All reviewsshuttle busamazing view from our balconyhotel is beautifully locatedhillside overlookingbooked roomslake gardaolder partbreakfast is servedmin walkhotel roomsmall hotellarge balconya great place to stayitalian foodwould highly recommend this hotelenjoyable staysun loungers
Reviewed 17 July 2016

I wanted to give this place the worst possible review for the way we were treated but decided to be fair and balanced while also highlighting the good things about this property.

I will start with the good:
The newly added wing has nice modern rooms which are fairly large and comfortable. We had a balcony overlooking the pool and the magnificent lake.
Mauricio from the breakfast team was very nice and friendly and showed great hospitality.

Now for our disappointing adventure with the hotel manager.
I came to the front desk at around 6pm and was told I had no reservation waiting on my name.
I gave my name again and the manager insisted there was no reservation on his records.
I indicated I was going to check my printouts in the car.
At this point, his tone of voice already sounded not so pleasant but I thought I was probably imagining it.

When i returned from the car, the manager said that he had found it !
BUT that the price on the reservation (180 Euros per night) is only for the two adults while we should add another 180 Euros for the kids (ages 12 & 14) less 10% discount !!!

I showed him that the reservation was made for 2 adults and 2 children in one room and that the 180 Euro price was there on the reservation.

He than indicated that since I did not mark the ages of my kids on the system, the system treated them as babies and didn't add up their charge. "clearly" he added "your kids are not babies... and they probably eat more than I do". {is this a nice thing to say to a customer?}.

When I told him I was disappointed and argued he should honor the reservation, he said that this is a very low price and that if I don't like it, I can look for another hotel.

YE Sure... middle of July... Lake Garda... late afternoon... no way to find vacant rooms at a reasonable price. [not to mention I made the reservation almost 4 month earlier].

Any how, when I argued further, he said that he will not give me the room for 180 Euros when he have a family paying for the same room 260 Euros.

I than asked him, "In this case, why are you asking me to pay 340 Euros or so when you have another family paying 260 Euros"?

He blinked for a second and told me "OK, i will give you the room for 260"

You will be the judges of this.

If I would have known i would pay 260E per night, I would have selected another hotel.
Four month earlier while booking this hotel, I received a quotation from a 4 star hotel in town for 2 adults and 2 kids including breakfast at 140 Euro per night. (Astoria hotel).

When i mentioned it to the manager, he indicated that this is not a good hotel. :-)

PS.
The WiFi in the room did not work the first day and was fixed the following day.
the pool was not so clean and take note that the Jacuzzi has cold. (It was nice but unexpected :-) )

Room Tip: 1) read my review and decide if you want to choose this hotel. 2) take the new wing, with the rooms overseeing the lake.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Roni O
Reviewed 19 April 2016 via mobile

We were allocated a lovely room in the newer block of the hotel. Room was very spacious and we had the most amazing view from our balcony!! Couldn't have asked for more.

A car is needed to go from hotel to riva town centre since hotel is located on a steep and winding hill.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2015

Awesome view and friendly staff. The new rooms are ever so nice and the hotel is very clean. It's great to sit on the terrace and enjoy the view on Riva, especially in the evening. Would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Try the new rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2015

The hotel is in an amazing location, the views are awesome. The staff are really friendly and can't do enough for you. But....... The rooms( unless you get one in the new bit) are awful, very tired and dingy and if you are unfortunate enough to be allocated a room on floor 1 then it's even worse. The wifi doesn't work down there, it's underneath the laundry and quite noisy. We were lucky enough to be on the 3rd floor where wifi did work. The towels are thin and fraying, the beds are hard and the pillows are awful.
The food is very basic. We were on half board and ate out 2 nights as we got bored with the food, the salad buffet was the same every night and we had pork 3 times. That was when we decided to eat out. The breakfast buffet was the same, identical every morning - the quality at breakfast was better than the evenings though. The shuttle bus only goes at 09.30 and 10.30 and 17.30 or 18.30.

Room Tip: Try for the new rooms
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 186220Linda
Reviewed 21 September 2015

We have just returned from yet another great visit to the Hotel Benacus. Fabulous, just love it. The views are amazing. The hotel is situated on the hillside looking out over Riva, the lake and the Dolomites. We were given a huge welcome back, just like old friends. Marco and his team are the icing on the cake. This is a family owned hotel, not too big but big enough to have a large swimming pool, bar, lounge and restaurant with terrace. Worth upgrading to a room with a balcony and view. The walk down into Riva and back again isn't too bad if you are reasonably fit or take advantage of the free mini bus service, twice in the morning and twice in the late afternoon/ evening. Alternatively a taxi is easy. There are many water sports that you can do or hire a bike. The lake in Riva has roped off areas for swimming. Explore the lake by taking one of the many boats to other towns. Have lunch in one of the lake side restaurants and be sure to visit an ice cream parlour. Don't miss your evening meal at the hotel though. Hopefully we will be back again another year. :o)

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with a balcony or terrace facing the lake.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends