“Great family vacation, but not worth the price”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 5 May 2011

First let me say this is an awesome resort if you have children of any age. There is always something for the kids & teens to do. We went over the Easter long weekend April 23-30th 2011. We were a group of 15. Our family of 4, with a 5 year old and a 15month old. A family of 5 with 3 kids age 8, and two sets of grandparents, and our niece and nephew who are 16 and 18.
I will say that we had a great time. My 5 year old did not want to leave and keeps asking when we can go back.
There are lots of great things about the resort but the best thing of all was the people/staff, they made this the best vacation we have had. Everyone one was so friendly and accommodating. They took the time to play with my children and get to know them. I was amazed at how they remembered my children’s names and made them feel so special. My 15 month old never sat still the whole trip and if I wasn’t running after her then the staff was chasing after her as well. With the few issue’s I had with the resort the staff made the issue’s seem so insignificant.

There are too many wonderful things to mention so I will only mention a few things I would like to see improved/disliked:

-If you are planning to bring a stroller be prepared to take an extra 10 min walk to get to all the ramps and elevators.

-Our flight from Toronto took 3 hours and 50 min (we had a 6:15am flight so keep in mind we had been up since 2am) then you had a 1.5-2 hour bus ride from the airport to the resort. **Hated this the most**

-We arrived at the resort at 12:30pm in the afternoon Jamaica time. They told us to go get something to eat while we waited for our rooms. It was 4:30 Jamaica time before we were able to get to our rooms and luggage. (I was not impressed and neither was my kids) Bring your bathing suit in your carry on so you can swim while you wait for your room.

-I had requested with our travel agent for a ground floor room on the east wing(so we would be close to the kids pool area) 2 double beds and a crib. I had to ask 3 times for the crib before and after we got out room. We ended up with 2nd floor, King bed.

-I had a chance to visit the kid’s camp for my 15 month old before I would consider leaving her there. I was not impressed with the level of care the ladies were giving. One was on her cell phone when I walked in. The other lady was busy attending to a newborn and there was a very young looking girl attending to the other 6 children and playing with them. I did not get a good vibe, looks like it’s just a place to put your kids if you want time for yourself and don’t care how they are being watched. The ladies were very friendly and nice.

We were very happy with the vacation but I am not sure for what we paid that I would go back to Boscobel. I don’t feel we got our money’s worth.

I would recommend this resort to my family and friends. Expect to pay 5 star prices but it’s only a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: upgrade at least two levels!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,409)

Reviewed 4 May 2011

Four of us (kids 7 and 9) had a great week at Boscobel. Food was good, plentiful, and accessible. Water slides were great. Spa was wonderful. The candle lit dinner on the beach was outstanding. If you want to relax with low overhead and little worry about the kids, I recommend this place. Staff would not accept tips, but I insisted in two cases because their service and attitude were above the call.
However, beware of your fellow guests. We had the invasion of the northeasterners during our stay. Many bad tattoos, several people so fascinated with the open bar that they were determined to drink it dry, and many people wearing snug Under Armor gear who really should not. I saw people offended that they did not get individual attention for their money, and teens trying to find a supplier of weed among the staff. The large drunk man and his female companion were entertaining at one bar as they loudly gave their opinions on sports, the staff, excursions, and the quality of the liquor served.
Perhaps the greatest irritation was the people who would leave their towels, shoes or other belongings on the poolside chairs overnight or very early in the morning to “reserve” chairs for the following day. Selfishness knows no bounds. People held chairs for family out on excursions or just sleeping it off. Fortunately staff understands this and if asked, they will help you rearrange chairs and umbrellas to service the families actually at poolside instead of the ghosts.
In short, do not expect 5 star luxuries, primarily because you may be surrounded by 2 star clientele.

