“Everything You Could Want”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Everything you could ask for
We stayed from July 1 2008 Till July 7 2008 for our daughters wedding. We had 22 people in our group and not one of us had a problem with the resort or the staff. As soon as you arrive at the resort you are greeted by a staff member with a nice cold rum punch drink that sure tasted good after the 2 hour bus ride.Then you are taken to the lobby to get checked in. After filling out some papers they take you up to your room and make sure everything is fine with it. It was only a short time and our bags were brought up to the room I don't even think we made out to the balcony before they were knocking on our door. The room was very clean and the a/c worked great it was also a good size for the 5 of us in our family. After getting changed we walked around and checked out the rest of the resort and had some more rum punch and got something to eat at the BQ pit resturant.There was ribs,chicken,burgers,wings,french fries and some other things. Everything we had was great. Then we walked down to the beach an went swimming in the warm clear water. The beach is a little small but during our stay we had no problem finding chairs and umberrellas to sit under to keep out of the sun if you wanted to. All of the resturants have great food. Some of things are a little differant but even our kids found something they liked at every one. We spent most of our time during the day at the beach and at the pool and pool bar. You have to try the Bob marley the maimi vice and the dirty bananna drinks they were great. they make alot of other good ones to. My daughter got married on the 4th of July on the beach. They have a few other places that they set up for weddings but she wanted the no shoe look in the sand. Everything went great with the wedding no problems at all. The only thing is have people there to take pictures because if you buy them from the resort it is expensive. My wife an i bought 3 8x10 an 2 5x7 and it cost 110.00 us dollars. And buy your rum at the airport it is about half of the price you will pay at the resort. All i can say is don't listen to the bad reviews that you read go for yourself and enjoy every moment of your vacation.

1  Thank BoyertownPa.Mike
Write a ReviewReviews (4,342)

Reviewed 28 July 2008

We stayed at Beaches Boscobel Resort from May 29-June 5 and had a wonderful time. We took our 7, 3 1/2 and 2year olds along. This was our first trip as a family and I must say we all had a great time. I cannot say enough about the daycare/kids camp. We have never been able to leave our 2 year old without her crying, but she did not cry once during our vacation. In fact, she loved going to the kids camp. They always had fun activities to do (from going to the beach to baking with Cookie Monster).
We stayed in the basic room without a balcony. The room was clean and quite spacious. We had a King bed, crib, pullout sofa and roll away bed with still a lot of space to move around. The room showed a little wear and tear but that didn't bother us. We hardly spent time in our room except to sleep. The beach is small, but they make up for it with an awesome water park. Overall, we would recommend this resort for families.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We stayed for 7 nights at Beaches Boscobel July 19-26 with our 2 children (6 & 9) and overall had a great time.

Property and Rooms: The property is well kept - not spotless but not dirty or run down as some have opined. We stayed in an Oceanfront Terrace room on the third floor - fantastic views of the beach and Carribean Sea. It was concierge level and the help of the concierge office in making reservations for dinner and excursions was great. [The one time we needed something from the main desk - changing money as a souvenier - the experience was not great]. The refrigerator in our room with unlimited bottled water and sodas also came in very handy. The concierge will fill it with your favorites among the selections - we asked for extra bottled water and were always accomodated. One negative about the room is that we could hear the nightly entertainment in the room and it was disturbing. It did typically end by 10 and we were usually very tired so it wasn't a big problem but it would be nice if they'd do something to better insulate the rooms.

Food: The food was fine but don't come expecting a gourmet experience. The breakfast buffet in the Bayside was okay - got a little old given minimal variation day to day. The Arizona is in a beautiful setting but the dinner we had there was lacking - my vegetarian burrito appeared to be canned beans wrapped in a tortilla with a processed cheese slice melted on top. I did get a good takeout vegetarian taco salad there one afternoon. [While it is not advertised, it is perfectly acceptable to get takeout from the restaurants and eat in your room, on the beach, by the pool - wherever. This comes in especially handy when the kids don't want to leave the beach to eat]. The grill by the pool is decent and good for lunch - the kids took full advantage of the unlimited soft serve icecream machine nearby [Note that it closes at 6 or 6:30]. We did not try Eleanors - the adult "fine dining" restaurant. By far our favorite restaurant was the Ventian -the Italian restaurant. My husband enjoyed the steak and I recommend the 5 cheese ziti al forno. They also have a nice foccacia, oil and balsamic service. Tip: Pack some of your favorite snacks. I love nuts and was glad I packed them given that there were none offered other than in the spa. The kids also enjoyed having familiar candy - other than the ice cream machine they didn't really enjoy any of the desserts offered.

