“Great food and atmosphere just next to city center”

Restaurant Gasthausbrauerei Alt Giessen
Ranked #13 of 214 Restaurants in Giessen
Price range: US$4 - US$21
Cuisines: Diner, German, Pizza, Central European
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 22 June 2016

I visited around 6 times with friends or family. They offer really tatsty beers they brewed by themselves. The restaurant is very spacious with various sets of tables for different occasions and groups and it is located under their hotel. They also open outside tables in small garden. In general the food is yummy but not that special, with resonable price. I recommend you to have streak and beer :)

Reviewed 14 August 2015

I have heard through the grapevine that the food is average, the beers are good but the service is usually unfriendly. This is the impression many friends have.

We only ordered 1 dish which was chicken wings and I was surprised at how big the dish was and how delicious it tasted. The beer choice was unique and they had a very nice dunkel with beers changing every few months. I recommend this restaurant just for that.

Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves but I have to point out that the main waiter during that evening was rather short, seemed always unimpressed and I would say not a good candidate to serve the public. The rest of the staff seemed much more friendly.

We were also charged for sparking water on our bill that we did not order, so best to check your bills.

I will return.

Reviewed 8 July 2015

The buffet meal is excellent, especially the fish and the dessert. I never try meat, pork, and brewed drink

Reviewed 1 July 2015

Big lunch buffet, great beer which they brew in the house, very friendly staff, big portions of real German food! A must every time I'm in Giessen!

1  Thank BennyTanja
Reviewed 18 March 2015

We had a good time sampling their delicious beers. The place is friendly and inviting. It was worth the evening.