“Mothers Day Dinner”

Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Chigwell
Price range: US$13 - US$38
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A Chigwell Favourite. A well stocked Bar which has historically been the place to be seen on a weekend evening, fused with a Dining Room, whose reputation for great quality fresh food is gaining momentum. Suitable for all ages, the King William IV Chigwell has been put firmly back on the map and is winning rave reviews from our guests. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Haven't been here for some time, and honestly the food has gone down a bit in my estimation. I know it was the end of what was probably an extremely busy Mothers Day service, but still this should not be an excuse, as it wasn't overly busy when we arrived at 7.30 for our dinner. Our waiter was pleasant, but service was so slow with long waiting tie for food to arrive (not our servers fault). The food itself was ok, not amazing but pleasant enough, and quite good value for a set price Mothers Day special. I didn't like the fact that when certain areas of the restaurant emptied out, the lights were turned off immediately, making it dark and with a feeling that they wanted you out of there asap, which they probably did, but at the same time uncomfortable, and not a way to draw a returning clientelle.

General Manager A, Manager at King William IV, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Good afternoon, thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The King William IV, I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Effective Monday 13th March there was a change in manager at The King William IV and I would be very keen to discuss your visit in more detail. Please feel free to contact me at a time that is convenient to you.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Probably the worst roast dinner we have experienced ever!
3 if us ordered roast beef which was served in a bowl not a plate, very unusual.
I am not sure if the potatoes were boiled with an attempt to make them seem like Roast potatoes but either way they were rubbish.
The beef was ok, portions small, 2 small potatoes each, 2 small Yorkshire puddings & a small amount of veg.
We are not the type of people that judge their food by the quantity but come on, surely a roast should fill you.

In summary poor quality food, small portions & average service.

This is not the first time we have been to the King William but it certainly will be the last.
The only only positive was that the deserts were quite good but it was no compensation for the rest of it.

Good morning and thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The King William, I am sincerely sorry we did not meet your expectations on your visit. Effective Monday 13th March there was a change of Manager and I would like to invite you back for a meal one evening that suits you to apologise, please contact me at any time to discuss the above, thanks again.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Went here for Sunday lunch with a 7 year old and a toddler.
We had to wait quite a while before the menus arrived. The food took ages . However the food was very good.
I was not impressed with the toilets. There are no baby changing facilities which meant that I had to go back to the car! Not ideal as it was freezing cold!
Would not go back. Very pricey for a simple lunch.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

Booked a valentines menu for 4 - My birthday is on valentines day and my husbands 4 days later Booked the valentines day menu as it sounded lovely -with the kids ( 18 and 21 ) for a nice evening out together, The whole menu was compromised - Desert - No White choc bomb - said they could not get white chocolate ! - no almond - no pistachio - no raspberry sugar! No bourbon ice cream as described on the menu ! No edible flowers in the raspberry cocktail! as specified on the menu and no baby figs in spiced syrup as per menu on the cheese board ! - All in all nothing as described on menu! the rib eye was not even close to good. I laid this all out to the manger and he took 3 cocktails off the bill. We accepted this but to be honest it was pretty poor !! Everything o the menu was a lie - will not be back !!!

Reviewed 12 February 2018

We booked a table on 3 Feb. On arrival we were seated at a table near a fire door. We asked if we could move to the table next to ours and were told 'no - this table is reserved. We said really - she said yes they've asked for this specific table. Needless to say no-one turned up and the table was empty all night. Then the waitress came up and told us that the hob wasn't working so we couldn't have seabags or one of the chicken dishes and that they'd run out of mozzarella but that they would be using cheddar on the pizzas! I could not believe that they'd run out of mozzarella - in chigwell, with about 4 supermarkets near to the restaurant. The food took a long time to come. I will give the waitress a good mark for service but the manager or person that took us to our table lied and nobody likes that.
As I got 3 or 4 emails confirming my reservation it would have been nice if one of those would have mentioned their lack off hob and cheese! Had friends with us from out of town - won't be going again.