US$184
Bagshaw Hall(Bakewell)
US$135
The Garden Room(Bakewell)
US$119
All reviewsthe publarge portionsbeer gardenfish finger sandwichhomity piepeak alessaturday afternooncar parkchillimonday marketfull englishbeefposter bedchatsworth goldlovely foodcentre of townstayed one night
Reviewed 19 February 2015 via mobile

We found the peacock in bakewell a superb venue ..Graham the landlord. .A character of the highest order. .His food was out of this world..We shall definitely be back..Thank you Graham. .see you soon...Paul and Ali baxter.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paul b
thepeacockbakewell, Humbled 22:19 as you gotta stay alive with the devil in a blue dress at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2015

Paul & Ali - what can I say as you compliment this lovely little establishment of ours, as it keeps you under it's thumb, and more good times are on the horizon, as we refurbish all our rooms to an amazing standard!

If you thought the Steak on the Stone was amazing Paul - get a grip everybody out there in Trip Advisor land, as I give you all the thumbs up to some major refurbs of all the rooms at the Peacock, which will out shine, out class, out run, as there ain't no mountain high enough to keep this man down with the plan we have for you when you stay at the Peacock in Bakewell.

Rooms - you don't need rooms where we're going at the Peacock, as it Class, Style & Good Times with Mitch Rider all the way!!!

Just don't forget to put that blue dress on as we take you for that ride!

Reviewed 3 February 2015

My wife and I stayed at the Peacock for one night last week on our way home from York and found it faultless. Our room was comfortable, warm and clean, our welcome was equally warm and efficient. Our evening meal was excellent with some nice individual touches. Breakfast was served in the conservatory and well presented. All in all a very pleasant experience which we would not hesitate to repeat.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David T
thepeacockbakewell, Those changes are a coming David and Big Changes to make it more Unbeatable, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2015

And an unbeatable review under normal circumstances David, but things aren't the norm these days at the Peacock as we refurbish all our rooms with a budget of £60,000 that will bring all the rooms up to an amazing standard with complete refurbishment of all the bathrooms (room 3 the now superior four poster room ) is absolutely amazing, with a complete refit of everything to just an amazing standard.

All the others are also being brought up to a more fantastic standard, and have to be seen to be believed - especially as we are only a B & B in Bakewell, but I can promise you no-one will have better rooms on offer in Bakewell, when the complete over haul is complete!

It will be Five Star all the way at the Peacock come this Springtime and getting back to the Superior four poster - I could move in tomorrow.

Thanks for a great review, and if, and when you return - Wow, you will see the difference!

Show Time at the Peacock!

Reviewed 26 January 2015 via mobile

A mooch around Bakewell with my boyfriend and sister before a long journey home for her. Fancied a proper Sunday lunch. The Peacock was recommended. We've walked past it before, it never drew us in. So, we managed to get a good table in the corner, perfect. Staff not over friendly but fine and efficient at finding table. Looking around, meals looked great and people seemed happy. A varied menu and we opted for beef and turkey roast dinner. Big Yorkshire pudding, mash (was it real potato? Not sure but nice anyway) puréed carrot, roast potatoes and gravy (not sure how 'real' it was but tasty) and a big dish of perfectly cooked steaming veg to share. Bacon wrapped sausage and stuffing with turkey. All the sauces avaiable. Delicious. Only annoying thing is, why do staff in restaurants wait for guests to be served the hot meal before thinking of providing cutlery!? And they should ask "would you like", not "do you want". The ladies loo was ok but a bit of an awkward space and nowhere to hang or put a handbag. We don't want to put handbags on a toilet floor. On that note, if we go back we would not wish to sit in the back of the pub, too close to loos and kitchen smells, definitely got the best seating area. Summary, if you want a good meal in Bakewell you can't go wrong here. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2015
3  Thank Buzzard2014
thepeacockbakewell, Is it a Bird from Buxton, or simply a Bird of Prey, passing judgement in a trivial way, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2015

When the buzzard from Buxton posts a review,, I feel we should all be aware - aware of what you may ask, because in all essence, this to bring up review Number 300 on the The Peacock Bakewell, (or dare I say review 730 if you were to include the 430 reviews on The Peacock - our restaurant sister site on Trip Advisor, still in Bakewell of course - now that's some going I'd say), but still essentially, it is a very nice post, but leaves me a little bewildered in a funny sort of way.....

You are recommended a lovely eatery, as you look and mooch around Bakewell for a Proper Sunday Lunch - and fortunately for us and for you - you listened to the locals, and listened well, as I defy you to find better, but then you seem to find issues with such trivial matters - Why bother to post a review.

You question the nice potatoes, and was the gravy real - of course in answer to both points, everything is real at the Peacock!!!

You close your analysis with the comments regarding cutlery, - ( it is placed on the bar by the way ) and where to hang your hand bag - Beggars belief really, but let's give you an answer to your curt remarks.

It was busy, (now that's not a novelty) and the waitresses will have simply in the heat of the moment brought your knife & fork - sorry cutlery, in the moment, and where to hang your handbag, - let's just say, the Ladies Toilets at the Peacock, are probably the best in Bakewell, and although there wasn't a hook (there is now!!! ) there was plenty of table top space to lay down, and even request a massage, if you really fancied the experience!.

