“Quirky Vegetarian Cafe in Excellent Bookshop”
Review of Scarthin Books

Scarthin Books
Ranked #24 of 150 Restaurants in Matlock
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 5 July 2017

A little hidden gem ....... Well hidden in fact, at the top of Scarthin bookshop! What a delightful find - hundreds of books crammed into this building and you could easily spend hours here. We only had coffees but when next in Cromford will definitely be going back for a lunch. Friendly staff, reasonable prices and excellent bookshop.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

Dying to visit since I moved to Cromford and dragged my friend who was visiting up. She decided to wander off to the music section (she's a music teacher) and I lost myself in the stacks and stacks of books that this shop has to offer. Amazed to see a lovely vegan selection in the cafe (as I am vegan) but didn't eat due to a large breakfast at home.
The staff were friendly and my friend ended up buying a stack of books, even though she moaned at first at going. Easily a place you could lose a good few hours browsing the endless shelves of wonderful books. It seemed that time stood still and I cannot wait for a day off that I can lose myself once again.

Reviewed 25 May 2017

I love this book shop with the added benefit of a fabulous little tearoom with a view over Cromford Mill pond with resident heron and wildlife. Run and owned by delightful and friendly folk people. If I lived locally I would be there every day! It has second hand and new books and the staff are very helpful and knowledgeable!

Reviewed 7 May 2017

The Guardian a few years ago listed Scarthin Books as one of the 10 best bookshops on the planet and I wouldn't disagree. If you are a Terry Pratchett fan you will know what L space is and this bookshop is certainly built in it! How so many rooms and so many books (and a rather very good cafe) fit behind such a narrow shop frontage I will never know even though I've been a regular visitor for decades (its my local bookshop).

Reviewed 3 May 2017

After a great visit to the nearby mills we walked into Cromford to complete the Arkwright experience! After looking at some charming shops we wanted some lunch and spotted the cafe at the Scarthin Bookshop. Superb and unusual food and drinks on offer, well presented and served at a very reasonable price and with this you get to look around what must be one of the best UK bookshops..HIGHLY recommended. You are guaranteed to find a book to buy!!