“Thank god for Hannah and Machiek”
Review of King William IV

Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Chigwell
Price range: US$13 - US$37
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A Chigwell Favourite. A well stocked Bar which has historically been the place to be seen on a weekend evening, fused with a Dining Room, whose reputation for great quality fresh food is gaining momentum. Suitable for all ages, the King William IV Chigwell has been put firmly back on the map and is winning rave reviews from our guests. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

A really nice place. I live local. Hannah and Machiek are the nicest staff you could meet. Just thought I should mention that! As I’m so good at complaining when I’m not happy

General Manager A, Manager at King William IV, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Hi Andy. Thanks for the great review, I will pass on your comments to Hannah and Machiek. WE look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

My mother was ill for Mother’s Day so we decided to celebrate on Sunday 18th for dinner. I have never been to the King William before. I had read the mixed reviews but I like to judge for myself. I booked a table on line which was so easy. The venue is lovely - we had a table by the radiators so we came in from the snow to the welcome warmth. We all had roast dinners. Two had roast chicken, two lamb and I had beef. I have to say the food was excellent. Only a couple of niggles - parsnips did not arrive on the meals and we all had just a small amount of gravy on our dinners. It would have been nice to have had a small pot of gravy each to put on our dinners ourselves. We asked about parsnips and they brought up in a dish. My review would have been 5 stars but the chocolate bombe dessert was very disappointing - it was literally melted chocolate with a small blob of ice cream in the middle - very sickly and my daughter who was so looking forward to it couldn’t eat most of it. My husband had sticky toffee which he said was lovely and my mum had the caramel pudding. We didn’t have any but the cocktails looked amazing and at very reasonable prices. Our bill for 5 of us was 140.00 (tip was included) which we thought was very good for 5 of us. Main meals superb - just sad about the 3 chocolate bombe’s. Service very good and we weren’t rush through our meal. Will go again but choose a different dessert!

Hi Sharon,

Many thanks for your review, I have read it with interest and will pass your comments on to our kitchen team regarding the desserts. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

The food was very good. I am a vegetarian and the tart was packed with leeks, butternut squash and a whole array of fresh veg along with a lovely stilton sauce and perfect pastry. The staff were mixed, some were attentive whilst others were unaware or bored. What really shocked me was when I learned that the business keeps 50% of staff tips. I had thought this was illegal and was kicking myself as I had to pay by card, including the gratuity, and would have tipped the young man who had been attentive and helpful. If you enjoy the food and the staff have earned the tip, the pub should not be taking 50% of their tips so make sure you tip in cash.

General Manager A, Manager at King William IV, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to review your visit to us at The King William IV. I am very happy you enjoyed your experience. I agree, the vegetarian tart is a personal favorite of mine at the moment. Just to clarify regarding the tips, the waiting staff split their tips with the kitchen members who are on that day also, the management or the hous do not take any percentage these,sorry for any confusion caused. Many thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Haven't been here for some time, and honestly the food has gone down a bit in my estimation. I know it was the end of what was probably an extremely busy Mothers Day service, but still this should not be an excuse, as it wasn't overly busy when we arrived at 7.30 for our dinner. Our waiter was pleasant, but service was so slow with long waiting tie for food to arrive (not our servers fault). The food itself was ok, not amazing but pleasant enough, and quite good value for a set price Mothers Day special. I didn't like the fact that when certain areas of the restaurant emptied out, the lights were turned off immediately, making it dark and with a feeling that they wanted you out of there asap, which they probably did, but at the same time uncomfortable, and not a way to draw a returning clientelle.

General Manager A, Manager at King William IV, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Good afternoon, thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The King William IV, I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Effective Monday 13th March there was a change in manager at The King William IV and I would be very keen to discuss your visit in more detail. Please feel free to contact me at a time that is convenient to you.

Many thanks in advance,

Lewis Window
020 8500 4122

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Probably the worst roast dinner we have experienced ever!
3 if us ordered roast beef which was served in a bowl not a plate, very unusual.
I am not sure if the potatoes were boiled with an attempt to make them seem like Roast potatoes but either way they were rubbish.
The beef was ok, portions small, 2 small potatoes each, 2 small Yorkshire puddings & a small amount of veg.
We are not the type of people that judge their food by the quantity but come on, surely a roast should fill you.

In summary poor quality food, small portions & average service.

This is not the first time we have been to the King William but it certainly will be the last.
The only only positive was that the deserts were quite good but it was no compensation for the rest of it.

Good morning and thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The King William, I am sincerely sorry we did not meet your expectations on your visit. Effective Monday 13th March there was a change of Manager and I would like to invite you back for a meal one evening that suits you to apologise, please contact me at any time to discuss the above, thanks again.

Lewis Window