2  Thank RelaxAlready123
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Check in very slow - arrived about 10:30 or 11:00 after an all night flight from Calgary - were finally assigned rooms about 4:30 Pm. Our room was to have 2 beds & a hide-a bed but we got a King size bed so asked for a cot as I was sharing a room with my mother in law.Nicely furnished and roomy, the room was clean.View of a rooftop and the shop but tolerable.Hallways & elevators were were not clean - there were blood drops on the hall floor for at least 4 days. I mentioned the elevators to the front desk and they assured me they would alert the manager - they were never cleaned during our stay. I was referred to Trip Advisor when I asked for a comment card!
All the staff were extremely friendly and pleasant. It was a British holiday and the place was packed with families.
We wanted to go into town and told that the taxi fare was $60 US for 1-4 people round trip. Then we found out we could go outside the gates, cross the road and take a cab - we did & it cost $13US.
We were there for a wedding (31 of us) and as an invited guest, I felt the service to be lacking. Our wedding meal was very late being served - 2 people at our table of 8 were served 20 minutes after the first 6 -hence our meals were stone cold.The meal was so late being served that the entertainment at the pool area below us had started and it was impossible to have speeches, toasts, first dance etc .Finally they did bring a portable microphone and while the band had a break, we quickly had the toasts etc. Then the management wanted an extra $500 because we were past the allotted time for the reception!
One family of 4 was in a lovely room but the daughter had to return early to Canada so the hotel was going to change rooms for 2 nights. The guests were told to check out by 9:00 and check in again at 4pm!
Would I stay there again -probably not but I think the folks with young families seemed to be having a great time. From an adults point of view, activities were limited - glass bottom boat - no fish seen - a bit of coral, snorkelling - to a shallow area with very few fish, Hobie cats - Ok for a short 15 min. ride.
Beach is very small but the water is lovely & clear.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for.
2  Thank Cheryl08
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We just returned from a week at Beaches Boscobel over Easter vacation. No resort will please everyone. I have done extensive travelling and have stayed in Ritz-Carlton's as well as Holiday Inn's. This property is neither. The accomodations are very nice. Rooms are clean and spacious and much better than average for the Carribean but not ultra luxury. The staff are wonderful and accomodating but again not the same as at "The Pierre" in Manhattan. The beach is small but this was a known entity prior to booking the trip. The food was very good and plentiful. The sit down restaurants unfortunately did have a long wait which was tough with kids but the choices at the buffet were varied and quality was top notch. Some people did have complaints about some of the things that were complained about on this board: "Turks and Caicos is better". "I can't believe they aren't coming by serving drinks at the pool" etc. This Beaches is half the price as Turks and Caicos and a much better value than most family resorts. I would reccomend it highly.

Reviewed 24 April 2011

Just returned form a 7 night/ 8 day stay at beaches Boscobel in a regular room. When we checked in we were a little skeptical our room was not ready so we had lunch and went to the pool which were both nice. When our room was ready we noticed our door was broken, the air was not working and requested a room change it took a while but we were moved and the new room was better. The accomodations are just OK, dated furniture, no clock but the fridge was stocked and the room was clean. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel this is not.
The main pool and water park are great, there were enough slides for the kids and my husband and I enjoyed them too. Towels are plentiful and wet ones can be exchandged for dry at any time the ool is open. I especially like thie swim up bar which my kids liked to get cold drinks from while swimming.
The kids club was great both my boys ages 5 and 9 had a blast. There were activities planned from9 AM till 9 Pm for each of them and they were age appropirate . My little one loved interacting with the characters and my older one enjoyed the scirence experiemnents and sports. The staff was great especially Suzette, Taz, and Kimono. I felt the boys were in good hands with them.
The food was good, we ate at all the different restaurants and always left full and satisfied. Orlando, Jomo and Andrew were wonderful.
The beach is small but there are great activies and friendly instructors, we snorleled, sailed, rode the waterbike,, banana boat, glass bottom boat and took a catamaran to DUnns River Falls.
What made this trip outstanding was the entertainment crew. Neshaune, Shauna, Deval,and Ainsley were all excellent. They truly made us feel great. They had a lot of fun activities and got everyone involved. We enjoyed the morning stretch in the pool and the poolside games during the day and the nightly entertainment. The bands and shows were great. These people are the best in the business and are truly and assest to the resort.
I did use the spa services and Kerry Ann was wonderful. The fitness center needs some updating as the equipemnet is worn and the room is just way too hot to exercise in.
Alll in all this was a great vacation, we would recommend it to anyone looking for a great get away.

1  Thank Jeanine1960
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
88.6 km away
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
84.2 km away
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!