“Pleasant but Mild Indian ”
Review of The Shaad

The Shaad
Ranked #5 of 28 Restaurants in Swanley
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Medium spiced Indian food. Having entered the parking facilities which have plenty spaces. About 20-24 you walk round to enter main door seeing plenty seating space in front and reception bar to the right of entrance. Greeted by all mannered staff. Very clean, with pleasant low mood lighting tables having brown synthetic leather chairs which do dip a bit. Had to change mine.

Ate usual but generous poppadoms starter with chutney onions etc. Ordered a fish (tilapia) starter and wife with king prawn. Quite nice but not so spicy. Just mild. For main ate another fish (tilapia) dish which is the only fish they have, was cooked in mild tomato gravy, a grilled platter which was too mild, not juicy and spicy as elsewhere. The kofte tasted not so fresh but too processed, rubberised. Rather disappointing but good was kept warm on heaters.

Chicken and other cheap cuts of meat tasted ordinary. Ali gobi was quite plain, the chick pea chana I thought would be blended down but no,...just a simple chick peas in a mild sauce. Pilau rice again was ordinary. No pungent smell rising to tantalise my taste.

Pishwari Naan was coconut fresh enough for two.
All this with two drinks for under £40 wasn't too bad but I'd expect allot more spice and flavour. It's decent and very affordable.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

My family took me here for a meal for my birthday. We had never been before so didn't know what to expect, a lot of people told us it was a lovely resturant with good food.
A table was booked for 7.30pm on a tue evening, wasn't expecting it to be busy. We walked in and it was very busy for a tue evening. Which for us we thought was a good thing.
The food was amazing. Reasonably priced, great atmosphere. The waiters were very friendly and helpfull. And when we finished our meal, we were offered complimentary drinks.
We got the bill and for 4 people with starters, mains, sides and drinks only came to about £70 which I thought was very reasonable.
I would defenatly come again.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 October 2017

This was complete serendipity. We went out to Swanley to another restaurant that turned out to be fully booked, so we happened upon The Shaad and were delighted by the food and surroundings. Unprepossessing from the outside, The Shaad ["taste" in Bengali] has a smart, clean, spare interior. The food was tasty--warm papadums with a variety of chutneys, then lamb, chicken, potato, and vegetarian dishes and basmati rice. They have zero alcohol Cobra, which is great if you like beer but are driving. The service was quick and attentive. The loo was clean and spacious and on the same level. This restaurant was a real find!

2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Came to the Shaad to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday and made to feel welcome from the moment we walked in the door by the friendly attentive staff. Seated at our table and order taken quickly and food arrived hot and in a quick manner and tasted as good as it always did. Wonderful main meal and dessert rounded off a special occasion in a special place. Although the restaurant was busy the staff attended to our needs throughout and the food was authentic and beautifully spiced.
My husband and I moved out of the area a number of years ago and still make special journeys just to come here for the atmosphere, food and the service. Highly recommended.

1  Thank loopylou794602
Reviewed 16 September 2017

I only had a quick meal here so perhaps could not do the restaurant justice but the service was friendly , the pappadums and their relishes delicious and my main course was very tasty and there was plenty of it.
Scored as a 4 star only because the dish was really too mild for a medium curry but nontheless very enjoyable