“Good quality food but watch out for prices of drinks”

and 1 more site!
The Peacock Bakewell
Ranked #15 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Wife and I went for an evening meal.

The place itself is cosy and clean although the music from the juke box was a bit too high as it was hard to hear each other at the dinner table because of it.

The most disappointing part of the meal was at the start when I ordered a glass of wine and a pint of local beer came to a staggering £9.30!!! Much more expensive than elsewhere in Bakewell based on our experience.

We ordered the lamb and the southern fried chicken. The lamb was quite dry and the accompanying mashed potatoe was tasty but not enough of it to be substantial. The southern fried chicken was tasty and nice but again lacked enough for it to be substantial. The meal was reasonably priced but lacked quantity and a little on quality. We noticed the steak and that looked like a much better choice although much more expensive.

Overall it was a 3.5star which is better than average and less than very good i.e. it was good but nothing spectacular except the overpriced drinks.

Room Tip: Factor in the prices of drinks when you eat here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RichardBourne
peacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Quality Wine & Quality Ales (and Food).....in probably "the Best Pub in Town"

Fortunately, we only sell nice wine and quality ale at the Peacock, which is supported by nice food in a nice pub, and as a result I refuse to be drawn down the road of serving cheap food & wine and as was quoted to me only last week by a passing tourist in Bakewell, after having drank a pint of our local Chatsworth Gold...."that was the best pint of beer I have ever tasted " so I feel I have got my priorities right on this subject!

The meals we serve are also of exceptional quality and value.......if you want 'two for a tenner' and cheap beer & wine there are establishments that offer this service....we do not!

I do acknowledge our prices aren't cheap, but with Quality surely there is no compromise, and this also substantiates why I believe the Peacock is the "Best Pub in Town", whether it be for food, drink or accommodation, as the product is heavily invested.

....and having read other reviews posted by RichardBourne on Trip Advisor, I get the impression that cost is a big issue, that's fine, we all have a budget and have to cut the cost accordingly, but when a Quality product is offered please don't expect it at cheap prices.....having said this, some people do not acknowledge or don't know the difference.....a pint of beer is a pint of beer and likewise a glass of wine is a glass of wine.......but at the Peacock we do know the difference!

Also having read his other reviews on Bakewell I feel sound is a big issue........

....please be assured the music piped out on the Peacock Wurlitzer Juke Box isn't too loud.......it's a perfect accompaniment to your drinking & dining experience.

Come on down, and find out for yourself, so you can be the judge if 'Quality and the Price is Right'!

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Just had a main course early on a Thursday evening, so exposure rather limited, but thought I'd mention my thoughts nonetheless. Even though it's an English pub I went for the chicken curry (£10) and, because I like more rice than is typically served, I assumed the worst and asked if I could have a particularly generous portion. Now, given that rice in bulk is an inexpensive item and it was being served to me anyway (unlike a 'side order' of chips or veg) I expected a fairly modest supplement, maybe 50p, and so was taken aback rather by the request for a 20% surcharge. The fact that I was also charged £3.30 for a pint of lemonade and lime only compounded the felony and served to put me into a slightly negative frame of mind whilst I was awaiting the arrival of the food!
(As an aside, why are soft drinks made of carbonated water and syrup so overpriced in all pubs when compared to the ingredients and effort that goes into making a decent pint of beer? Surely one is paying for the ambience and to cover overheads & contribute to profit, so to my mind it would be fairer (and I'd drink more) if there was a uniform mark-up of £x on every pint. Perhaps the publican would care to explain why those not wishing to drink and drive should subsidise those who do drink?)
Anyway, having mulled over the injustices of the world in my mind, the food when it came was actually quite good, so it's a pity that the first impression wasn't more positive (Extra rice? No problem!). I'd happily eat there again, but next time I'll probably go for a steak...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris_and_Jean
peacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Having read this review, I find it very strange how a couple can in their own words 'put themselves in a slightly negative frame of mind prior to the arrival of their meal'......!

A meal incidentally, as again in their own words was "quite good".... and why did they put themselves in this negative frame of mind.......because of the fact they were a little greedier than the rest of us and they ordered extra rice, but were dismayed that they would be charged £2 for this privilege and also £3.30 for a full pint of lemonade & lime?

So having mulled the injustices of the world to right in their own minds, we at he Peacock are informed that their dining experience would have been better, if they the customer, hadn't been charged for the extra product they requested and for a soft drink that they think they should set the tariff......mmmn, but i'm sorry the Peacock, and I feel all other business' don't operate this way.

