to Sunday is a menu du jour, which is chosen by the chef on the day. We do change with dietary requirements. When our fine dinning restaurant is closed then we offer the full menu choice from the Bistro.

This is because our kitchen is too small to offer ALC in both restaurants. We started to open the Bistro in the evenings only for hotel guests who did not want to have a gourmet dinner. Before guests would dine out in other restaurants.

The atmosphere of the Bistro has been maintained in its original form. We are having a spruce up in the spring.

All our food is purchased locally from artisan suppliers and then prepared and cooked by a very experienced, professional team. This does include all the cheese, the chocolate fondant is made using Valrhona chocolate.

So, thank you for taking the time to express your experience. If you do return, please let me know and I will ensure to say hello.

Clive Cummings

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We spent 3 nights in this amazing abbey in a beautiful quiet valley nearby Dijon. The dinner in the Gothic restaurant is in itself really worth the trip. Including the pre-appetizer, the pre-starter and all the "small" plates between the main dishes, we counted nearly 13 or 14 dishes. That's probably more than what a normal human can take but well... Who cares with such a high quality of cuisine. The suites are extraordinary and all the building is restored with taste. English taste, that is. But really worth it.

If we only give 4 stars in stead of 5, it is because the French speaking guests don't seem to recieve the same attention from the owners than their English guests. It is quite a shame to have to wait on the main terrasse for nearly 20 minutes before being given some attention from the owner for a drink as nobody else was at hand. We almost felt like we were disturbing him from his chat with some fellow compatriots. Too bad, as the other French personnel is just amazing.

Thus 4 stars only. But in this kind of hotels, the small details kill...

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Clive C, Owner at Abbaye de la Bussiere, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Yvand1973,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the beauty of the Abbaye.

I do try of talk to most of our guests, no matter from which part of the World that they are from. In a very subtle way I try to catch peoples eye's and say hello. It is the art of an Innkeeper ! Obviously I was not on form when you stayed, sorry. I do try to say 'bonjour' to all, not all understand me, and many times I get myself misunderstood !!

I have passed your comments onto our kitchen and restaurant, I hope that if you return then we can have a chat.

Clive Cummings

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We visited as part of our road trip and loved this hotel, the food was excellent, as was the welcome, the room was amazing with a bath that was like a hot tub !! The room was quite dark however and the lighting could be improved to counter act that, the staff and owners were friendly and approachable, may mention this hotel and its surroundings in my new book !!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Clive C, Owner at Abbaye de la Bussiere, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Cambridge Trees,

Thank you. So glad that you enjoyed your stay. If we do get a mention would love to know the title etc so I can plug it !!!!

Looking forward to your return,

Clive and all the team.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

My husband and I spend one night in this extraordinarily gorgeous abbey in burgondy, place is amazing. Rooms are nice but our double bed was most uncomfortable, mattress sinking in places, the whole bed was moving when one of us was turning around...we told the reception the next morning and they said that this bed was up to renovation in the winter. The last in the serie?
We had dinner in the gourmet restaurant and did not think it was that great. If we were to go stay there again, I would go to the bistrot. Service of the drinks in the parc (very nice sofas and views) was under standard. We had to go ask for drinks. When people left, the remains were still on the table forever, same in the indoors salons. When we came back from our dinner, some tables were still full of glasses and not cleaned.
So, except for the beauty of the buildings and surroundings (the whole Ouche valley is marvellous) I would not recommend this place which by the way is quite expensive.
Also note that there is no elevator in the buildings, the butler brings your luggage upstairs but you have to go up to your room by yourself.

Room Tip: Ask one with a comfortable bed according to most recent standards
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cannasson

Dear Cannasson,

We are a work in progress. With both building work, a lift is on the plan, and refurbishment. This winter my wife and mother undertake more refurbishment.
I have a team of 32 professional catering staff. I offer no excuses, we have no problems except that we are in the middle of a very busy summer season. If you experienced slow service in the garden then I apologise. We do have a sign on the lawn that reads that if we have not seen you then please ask at reception.

We are a family owned and run business that has its quirks. We are very proud members of Relais & Chateaux and have held a Michelin star for 10 years. Our Chef is a Meilleur Ouvriers de France which is a very prestigious award, he has also been named as the one to watch for the future from the Gault Millau guide. Food is an individual taste.

Thank you for your views, I have shared these with my team to ensure they all know what our guests are thinking and their expectations.

From the tranquility of our garden in the middle of the valley Ouche I will sign off. If you do return then please let me know so I can say hi in person.

Clive

Reviewed 12 July 2017

Just returned from an overnight stay. What a beautiful place. The restored Abbaye is beautiful and the grounds (park) are amazing. Very dog friendly and great room in the Abbaye. Great AC and the bathroom with a great Jacuzzi was a hit. Loved the color change. Awesome bed, we slept like little kids. Dinner outside in the bistro by the fountain lake was so romantic. So friendly and nice service. We could even make changes to the menu without a fuss. Loved the hand caught catfish, such a fresh and well tasting dish. (Did see the pond where they swam around). Checkout was easy and fast with a great smile from the young lady. Will we return? Hell yah. Fabulous

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
23.3 km away
Hotel de Luxe le Cep
Hotel de Luxe le Cep
#2 of 62 in Beaune

Been to Abbaye de la Bussiere? Share your experiences!