“Great food”

Ranked #7 of 63 Restaurants in La Clusaz
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 March 2017

Went to this cosy restaurant on the last night of our holiday and it was really good. I had roasted veal bone marrow on toast and my wife had pork cheek terrine as starters. Both were excellent. For main I had slow cooked pig cheek in beer and honey and it was amazing. My wife had stuffed chicken and she tells me it was amazing. The wine flowed. Everyone was patient with our attempts at French, but they were all able to speak English. If I come back to this town I will be eating here again.

2  Thank Robert K

Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

We were lucky enough to get the last table here and instantly loved the warm atmosphere and very friendly service. Our English speaking waitress was simply fantastic, she was very busy attending to the full restaurant but always with a lovely smile on her face. We enjoyed the dumplings, slow cooked pork and the risotto, all of it delicious but the pork was outstanding and homely with wonderful flavour. The bread served was the best we have tasted in Europe with its chewy crust and soft centre. Such a wonderful evening of food and friendly service.!

3  Thank M0ZGirl
Reviewed 12 March 2017

Very good if you like meat; authentic, rustic, cosy; and overall good value for a typical Savoyard menu with one or two unusual twists on offer.

My partner and I had an unexpected meat-fest here. My starter of bacon in a pastry crust was all bacon (properly a chunk of a shoulder of ham), with any crust baked away to near oblivion. The meat literally fell apart, and had evidently been cooked for a long time; the portion wold have been good even for a main course! My partner's starter was a salad, equally well sized. For mains we had braised beef, and tartiflette, with options for accompaniments - we had chard, not your everyday veg, and this was cooked to be very tender; again, my meat was tasty, succulent, and sublime in texture. We shared a nougat glace for dessert which was an interesting mix of flavours and textures, with an unusual hint of charred nuts. All of this was accompanied by a couple of aperitifs, half a bottle of Apremont, a pot of tea, and free shots of home made Genepi. The bill, at around £50 each, was good value.

My one criticism was that the restaurant felt one table too packed (ours), exacerbated as the place was deservedly busy throughout. The staff were pleasant, and kept up a hectic pace between them, always with a smile. One of the chefs worked on a range at the back of the restaurant, which in any case has a very homely theme, adding to that feel - as the sub text says, 'like Grandma's".

Overall, very good - though you'll need to like meat (unless you go for the ubiquitous cheese fondue).

3  Thank Uponamoor
Reviewed 14 February 2017

Very nice and cosy restaurant, everything was great and the portions were quite generous. The menu was limited to a few dishes, whatever we tried as of excellent quality and taste. A bit expensive but definitely worth it.

Reviewed 10 February 2017

We eat here once a year when we are in la clusaz - had dinner there 28 january- again it was excellent - the service is friendly and very efficient- the menu is traditional French - I love le croustillant starter - And if you like Rose wine from Provence the Peyrassol Le Clos is super.