“Don't do it - not worth $200/night”

Castle Wood Cottages
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Front desk was friendly. Room (castle cove) was not clean at first glance but just seemed dusty...ok... But then when we went to turn down bed--- the dark (removable/washable) decorative pillow shams had what appeared to be cum or some other dry bodily fluid on them. Didn't attempt to use the hot tub as it looked dingy and since the pillow shams weren't washed I doubt the tub was sanitized.
Once we fell asleep, I felt something tickling me... it was the first of many spiders that we killed that night. Spider webs throughout room and bathroom. I understand that it's in a mountain setting, but at least maintain the cabins that people sleep in. The night was not romantic or comfortable at all.

*walking distance to the village
*coworkers stayed in the treehouse and enjoyed

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 July 2017

So I wanted to leave another review because the first time I visited, I stayed in the Enchanted Forest, but on this return my husband and I stayed at the Castle Garden.

We loved the Castle Garden! I keep thinking I have a favorite, but the next time I stay somewhere different, I have a new favorite! The craftsmanship and work that went into building and designing this cottage is inspirational. I mean, you can definitely see that a lot of love was put into it. There are seriously hidden gems everywhere and I enjoyed moseying about the room to look at every detail.

I feel like the cottages and grounds are very well cared for. I love the amenities provided: movies, wifi, gift baskets or petals and bath salts for purchase. The service is always really great and very accommodating.

It will definitely be a must to visit the rest of the cabins (I have yet to stay in the smaller ones yet, or the treehouse) and make it an anniversary tradition. It is something fun and unique to do with your significant other and Big Bear is such a cool town with great nearby dining. We simply love it here and will be returning.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley N
Reviewed 9 January 2017

So we stayed in the Treehouse in December and loved it so much we came back and stayed in the Castle Garden in January. We had the best time. Much needed romance and alone time. The place is truly magical. Owners are great and all details handled in professional manor including the fresh flowers in the rooms. LOVE LOVE LOVE this place. We till be back and next time we are planning on trying the Enchanted Forrest Room. CAN'T WAIT

Room Tip: Don't hesitate just go
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindapG3175HL
Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

I took my wife to Castlewood Cottages in Big Bear, CA for our 25th wedding anniversary. Each cottage has a different theme. We stayed in the "Tree House."
The cottage was actually built 20' up a tree. The inside featured a lighted tree, jacuzzi, and a fireplace. Up the spiral staircase is the bedroom with a very comfortable bed and a table set to two.
Staying in this cottage was like living in a fairy tale. In fact, in the closet was a "Fairy"
Costume that my wife could dress up in and look the part of a fairy. It was very cute.

If you are looking for a wonderful, romantic getaway for two, Castlewood Cottages is a great choice. My wife an I really enjoyed our overnight stay there. It will be a night to remember!

There are plenty of great restaurants nearby. Check out their website. There are pictures of all of the Cottages and amenities.

Enjoy your stay!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Shannon O, Owner at Castle Wood Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2016

Happy Anniversary to you both, again! Can't wait to have you back!
Thanks,
Shannon

Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

One word, AMAZING! Loved every moment of being there. We went here for our short stay honeymoon after staying in Palm Springs and it was other worldly. So peaceful, a warm welcome and beautiful surroundings. We stayed in the tree house which had its own real wood fire, jacuzzi big enough to fit two (and we are not the smallest of people) and fairy lite tree which was so romantic. It's a short 10 minutes walk to 'The Village' which had bars, restaurants and shops, but if you don't feel like it they are happy for you to take food in. There is two tvs, dvd player, shower, microwave, mini fridge, coffee machine and sofa in the tree house which is brilliant plus you can take any dvds from the reception to watch while you stay. Truly magical, thank you!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1.2 km away
Eagle's Nest Bed and Breakfast Lodge
0.9 km away
The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort

Been to Castle Wood Cottages? Share your experiences!