Free cancellation until 26/07
US$87
Free cancellation until 25/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$184
Meadowbrook Cottage B&B(Box)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
Agoda.com
T's B&Bs(Corsham)
Norbin Farm(Corsham)
21 Park Lane(Corsham)
1,194 results
All reviewsthe main housequirky hotelnew buildingdavid baileyrocking horseguinea fowlroll top bathcourse mealkippersweekend breakfood was lovelybeautiful groundscountry housetwo night staymarcoartworkphotographs
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

We arrived looking forward to a short break with friends. A young man gardening was good enough to locate someone to check us in as the reception was deserted and only manned by an elderly greyhound type dog snoozing in the corner.
The first thing we noticed on entering was the whole place had a bad smell of stale boiled cabbage and looked like we had entered a rather scruffy hallway of someone's private house. I would suggest some fresh air ventilation would be welcome there.
The young lady who arrived was pleasant and welcoming. She showed us to our room ( no.1) in the main house. On first impression it looked great, a little quirky and not to my taste but I don't live there so that does not matter.
The overwhelming problem was the heat, it was stifling. The young lady attempted to open a window but unfortunately out of three old sash windows only one would open about 10 inches. The others had been painted shut in the long distant past probably at the time they were last cleaned on the outside.
At this point I should say that if the window opened properly it would be possible in the case of a fire to escape onto the flat roof below, but the opening was much too small.
I did ask for a fan to help with the lack of ventilation but none was available.

I realised that there are no fire escape notices anywhere in the room, I am sure this is a legal requirement. Does the local fire department not inspect these places?

On first appearance the room looked good but its short comings soon become apparent.
There was no television ( not a problem for us ) although the website states all rooms have them. A small radio bizarrely was sitting on top of the toilet cistern. No tea or coffee facilities, no working telephone and an absence of any hotel information, telephone numbers etc. that are usual in hotel rooms.
The room was quite clean but plenty of dust was there to be found if you looked, behind the bed had a plentiful supply and also elsewhere but not worth listing. It would not pass inspection by the contestants of the tv program "4 in a bed".

Over the bed are two large pictures of the Queen and Dame Edner Evridge dressed as the Queen, this may offend some people and perhaps is in poor taste for that reason.
The bed itself was comfortable with big feather pillows and duvet with quality bed linen. This was let down by the size being a very small double, it is not big enough for a large couple to sleep in.
A bigger bed would fit, there is enough room.
The bathroom looked good, large roll top bath and matching toilet and sink. Although the bath tap included a hand shower, any kind of shower curtain or screen is absent making it very difficult to use without spraying water about and flooding the floor. This is all assuming of course you have water to use, ours run dry ( hot and cold )in the first morning and it was some minutes before it appeared again. This would indicate to me that the cold water comes from a tank not the mains. If this is the case we should have been advised not to drink it as who knows what is floating around in some dark and dusty tank somewhere. My wife asked at check-in if the water was safe to drink from the tap and was told it was, make you own mind up on that one if you stay there. The receptionist's explanation for the lack of water was they only have a small boiler, they also must have a very small tank. She did offer to try to change our room if one was available but we declined as the water had reappeared by then.
Strangely in the room a decanter of "Mr Whites gin" is supplied with two glasses. Apparently the idea is you purchase some tonic from the hotel and the gin is "free", needless to say we, and I suspect most people, steered well clear or that one.

When we returned to the hotel for the second night our room had not been attended to and it was just as we left it that morning. The reason apparently is they only have one key for that room and we had taken it with us so they couldn't get in. Incredible.

The worst single aspect of our stay was on the second morning being woken at 3.30 by very loud voices using all kinds of profanities at full volume along with much crashing of pots and pans. This carried on for around an hour until peace resumed. Room 1 is above the kitchen and is best avoided. Maybe we should have taken the earlier room change offer!
The manager next morning looked and was totally clueless as to why this had happened. Some discipline and enforcing of rules of behaviour is required for the offenders.
We paid £300 for two nights dbb and given that its owner is a renowned chef our expectation was high. The dinner both nights was mediocre, to be kind, and the menu choice was not extensive. To have a steak required a supplement of £12.50, rather expensive to my mind after what we had already paid.
The dinner itself was of pub food variety and quality, the menu was the same both nights with one change. Service on both nights was quite good and reasonably prompt.

Breakfast overall was poor and only one item was allowed from the menu. Toast arrived quickly and got stone cold while we waited for our choice to arrive. The " full English" was strange, only poached eggs are available and when I asked if fried was an option I was told it was not because they only have a limitedl team of staff at breakfast.
The eggs are perched on top of a crumpet and accompanied by one sausage, half a tomato, three or four mushrooms , two rashers of bacon, overcooked on the first morning, and absent untill I asked for it on the second morning, and a small piece of black pudding. The black pudding looked like congealed blood and the very small piece I tried was very sweet and perfume flavoured, not nice.
My wife had granola with "natural" yoghurt ( isn't' all yoghurt natural? Maybe not I dont know) with a squiggle of honey on top, she asked if she could have a banana but none were available. Maybe if one had been it would have triggered the quite scary and threatening £99 surcharge for additional items printed on the bottom of the menu along with the 45 minute wait also mentioned.
The service at breakfast was quite good but the two waiters did a lot of walking back and forth with just a cup or other single item, they must be tired at the end of service.
I have tried to be fair about this review and overall would say the hotel has the ability to be a gem but it is severely let down by what individually are possibly minor faults but added together make this hotel and restaurant pretty poor value for money. Higher quality management is called for. If you do stay there , room 1 is nice but noisy best avoided.