Beach and Pools: We did not find the size of the beach to be a problem. The kids enjoyed playing in the sand - crab catching and observation - and swimming. Bring snorkels for the kids to play with on the beach - there are some small fish and starfish to watch. We also enjoyed the big pool. I swam laps there early a couple mornings - it is not a lap pool but doesn't get crowded until about nine so you can carefully manage some exercise if you'd like. I agree with previous reviews that it is unfortunately necessary to stake out beach and pool chairs early in the morning - I would say before 8 if you want your pick. Both pools tended to be filled during peak hours (9:30 - 4:00) while there were always chairs available on the beach (not in the front couple of rows and not always in the shade, though). Agree with the reviewer who suggested that you bring some old t-shirts to leave with your towels - only once did I have someone disturb our reserved chairs (they moved my towel and book and reduced our reserved chairs from 3 to 2 - not a big deal but annoying and the woman who was sitting it in the "stolen" chair completely ignored my inquiry as to how my book got moved). I saw workers removing used towels from chairs througout the day. Also agree that you should grab clean towels when you see them. They do run out towards the end of the day and aren't always available first thing in the morning.

Exercise: Clearly not the focus of the "no worries; relax; indulge" culture at the resort (and the whole country for that matter) but I prefer to exercise and then relax without guilt. As previously mentioned, you can manage to swim laps in the main pool. On Friday, the schedule included water aerobics that never happened, so don't count on that. The gym serves its purpose - has several treadmills and small televisions, weights etc. I was the only person there both times I went.

Nightlife/Entertainment: Entertainment was fine. Our kids liked to swim in the big pool near the stage and watch from there. Even though they are too old for Sesame Street, it was not a problem. Not a big draw but a nice way to cap off the day.

Water sports: We snorkeled and went on the banana boat rides. The snorkeling trip was quite short and somewhat rushed and we saw maybe a dozen fish. The highlight was a buried cannon. If you are experienced snorkelers you'll be disappointed but it was our kids' first time and they just liked trying it out. The banana boat rides were fun - no reservations needed. These go from 2-4 each afternoon and are a nice little break from swimming.

Excursions: We went to Dunn's River Falls, which I highly recommend. It is somewhat physically challenging (take your own water shoes - you can rent there, but who wants to rent shoes?) but beautiful and fun. We went on Monday and it was not too crowded (try to avoid days when lots of cruise ships are in port, as this is a huge tourist draw). We also did the Hooves Heritage tour and beach horse ride - fantastic!! They were great with the kids and we learned some Jamaican history along the way. My husband and son went deep sea fishing, arranged by the resort. They caught a big one that got away (they swear!) but it was not great fishing season and I don't think they'd do it again.

Spa: I had a massage. Was supposed to be hot stones but after acquiring a sunburn (which is virtually impossible to avoid given the strong sun all day long), I went with aloe vera instead of hot stones. It is not the most luxurious spa but they are very nice and the massage itself was quite good.

Family Photo: Do it! As much as you will be able to take great photos yourself, book a photo session on the beach and let someone else take some of the whole family. No cost for the session and they have several packages from which to choose if you decide to buy. We bought 15 photos on a disk ($175) - it is nice to have the Christmas card photo done in July! There are also roaming photographers who will grab the kids and take photos of them throughout the week. They get bracelets with numbers on them. Collect them and view them along with the photo session photos - they can be combined on the disk.

Departure: A bummer. The night before we left they told us that our bus back to the airport would leave at 8 (for a 2 p.m. flight). When we checked in with the concierge in the morning, however, we learned that they had been mistaken and that it would leave at 9 (that's an hour's sleep I'll not get back ). Checking out was a breeze - the concierge took care of this - but getting the luggage and ourselves on a bus was a mess. There was a huge crowd and it was 45 minutes before we got on a bus to the airport. No preferential treatment for concierge guests was apparent.

The bottom line: Go and enjoy!

