“Brunch ”

Benedicts of Whalley
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Whalley
Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe/Deli Bar part of Maureen Cookson, (Ladies Clothes Shop)on George Street in Whalley. Private car park. Serving breakfasts, lunch, afternoon teas and early family meals. menu complemented by daily specials board. Brigade led by Rachel Pinder and her Young and passionate team. Full delicatessen with homemade takeaway options. Freshly baked bread, local sausages, olives through to truffles.. and a fantastic selection for gluten free. Open from 9am Monday to Saturday until 6.00pm with last food orders at 5.30. Sunday 9 til 4pm for Benedicts breakfast menu. Listed in The Times in their top ten places to eat brunch, GQ magazine and Olive mag. Whalley is a stunning village filled with wonderful independent shops.
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Great for families and ladies that lunch. They do a great breakfast and a good selection of smoothies to accompany the food. Good atmosphere and always busy

HCookson, Owner at Benedicts of Whalley, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2018

Thankyou so much for your kind review. We feel breakfast is hugely important and are always trying new dishes for this great social meal. do you know more people now go out for brunch than dinner at night apparently?

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

We have usually enjoyed our visits to benedicts, but after this morning feel very disappointed and won't be rushing back. Had a long wait just to get our drinks (filter coffee so not complicated) and an even longer wait for our breakfast. The breakfast however was very nice and thankfully the free refills of coffee kept us going whilst we waited. However whilst i dont really mind cafes allowing dogs, i do mind waitresses making a fuss over them and allowing them to jump up on their uniform before then continuing to clear tables. Thankfully we had finished our breakfast by then.

1  Thank Jan C

I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to your review - but we have been waiting to interview all staff to establish who broke our "dog code" and made a fuss of a dog and allowed it to jump up.
We can only isolate one instance when the waitress was assisting a customer who was tangled up in a dog - but she changed her apron immediately and di wash her hands.

Benedicts has always been dog friendly - as I am a passionate animal love myself - and we have very strict codes about canine behaviour (invariably better than a lot of the children we have to let in!). we are having a full staff meeting next week and I will ensure this is high on the list for discussion.

I would appreciate knowing what day and time you were in benedicts to allow me to review the waiting time as our checks record the time food goes on order and the time of delivery back out. Please contact my general manager Cheryl on 01254 822748 and this will allow me to drill further into your complaint and find out the reasons for all the delays you mention.

Our only caveat is that as everything is cooked fresh for each order - the wait time can vary so much according often to the number of complicated breakfast checks. We allow people to "build their own breakfast plate" and this becomes very time consuming for the chefs. We will discuss the idea that a breakfast plate is a breakfast plate and no deviation to see if that can speed us up and allow you a better experience.

I am not sure if your criticisms read as though you will not visit benedicts again - and if that is the case, I thank you for your custom in the past.

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

The staff very friendly and attentive we both had the egg benedict which had bacon and spinach, the ingredients were good quality, the only downside was my eggs were stone cold and very as they say snotty, will go again

Thanks for your review - and your reassurance that you will come again.

I agree with you that those eggs sound a total downside. We are having issues with our egg supply currently - and as we use over 100 dozen each week - you can imagine we need the very best eggs from young chickens. That, however, doesn't excuse them being cold. I am meeting with my chefs tonight and will make this top of my agenda.

Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

We found Benedict’s by chance just off the Main Street. What a delightful Delicatessen and coffee shop and it is. We did not have time to stop for food or drinks, but there were 6 people waiting to be seated, obviously very popular!

The quality and variety of food and fancy goods available in the deli was excellent, with so many brands we were spoiled for choice but did make a number of fresh food purchases including some nice serving dishes. The lady who served us was pleasant and polite.

This is a nice place for us to stop off at in the future when we can hopefully try some food and drink!

1  Thank OldBear
HCookson, Owner at Benedicts of Whalley, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2018

I am delighted you ventured off King Street and onto our sidestreet George Street. We are certainly an odd find in a picturesque village! Historically we were the village cinema on the first floor and a series of shops and a bank downstairs in the grand days of the Coop.
We are primarily a womenswear department store - and added Benedicts on seven years ago as I wanted to create a café culture in the village. We then added on the deli three years ago - as I wanted to bring a village shop selling local produce, fresh breads and imperialistic titbits from around the world!
Do come and see us again for all manner of the above!
thankyou for your kind review.

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

Been trying for 3 weeks now to have brunch here but always no room. I think it was a mistake to take tables from the back part and create a shop. This reduces supply and aggravates many long standing customers.
Been going here for years but now found somewhere else locally with a more customer focussed approach to business.

HCookson, Owner at Benedicts of Whalley, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

I am so sorry that you have felt so frustrated about benedicts that you have chosen to go elsewhere for your regular breakfast. It must undo all that good your class has done before you arrive! However, I am delighted you have found somewhere else that can fulfill your breakfast requests.
You must be unaware that Benedicts is part of Maureen Cooskons, a long established customer focussed shop - and so taking tables back to form a shop is rather more what we are about than sausage and egg muffins.
Our approach to business is one that has changed and evolved over our sixty years in Whalley and the creation of benedicts was as part of our customer service for our customers who have travelled distances to shop for ladieswear.
There seems little point in mentioning now, as we have lost you as a customer.. that we are putting the tables and chairs back this week now Xmas is over, but perhaps someone else reading your review and my response may still come and support my endeavours even though you choose to damn our efforts.
We are certainly not here to aggravate customers - and certainly managed to please far more by helping them sort out all their xmas hampers and gifts pre xmas whilst shopping for clothes and eating with friends.