Your review is well appreciated, (note the addition of the hook now for those extra expensive handbags) and we thank you for the lovely comments re: your meals, but to be finicky at the level you state, I feel is just a tad cruel, but hey we fed and watered you well, so we can't be doing too much wrong I feel - even if you are a buzzard from Buxton!

So in conclusion, as you rightly quote - if you want a good meal in Bakewell, you can't go wrong here!

Enjoy - and don't take my comments too seriously!

Reviewed 7 January 2015

We stayed for 2 nights early December. We received a very warm welcome with complimentary tea and the most enormous shortbread biscuits. Our room was delightful. Breakfasts and dinners in the dining room were very good. I love the fire in the bar area. Location excellent for Bakewell and Chatsworth. We are looking forward to another visit very soon.

3  Thank Brenda S
thepeacockbakewell, ...a nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2015

.....and just to say your review is also most enjoyable Brenda, and for reasons only you and I understand, but thank you all the same!

Until we meet again?

Reviewed 3 January 2015

My partner and I had a meal at this pub and although the food was enjoyable nobody came to our table to ask if we were ok/needed anything. We also sat with dirty dishes at our table before I went to the bar to inform the manager. He was then rude and sarcastic. I would not return - even for half decent food!!

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Grace P
thepeacockbakewell, AC/DC - 'we will rock you' what ever your preferences, at The Peacock Bakewell, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2015

You know what Grace P - nobody was rude or sarcastic with you at the Peacock, you really do need to get out more with your partner if you think that I was personally sarcastic, and the girls who served you, had in fact just had a monumental busy day at the Peacock, - no excuse, but were not as you put it being purposely rude, if they didn't come to your table to ask if everything was OK.

Why, if you are going to find time to post a review on Trip Advisor, why don't you say it as it really was, instead of coming to the bar, order your gin & tonic, and in the same breath complain to me, that although the food you had just eaten was lovely - it annoyed you because, as you state in your report, that no one had actually asked if you and your partner were OK.

Maybe it was a prejudicial attitude from your perspective, in the way you behave, the way you conduct yourself, but I will assure you nothing could be further from the truth from our corner.

I replied with a profound and sincere apology on our behalf, and although it was not an excuse, I informed you, that I thought you were both quite competent to address or ask for assistance if there had been any such issues, if there had been a problem, and I added, I was under the impression there was no problem, as we clearly observed, as we monitored your appreciation of your meal.

Not everybody wants to be fussed, and be given the three bags full sir, when it is plainly obvious everything is alright from our stand point - if it was not, we would have dealt with it on a professional level - I for one, when I dine out, don't want to be molly collied. If I have an issue I will let it be known.

On the other hand certain customers do enjoy the after service, being checked on, a few moments into their meal.....

I explained to you, the waitresses had been working all day, and as the Peacock had been extremely busy, would you accept my apologies on their behalf. You then went into a mini rant explaining that I had gone over to the adjoining table and asked if everything was alright etc. and this had offended you and your partner, as you thought you were being ignored.

....without being boring to the readers, I simply explained that one of the gentleman was from Germany, and we had struck up a banter when he arrived, that I was simply carrying on, as two of his party had ordered the infamous Steak on the Stone we serve at the Peacock, and he had challenged us to be as good, if not better than what he was accustomed to in Germany - FYI - he stated it was better!!!

I then came over to your table to clear your plates, and tried to have a little banter with you and your partner, but on seeing the two serious, solemn faces I encountered, it quickly felt, here were two people who I felt, certainly didn't have a sense of humour!

Let me explain also, you didn't just sit there, as you condemn our staff with dirty dishes at your table - you had in fact only that minute finished your meal - not eaten all of the huge portion you had been served, and we all know it is common courtesy not to rush over when a customer has seemingly finished their meal.

Can I also stress in the aftermath of your little condemnation, that when I explained to the two girls who had been serving you, that you had complained about not being attended too as it were - they simply informed me, and let's be clear on this one - in their innocence, they simply explained that as the two of you seemed to be enjoying each other's company - they had felt rather embarrassed to intrude.

At the Peacock Grace P - we get every kind of person/persons imaginable, and fortunately most (nay just about everybody if the truth be known) are highly satisfied with the Peacock, - from the the staff (who are lovely - read the other reviews posted in reference), the food - (find me better), and even the drink (referring mainly to the wonderful Peak Ales we serve), and yes occasionally we have/get the odd moan, - about how it's taken a little longer than usual for the food to come to the table during extremely busy times, "how much" always being the standing joke here, and in the summer time when this establishment can, for want of a better expression "Be off the Wall", (but we do deal with all eventualities, Trust me there are sometimes occasions when the saying 'there is nothing more queer than folk' comes to mind, but I feel your criticism is very much unjustified - you are of course entitled to voice your opinions, but please don't shoot the messengers for the way you conduct yourself in public, as I don't actually agree with your principles - shall we say, but that is for another day and shouldn't be discussed on this site!

You choose not to return - that's fine, as we can survive without your acceptance, as we believe we are doing the job the right and proper way at the Peacock, even if it is not accepted in your mind - it is not conducted your way!

....and I will finish on, even if you don't return - The Peacock will still be the busiest in Town!

You see, we're good at our job, and to most people that suits them just real fine!

AC/DC - or put in simpler terms 'We will Rock You' whatever your preferences!