“Most enjoyable”

and 1 more site!
The Peacock Bakewell
Ranked #15 of 44 Bakewell B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 January 2015

We stayed for 2 nights early December. We received a very warm welcome with complimentary tea and the most enormous shortbread biscuits. Our room was delightful. Breakfasts and dinners in the dining room were very good. I love the fire in the bar area. Location excellent for Bakewell and Chatsworth. We are looking forward to another visit very soon.

3  Thank Brenda S
thepeacockbakewell, ...a nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2015

.....and just to say your review is also most enjoyable Brenda, and for reasons only you and I understand, but thank you all the same!

Until we meet again?

Reviewed 3 January 2015

My partner and I had a meal at this pub and although the food was enjoyable nobody came to our table to ask if we were ok/needed anything. We also sat with dirty dishes at our table before I went to the bar to inform the manager. He was then rude and sarcastic. I would not return - even for half decent food!!

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Grace P
thepeacockbakewell, AC/DC - 'we will rock you' what ever your preferences, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2015

You know what Grace P - nobody was rude or sarcastic with you at the Peacock, you really do need to get out more with your partner if you think that I was personally sarcastic, and the girls who served you, had in fact just had a monumental busy day at the Peacock, - no excuse, but were not as you put it being purposely rude, if they didn't come to your table to ask if everything was OK.

Why, if you are going to find time to post a review on Trip Advisor, why don't you say it as it really was, instead of coming to the bar, order your gin & tonic, and in the same breath complain to me, that although the food you had just eaten was lovely - it annoyed you because, as you state in your report, that no one had actually asked if you and your partner were OK.

Maybe it was a prejudicial attitude from your perspective, in the way you behave, the way you conduct yourself, but I will assure you nothing could be further from the truth from our corner.

I replied with a profound and sincere apology on our behalf, and although it was not an excuse, I informed you, that I thought you were both quite competent to address or ask for assistance if there had been any such issues, if there had been a problem, and I added, I was under the impression there was no problem, as we clearly observed, as we monitored your appreciation of your meal.

Not everybody wants to be fussed, and be given the three bags full sir, when it is plainly obvious everything is alright from our stand point - if it was not, we would have dealt with it on a professional level - I for one, when I dine out, don't want to be molly collied. If I have an issue I will let it be known.

On the other hand certain customers do enjoy the after service, being checked on, a few moments into their meal.....

I explained to you, the waitresses had been working all day, and as the Peacock had been extremely busy, would you accept my apologies on their behalf. You then went into a mini rant explaining that I had gone over to the adjoining table and asked if everything was alright etc. and this had offended you and your partner, as you thought you were being ignored.

....without being boring to the readers, I simply explained that one of the gentleman was from Germany, and we had struck up a banter when he arrived, that I was simply carrying on, as two of his party had ordered the infamous Steak on the Stone we serve at the Peacock, and he had challenged us to be as good, if not better than what he was accustomed to in Germany - FYI - he stated it was better!!!

I then came over to your table to clear your plates, and tried to have a little banter with you and your partner, but on seeing the two serious, solemn faces I encountered, it quickly felt, here were two people who I felt, certainly didn't have a sense of humour!

Let me explain also, you didn't just sit there, as you condemn our staff with dirty dishes at your table - you had in fact only that minute finished your meal - not eaten all of the huge portion you had been served, and we all know it is common courtesy not to rush over when a customer has seemingly finished their meal.

Can I also stress in the aftermath of your little condemnation, that when I explained to the two girls who had been serving you, that you had complained about not being attended too as it were - they simply informed me, and let's be clear on this one - in their innocence, they simply explained that as the two of you seemed to be enjoying each other's company - they had felt rather embarrassed to intrude.

At the Peacock Grace P - we get every kind of person/persons imaginable, and fortunately most (nay just about everybody if the truth be known) are highly satisfied with the Peacock, - from the the staff (who are lovely - read the other reviews posted in reference), the food - (find me better), and even the drink (referring mainly to the wonderful Peak Ales we serve), and yes occasionally we have/get the odd moan, - about how it's taken a little longer than usual for the food to come to the table during extremely busy times, "how much" always being the standing joke here, and in the summer time when this establishment can, for want of a better expression "Be off the Wall", (but we do deal with all eventualities, Trust me there are sometimes occasions when the saying 'there is nothing more queer than folk' comes to mind, but I feel your criticism is very much unjustified - you are of course entitled to voice your opinions, but please don't shoot the messengers for the way you conduct yourself in public, as I don't actually agree with your principles - shall we say, but that is for another day and shouldn't be discussed on this site!

You choose not to return - that's fine, as we can survive without your acceptance, as we believe we are doing the job the right and proper way at the Peacock, even if it is not accepted in your mind - it is not conducted your way!

....and I will finish on, even if you don't return - The Peacock will still be the busiest in Town!

You see, we're good at our job, and to most people that suits them just real fine!

AC/DC - or put in simpler terms 'We will Rock You' whatever your preferences!

Reviewed 29 December 2014

we visited this pub for the first time on boxing day for lunch
a very comprehensive menu
service was prompt and food was well presented and very good quality
size of portions was large so do go when very hungry

Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank patrowley1
thepeacockbakewell, .....maybe a five star was more deserving, - but not my call I guess, as I only work, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2015

....I feel this review is fine, and I guess on a level playing field it's honest, but I also feel that the city visitor is a hard man to please, as to describe our food and presentation as he does, but only merit us a four star review, and on a Mad Boxing Day - well maybe is a little harsh - hey but what the hell!

Regardless thanks for taking the time, as all compliments are gratefully accepted to show appreciation of the hard work and effort that goes into running this fine establishment we call the Peacock - in Bakewell.

Now if I was handing out star reviews on Trip Advisor for the Industry, a full extensive menu alone on Boxing Day would surely merit the five star recognition, but we understand and maybe some city gents don't!

...everything served fresh as well - now that was a novelty on any Boxing Day!

Reviewed 19 December 2014

Stayed for 1 night with a couple of friends. Very efficient and friendly staff. Our room was very clean and spacious and the bed was comfortable. The shower was good and there was lots of hot water. The food was excellent especially the Steak and Stilton pie and it was served by a lovely waitress for whom nothing was too much trouble (she overheard one of the party saying she had forgotten to ask for salad without dressing and without prompting it was replaced). The atmosphere and music from the Wurlitzer was great. Breakfast was amazing and again served by a helpful, cheerful waitress. We would definitely stay here again especially as it had a fantastic location in the centre of Bakewell.

Room Tip: Free wifi in public areas. Room 5 is good with 2 windows. Apart from bedside lamps there is excellen...