“Paid £500 to feel like a pauper!”

Sheesh at Ye Olde Kings Head
Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Chigwell
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Postcode: IG7 6QA Tel: +44 (0) 208 559 1155
Reviewed 13 January 2018

It is not often that my friends and I go out for what we perceived as a lavish, well-known and 'posh' venue to dine; so when we do, we expect to feel somewhat special. I live in Dubai and I am always back and forth to the UK as my family live there. On this occasion I decided to try Sheesh, as I had heard a lot about it. Originally we booked a table for 4 people, around 2 weeks before we were meant to dine there. A few days later, another friend confirmed and wanted to join us so I called Sheesh back to change the booking. The staff said there is no way they can change the booking as the restaurant is always fully booked and that there would be no space, but was told I could put down a deposit of £20 per head if I wanted to reserve a table for 5. That made no sense to me as I thought they were fully booked?! After demanding to speak to a manager and calling back several times, they agreed to give us a table of 5 without having to pay a deposit.

All dressed up on the day, we headed excitingly to sheesh. The venue entrance was around the back and was hidden away nicely; the Tudor-style house decorated with large animal statues, vintage cars and pretty lights. As soon as we opened the door we came to a heavy-set, bald bouncer who immediately ushered us to the side and asked "do you have a reservation?" We replied 'yes', and then were told to wait for the 'lady with the clipboard'. While we were waiting, I noticed that MOST of the downstairs dining area was completely empty!

The 'lady with the clipboard' then arrived and before she said anything, looked straight down at a friends shoes and then up at the bouncer saying "what do you think? I can't see." (The inside of the restaurant was very dimly lit). The bouncer then said "no". The lady then informed us that the shoes my friend was wearing were not appropriate enough and so we could not go upstairs to the main bar, instead we were to wait in the lobby area for our table to be ready. We tried to order a drink from the lobby area bar, however were told no at first (until we complained).

While waiting, we were told to take our coats off! My friend and I were wearing faux fur black coats, but I am still unsure as to why I HAD to take off my coat and hand it to one of the staff members. (It wasn't like I was wearing a hoodie!). Once showed to our table we were greeted by a friendly waiter. We decided to go for an array of starters, followed by two large mixed grills and a couple of sides. The waiter then told us that we HAD to order a minimum of one main dish EACH! I had seen the mixed grills before from walking around the restaurant and they were huge, but we were told we couldn't order to share! I have never heard of such an absurd policy in any restaurant before. Keeping our cool, we ordered one main dish each, and not to our surprise, we had to pack two mixed grills to take home as we could not finish all of the food.

After the meal, we paid the bill and on our way out, decided to take a picture in front of a large bear statue in the lobby, however this was frowned upon by the staff and we were told to 'be careful' in case the bear toppled over! Overall, with drinks, we paid around £500 for the total bill, only to be made to feel that we were 'below' all of the staff and were an inconvenience by being there. I have never had an experience like it, and I have been to top restaurants around London and Dubai, where we have always received top class service. I don't know who the staff think they are, but I am certain I would never step foot inside the place again, unless of course, I make a debut on The Only Way is Essex... only then would I be treated like a 'somebody'.

17  Thank Hanna M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed 12 January 2018

We travelled far to come here on a Wednesday night as we'd heard a lot about the place. Don't even know where to start! I wasn't allowed to wear my coat as It wasn't 'smart' enough (it was very smart), and it was freezing cold! We were taken upstairs to the lounge because our table wasn't ready so they sat us half hour late. We had a few drinks then went to our table which was in a quiet part of the restaurant and the atmosphere felt very dull.
We had our food (£20 for a bowl of CHIPS!) then went and sat outside as this was the nicest part of our evening.
We then took ourselves upstairs to what seemed like someones living room with loud music, everyone ontop of each other and everyone judging one another.
We sat with a group of boys we'd met outside (only seats left to sit) where we found a few girls who were with them giving us dirty looks. They then picked a fight and we decided to leave before things got worse

I'd like to imagine its nicer on a Saturday/Sunday evening without that stuck up crowd.

3  Thank ImAFoodie123
Reviewed 12 January 2018

We have been coming here for some time now & the food is wonderful every time.Great venue with sumptuous furnishings.Yes it's a bit OTT but you can't help but love it.The bar upstairs is comfortable with good music even if the drinks are a little on the expensive side.Odd really as the menu in the restaurant is well,priced.Of course a few stars come here ( & a few that only wish they were! ) but every guest is made to feel just as much of a priority.There is a venue up on the higher floors for private dining or hire for an occasion. My family like to try to eat healthily & this place gives you the perfect opportunity to eat without the guilt.The meat is just so incredibly tender and tastes incredible.Such huge portions but it has such huge & colourful salad on each meal it balances out.Side dishes are great but the portions are so large that you won't need too many.They will box up anything you can't get through & people actively want to take it home as they have lovely stylish boxes to pack it up in.This is Sheesh so I wouldn't expect any less from them.If you are lucky enough to be there on the nights the card guy is there then expect to have your mind blown as he is incredible.If you haven't been here yet then put it top of your place s to dine.The cars in the car park make for good viewing too.Get the valet to park for you as it gets tight in the car park..love it !!!

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

The food is very nice, clean food. Very large portions. The staff can’t do enough for you from parking your car, taking your coats, finding you a table, taking your orders. It was all very smooth sailing and the live music upstairs in the cocktail bar was lovely with a nice vibe!

Reviewed 7 January 2018

My husband and I reserved a table at this establishment on Saturday night , and were very impressed. Food was delicious, service was impeccable from the people who greet you at the door to our lovely waiter. Upstairs in the cocktail lounge was a lovely vibe and great singer. Made to feel very welcome.
Amazing décor .....Thank you for a Fabulous evening x