“Came for the craic & left full of grub and smiles”
Review of McCooey's

McCooey's
Ranked #12 of 129 Restaurants in Newry
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 25 December 2017

My mum had been telling me about the laughs and great grub in McCooeys so I'd been dying to try it out for a while. My other half is a Galway man, making me a South Armagh exile now living in 'the Freeschtate'. For years, he couldn't understand me until I showed him Lianne's Youtube video of the culchie dictionary. So naturally he wanted to meet the icon herself. Firstly, the place was brilliant- so comfy and warm on a chilly pre-Christmas shopping day. The food was bang-on. Big mugs of tay and huge toasties that my big lad pronounced to be a fine feed indeed. The table was roomy enough for all five of us to sit down and have a cracking feed before we hit the road for the long journey back (for the record, we were still stuffed by the time we got home). Lianne came outside to say cheerio to us as we left- she really is a ticket. I remember her well from the Sacred Heart school bus (44) & she's not changed one bit. We'll be back for sure. I'm bringing more Galwegians next time too.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

It was our first visit and it didn't disappoint, I had a toastie which was well packed with thick ham & came with a side salad & coleslaw & hubby had a big bowl of soup with 2 pieces of wheaten. The food was delicious, the service was very quick & the staff were pleasant & friendly. We loved the 10 commandments on the wall. If you're looking a good hearty lunch at a reasonable price, this is the place to go to!

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Called in for a well earned break from shopping in Newry. Ordered a small and large fry (Wife had the large. Lolz). Sausages were fantastic - they are indeed the best in Newry. Usually I don’t enjoy slogans etc lashed around the walls. However, this time they were actually funny. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

It was a while since I was there last so I decided to stop off Saturday mornings for a breakfast .. when I entered there was a few empty seats and I was soon approached by a waitress. The first thing she said was are you here for a breakfast when I said yes she said I'm sorry but there is a bit of a wait this morning 20 to 25 minutes. I was taken back to be honest I have never been to a restaurant before that the inform you there is a delay before you order and to be Doubly honest it was great to be told that . How many times have you sat in a restaurant placed you order and waited and waited on your food wondering when it is coming. Well in mccooeys the are brilliantly up front about it and when I thought of the options of going somewhere else it didn't make sense . Drive down the street look for parking get a table place an order would take longer than the 20 -25 minutes that I would wait her . So I said I would wait I settled down with a newspaper and a coke and in 20 or so minutes I was served the breakfast exactly as I ordered which is an achievement in itself as I'm a bit fussy . Extra toast was no issue even , After eating my fill came time to pay and when I happily handed over the few pounds the staff again apologised for the delay .
Overall the food was excellent the service was second to none and the fact that the are upfront and honest about how long from order to eating means I will become a more regular customer.

2  Thank thebiged1
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Desperately wanting to come on here ranting about this that and the other but they need to up their game in the room-for-complaint stakes. I'm flippin well ragin I have no discourtesy to report, no filthy tables to shake my head at, not even a wrong order to have ruined my day, was tempted to order from my imagination not the menu but heart afeared I'd be told where to shove my pistachio infused dove heart tuile by the wee red head babe that patrols the floors. Determined to return and find any god's given amount of things wrong with this place.