“Nona Carmelo is a Gem”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We ate here most nights -- the food is home cooked and the bread is baked daily in their own wood oven Got sick and tired of the rubbish over priced tourist food in the heart of Sorrento and places with views. This place and food is simple good quality. They also make you feel welcome. O yes Nona Carmelo makes the best tirimasu. One day i was tired of eating menu food I pointed to a tray of eggs and the home baked bread. In no time she wiped up a omelette and stuffed into a loaf of bread and it was one of the better meals i had eaten - again just plain and simple cooked by a lovely friendly lady. Give them a go you will not be disappointed unless you want to waste money on confused eaten places selling tourist food at over the top prices.

1  Thank LunKesor

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Look inside, venue is small; but food is very good. Think about the pizza, it's as good as any 4-star. Red and white styles are made here. I ate tge pasta for lunch. This is the best value for the money in Saint Agnello.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

one of the best meals that we had in Italy! Our second to last night in Italy, we were tired and home sick. A few mins walk from our hotel, we decided to give this place a try. The owner is the cook and the waiter and the entertainer.
With my broken Italian and his broken english, we had a fun night. The house wine is awesome and the pizza is great too!
if you want a good cheap meal, this is the place to go!

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was conveniently located just a few blocks from the Corallo Hotel and the food was tastier than the one across the street from the hotel. This place has tables up front, but also several in a covered interior patio.

The wood fired pizzas were good and the pasta was tasty. The deliciously tender Eggplant Parmesan is an appetizer size and is not enough for dinner, but is a must try.

The prices seemed very reasonable for the area. The service was speedy.

We had food from here twice and would go back again.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

We were tired of jaded exhausted waiters at tourist hot spots, so late on in the season it is hard in sorrento to find any restaurant who can bear to wait another table. I completely understand this but this little unassuming place really has a heart, we were treated like human beings with kindness and courtesy. The food was not the most fantastic I have ever eaten, but I am absurdly fussy anyway. The point is that we've been in italy for a week and eaten in fabulous places in Rome and sorrento, but this is the first time I felt moved to write a review, because I was so glad to be spending my hard earned cash there. The food wasn't too much, too heavy or too complicated. A simple salad with a perfectly boiled egg and a lovely light dressing and a wonderful 'toasted "sandwick". All served up with an attentive service, humour and genuine intention to serve you, no trace of the over-familiar patter or the more common well-developed arrogance and disdain. I liked these people, they seemed to be just getting on with living their lives and serving their food in an unpretentious way without trying too hard or catering solely for the tourist industry. Not grand, not spectacular, but very real. Simple fare with a human touch.