Reviewed 27 July 2008

I offer cautions first: our vaca didn't start off well. We booked our flight on the Beaches website - being not familiar with the American airlines, we flew Delta. Delta was the cause of all our travel woes. The flight from Toronto landed in Atlanta with one hour stopover on the way to Mbay. However, Delta left us on the tarmack for 1/2 hour giving us 1/2 hour to get from concourse A to concourse E with two kids in strollers and carry ons! what a nightmare! and my husband refused to take the train because we were too unfamiliar with where we'd end up. We ran with the two strollers. We caught the plane but our luggage never. We landed in Mbay with no luggage. Our carry ons were light for travel and contained mostly toys for the kids and some baby stuff. After a 2 1/2 hour drive from Mbay to the resort in our jeans in 30 degree celcius heat - we had to go shopping at the resort store for clothes and supplies ($$$). needless to say our dour mood ruined the otherwise lovely greeting you get at the resort on arrival. We did receive our luggage the next night - but by then we had missed two dinners (everyone likes to dress up for dinner). When we received our suitcases one brand new piece had the zipper destroyed by Jamaican Customs. The emotional roller coaster of not knowing if or when we'd see our luggage was horrible. The resort did not offer any coupons, discounts etc to ease the pain - all they would do was call the number we supplied them for the airport. If you lose your luggage in Jamaica you will find out they are not as organized as Canada or the US. However, when we did get our luggage - our vacation really began - it felt like Christmas!

The resorts service spoiled us - I don't think I will be able to travel anywhere but Sandals family when in the Carribbean. The service was phenominal - they just might want to be able to have something in place to help people who have their luggage lost.

On the way back Delta once again caused us problems. We flew from MBay to Atlanta with Rum (we bought) in our carry on. In Atlanta we were told that it had to be packed in checked bags. Funny - we flew into the US with it on board?? Of course we had no checked bags - they were onto Toronto. In Jamiaca we were told that we had to pick up our bags and re-check them. In Atlanta we went to the bag pick up to learn that they weren't there (we thought great lost again) but the baggage handlers told us they would have went on to Toronto. Next we were told that if we wanted to carry the rum we bought we would have to change a carry on into a checked bag. Unfortunately we forgot to remove our two month old camera cellphone from the side pocket and voila it was stolen. The bill came a month later with $80 worth of calls web browsing from Atlanta airport - I got to tell you - that wouldn't happen here - esp a cellphone that has a picture of a child on it when you flip it open. Here in Newfoundland we make sure you get your phone back.

My advice is make sure you have changes for everyone in your carry ons and never book for one hour stopovers and don't fly DELTA!!! Personally - the next time I head to the Carribbean I will not stop in the US - too paranoid! Every 5 minutes in the airport was a warning not to leave your carry on and then just before our flight , sirens went off and lights flashing that there was some security threat. Americans might be used to this I got say I was Scared for me and my kids.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank LisaJudy
Reviewed 24 July 2008

As a previous review stated, we too were a little apprehensive about this resort based on earlier reviews. Our family had never left the USA or stayed at an all inclusive resort before this trip. Needless to say, there were a lot of unknowns for us prior to arrival. We flew to Montego Bay and had no problems breezing through customs and immigration, We filled out the necessary forms on the plane(provided by the airline, in flight). We enjoyed a few minutes rest and a cold Red Stripe in the resort's hospitality room. We were then taken to meet our driver. We were taken to the resort in a small mini van and the ride took two hours. The driver stopped once at a small store/restroom. He wanted to stop again on down the road but I told him we were ready to get to the resort. His demenor changed a little after that. Once at the restort, we were greeted with rum punch and friendly faces. Check in was easy and we were escorted to our room. The room was clean and spacious. Our only complaint with the room was the poor quality mattress on the beds. However, we spent very little time in the room. The cleaning staff did an excellent job every day on our room and the turn down service was a nice extra touch. Several people have commented that they felt the resort was too much oriented towards the Seaseme Street age group. I never got that feeling, in fact the nightly entertainment was great. My children range in age from 18-22 years and they never had a dull moment. Between the pool, water slides, snorkeling, SCUBA, and cold bananna daquiries, they had a blast. Heck, I am 50 and I spent two afternoons on the slides trying to perfect skimming across the pool at the bottom. We all took the resort SCUBA course and loved it. They also offered the next level course to get you a PADI card. Thecourse is $300but they credited the 70 I spent on the resort course. If you don't do the diving, definitely snorkle. We saw lots of fish and octopus and the reef was beautiful. One word of adivice, get down to the water sports department shortly before 8:30 A.M. to sign up for dives and snorkeling. They fill up quickly and you must sign up a day ahead of the activity. Now for the important things. Food! There are several resteraunts on the grounds, but we only ate at the Arizona, the BBQ, and the Bayside. Our favorite was the Bayside. It is an open air buffet near the pool. They serve breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnght "snack". Each night is a different theme and we were never disappointed. My only semi complaint is the locals who come to the beach area to try and sell souvineres. A few were a little pushy, but never rude. I just grew a litte tired of getting asked to buy something. The resort did invite some local artist to the pool deck on a couple of days and they were very nice to talk to and I purchased painting from one. All in all, we had a great week and definitley recommend Beaches Boscobel for a family vacation.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank John R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
88.6 km away
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
84.2 km away
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!