If you visit the Peacock, an Olde English type Pub that is central in the lovely market town of Bakewell you make your choice and pay your money down.....choice is the operative, we don't force your hand, I'm very sincere about this, because there are other choices where you can find evening meals much cheaper than what the Peacock have on offer, and cheaper priced drinks, but surely it is the Big Picture here....it is the fact that you can enjoy a quality meal set in a nice clean environment, with a nice ambiance, lovely music piped through an old Wurlitzer Juke Box playing sounds from the forties up to modern day classics, with nice staff to serve you.

If that is not worth the £2 for extra rice, then maybe it's me that's got it all wrong, for this I can only apologise, but when I go out for a meal, if I've enjoyed the product offered etc. etc. I don't sulk to Trip Advisor, the tips I offer are monetary to the staff who prepared and served me!!!

What Do You Do....................?

Reviewed 9 September 2012

we visited the peacock on saturday 08/09/12 along with 2 friends,we found the service excellend and staff very
freindly.We stayed in the studio apartment aprox 200yds away which we found to be very clean and whith a very nice court yard.Also excellent breakfast.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr Mrs brewin leicester.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2012

In February 2011 I decided to ask my long term Girlfriend to marry me, having been to Bakewell before I decided to ask here there in late spring, in one of the many bluebell woods that surround the area.

I also wanted to throw a surprise party the following morning for my (hopefully) fiancé. I intended to invite around 24 people to stay with around 35 being there throughout the day. Having looked at all hotel’s and B&B’s in the Bakewell area, I thought I would have to put people in a variety of places.

The first place I called was The Peacock, they told me straight away they could accommodate everyone I wanted. Over the next three months they helped organise, the lodgings, the surprise party and the food for all my guests.

The event went without a hitch, the level of service was amazing, out of this world. I could not recommend The Peacock higher.

The rooms were amazing, very clean and tidy, the food was incredible, the location was perfect.

If you are going to stay in Bakewell stay in The Peacock
Accommodation – 10/10
Food – 10/10
Service – 10/10
Price – 10/10
Location 10/10

Room Tip: There is a room with a four poster bed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We arrived at 5pm on Sunday before August Bank Holiday and staff appeared uncertain about my on-line booking via eviivo. After 5 mins or so a friendly gentleman appreared who showed us to the Studio about 250 yards away. We had originally booked a double with ensuite. The studio was fine except for a couple of minor funnies - washbasin plug did not fit and tap ,mixer unit loose on sink - but everything was clean and functional. Comfy bed with spare pillows - a plus as these sometimes have to be begged.The sutdio was in a quiet location which suited us as the pub itself had live music that night.
Please note that the photo of the Studio which currently appears on the website is NOT the one we were shown to.
The gentleman seemed unsure whether breakfast was included even though I had booked it. Breakfast was very good with a fair selection of cerials and juices and a splendid 'Full English' all served by very helpful and friendly staff. In the event breakfast was included in the price.
Overall a good experience but prices seemed rather top end for pub accommodation. I was charged £158 for two nights in the original Double ensuite but no extra for the Studio upgrade.
Car parking is available on site but is time limited outside the Studio.

Room Tip: The Studio is situated about 250 yds from the Peacock and is quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AU375
peacockbakewell, Owner at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

.....a nice review in all honesty, but if i was to review the review i would be a little critical of a couple of points mentioned........

The mixer unit on the sink is not loose, that is the design of the actual tap, it is on a flexible line and the rubber plug simply sits on top of the plug hole, so does it fit, well it certainly works when you fill the sink!

I've made a point of highlighting these very simple trivial points, as it amazes me when two people come away on holiday or in this case a short break for two days, find everything is perfect yet still find time to moan about an issue that is unbelievably trivial when as the review states the upgrade was fine, the room was clean with a comfy bed, extra pillows, in a lovely quiet location etc. etc.

As regard to the price, I in all honesty don't think £158 for two nights that included a full English Breakfast, cooked to perfection I might add, on a Bank Holiday weekend in lovely accommodation that suited, and in a beautiful town, isn't over expensive........

It must be a 'thing' with certain people that they 'beat themselves up' over nonsense, when they should embrace the good and quality of the experience.......just my interpretation of the situation I'm afraid!!!

Oh! and a final analysis, please, please if you are considering coming to the Peacock, phone us and book direct as there will be no confusion with third party websites whether you booked breakfast or didn't etc. Your booking will be discussed and we will ALL know what YOU want and YOUR requirements prior to coming......surely that is worth that little extra effort as a customer, so you know exactly what you are getting for your money whether it be £158 or what ever pounds?.......blind faith, and maybe I'm a little old fashioned here....but the internet for it's amazing contribution to modern society......can be a little blind!!!!!!

Think about it!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bakewell
0.3 km away
0.1 km away
Castle Inn Bakewell
Castle Inn Bakewell
#4 of 44 in Bakewell

Been to The Peacock Bakewell? Share your experiences!