We enjoyed our time in Bath with friends and should I revisit would definitely stay and eat somewhere else and save a lot of money in the process. Do not think that having a famous owner guarantees value and quality, it certainly in this case does not.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan F
Reviewed 10 May 2018

We stayed here over the bank holiday weekend and we had a great stay......the hotel is about 8 miles from Bath and we had no problems finding it or getting into and out of Bath. On arrival they upgraded us to a superior room ( very nice room and large) but it was a double and we were two ladies so we asked for a twin ...... Basic room was quite small with two twin beds in it but had everything we needed and the beds were very comfortable. We had a very nice bathroom with a separate shower and deep bath. The rooms and the hotel are covered in large pictures of famous faces..... We had David Niven, The Queen and Boy George just to name a few..... The house is also furnished with an eclectic mix of collections and photos..... We liked it but it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea! The grounds were a little unkempt.... But contain hens geese pigs etc..... So again very interesting..... The only place to sit however was in a jungle type garden that really needed a good tidy..... In places the grounds were immaculate but then in others weeds grew aplenty and everything looked a little unkempt..... We were unsure if this was intentional given the eccentric nature of the furnishings! We had two evening meals in the restaurant which were very pleasant simple ingredients cooked very well..... Breakfasts were excellent again but some people may be put off by the limited choice.....each dish was a set dish and it was just one dish per person freshly prepared to order..... We were very satisfied but some people may prefer a buffet style breakfast and several dishes!!!!! We had a very pleasant time and would return!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2018

Single woman travelling alone was put in a ground floor room - the doors opened from the outside so was swapped into a top floor room. They double booked the room so there was someone in it. Then got upgraded. There was no central light so very dark, no TV and no shower. Just a short roll top bath for an awkward washing experience.

The food is totally awful. Dinner is bland and Breakfast has a menu only option with the worst scrambled eggs I've ever eaten. The Granola the next morning was a huge bowl of dry granola with yogurt on top. I stopped eating there during my week stay and ate at local pubs.

Would not go back and would not recommended.

Room Tip: Lovely beds but terrible usability
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank businesstraveller560
Reviewed 6 May 2018

We booked for two nights, but in the end I was there on my own for the first night as my husband had to be away. I could not have been made more welcome as a lone female guest. The staff are without exception charming and helpful. Marco Pierre White's own art collections are in the various reception rooms and the place is mainly lit with candles, giving it a modern gothic feel. As to be expected, the food is superb and the small menu reflects the use of fresh ingredients. Comfortable bed and a quiet room. My only - minor - criticism is that the music in the dining room was too loud for our taste. Overall, it was a lovely stay - not cheap, but we'll definitely return.

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Having read a good many reviews I can echo people's experiences in not being able to contact the hotel, hanging on endlessly for them to answer the phone etc. We were booked on a DBB deal through Wowcher at £229 for two nights. Although we had booked for 22nd April (my husband's birthday) we were unable to go that weekend due to illness. I did finally manage to contact the hotel on the Saturday and a pleasant young lady happily re-booked us for the following weekend, though our voucher stated plainly "no changes". On arrival we were very pleasantly surprised at the warm greeting we met with.

We stayed in the "Treetops" building down the drive. The room was spacious, but quite dark, however the bed was supremely comfortable, with great squishy pillows and superb quality bed linen. We were provided with coffee pods to go in the coffee machine, fresh milk and kit kat bars. These were not topped up the following day but happily provided on request. Towels were very good quality and size. Minor niggles... the grouting in the shower needed replacing and some curtain hooks were missing + only 3 hangers provided though there were rings for more. A little bit of TLC would easily overcome these shortcomings.

The lounges and restaurant in the main house are truly amazing. There is enough of interest in all of them to engage your interest for many evenings. Surprisingly, despite the clutter they are also amazingly clean and dust free. We did not feel comfortable in the room with all the dead deer and fish... and we noticed that no other guests ever sat in that room much to our amusement, but it was worth a look and was certainly a talking point.

We were clearly on the "set menu" which was indeed basic, but the ingredients, though "cheap and cheerful" were good quality for what they were, well cooked and presented. One evening my husband had the Aberdeen Angus fillet steak at a £7.50 supplement. He said it was the best fillet steak he'd had for a long while. It would have been nice to have been offered the a la carte menu in case we'd wanted to splash out, but having been in the catering business ourselves we could understand them not wanting to have expensive ingredients in stock when the hotel was not at full capacity and many guests were on "deals". It isn't a Michelin starred restaurant and does not pretend to be. Drinks are expensive, but are top end brands (e.g. Sipsmith gin) and not more expensive than many establishments local to us with less to offer.

The staff were absolutely lovely and I would particularly like to mention Celia and Oriana who were especially welcoming and went out of their way to make our stay memorable. We did not meet Marco, though apparently some other guests did and said how charming he was to them. The staff all clearly adore him and enjoy working for him, which says a lot.

Considering what we paid it was good value for money. We had a very memorable weekend and we would probably go again given a similar deal.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the main house for an experience above the ordinary.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple