“First place we went to after 3 weeks in Germany”

The old german deli
Ranked #16 of 70 Restaurants in Big Bear Lake
Reviewed 12 October 2017

A great addition to Big Bear Lake. Authentic German brats along with great pork chops. Do not miss their potato salad and sauerkraut. Good selection of German beer to enjoy with your meal. We try to go every month.

1  Thank paul s

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Finally, a German deli in Big Bear. Their selection of sausages is excellent and the staff (mostly (all?) family) are extremely friendly and helpful; don't hesitate to ask if you're not familiar with one of their sausages or simply want a recommendation. Prices are very reasonable.

Take an order to go or sit at one of their outside tables if the weather is nice.

I am a repeat customer.

1  Thank waterspit
Reviewed 18 June 2017

This place has been in Big Bear less than a year, having previously been in Palm
Springs. I love true ethnic deli's- those who both make their products and buy them from authentic sources. This place is family run- we were in for lunch, Pop and two sons were running the place. Some items on the menu are home-made, such as the sauerkraut, while others such as the multitude of beers are from Germany.

While I'm German/French in makeup, my knowledge of deli food comes from my father- a connoisseur of foods with Germanic origin. He loved all manner of sausages/wursts, pickled eggs, pickled pigs knuckles and feet, German beers and wines. While only some of these items were allowed in our household by my mother, I still got the dissertations on the merits of them.

I had a kraut dog- their sauerkraut is a sweet version, very good, although the bun could have been a bit more substantial/heavy. The whole-seed brown mustard was spicy, moderately intense with a sweet note- very good. My Danish wife had a liverwurst sandwich- she loves liver- according to her (I hate liver) it was very good albeit a lot to eat. The owner gave her a mini-lecture on the subtleties of the various types of liverwurst.

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

Great place for people who like to try different food cultures. Staff was very friendly. Place was clean. There is seating area outside.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Even if you don't schprechn zee Deutch, you will have no trouble ordering up delicious sandwiches , soup, and pairing it with great brews.