All reviews private home view suite every morning bbc beach absolute luxury prickly bay grand anse beach nikki kayak island conch reef georges nutmeg st calabash
Reviewed 18 February 2015

Fabulous place. Make no mistake this is a luxury hotel with a fantastic restaurant, set in a beautiful bay, in a unique architectural building, with warm Grenadian hospitality. It is not your traditional 5* hotel in the sense of well polished white glove stuffy/pretentious service, nor is it pretending to be one, but it does deliver top service with genuine warmth and friendliness. (More Necker Island than the Savoy.) This is a very special place, it doesn’t feel like a hotel but more like a private residence (as it once was) - a retreat from the hustle and bustle of life. The place has bags of character – whether it is the wonderful food, the beautiful vistas, the great rooms, the unusual architecture, or the people – it is truly unforgettable. Like so many others we hope to be back one day.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
mhbeowner, Owner at Mount Hartman Bay Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2015

Thank you very much for your lovely review. 'More Necker Island than the Savoy' - what a perfect way of explaining what we try to offer. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your staff with us and hope to return. Thank you for your support. Best wishes, Nikki, Peter and the whole team.

Reviewed 16 February 2015

This is an unusual boutique hotel located in a sheltered picturesque bay that is perfect for peace and quiet. The views are stunning and emphasize that when it comes to property, location is the first and last word.

The hotel offers about 11 spacious suites in a rustic but classy environment. Not everyone likes the rustic feel, but if you do, this hotel is perfect. The on site Cave House restaurant serves delicious food from a locally inspired menu.

Peter, now the General Manager, was responsible for the hotel's construction more than 2 decades ago and it is clearly his baby! He will also pick you up from the airport, which is great because it allows you one on one time on the 15 minute journey to the hotel to be introduced to each other ... Clever idea! Nikki the current owner is often on property from her UK home and is extremely friendly and welcoming. Glenda is the efficient Front Desk Manager who would happily make all arrangements for you to get around.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed a long weekend break over Valentine's in this wonderful retreat, which we highly recommend for couples!

Room Tip: We used the jacuzzi suite which was very comfortable and enjoyed great views.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
mhbeowner, Owner at Mount Hartman Bay Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2015

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I will miss chatting to you from your seat overlooking the Bay. Best wishes, Nikki, Peter and the team.

Reviewed 2 February 2015

The Mount Hartman Bay Estate is a combination of a ‘rich friend’s home, a luxury resort and a top class restaurant’.

The food in the Cave House Restaurant was absolutely stunning!

Overall the resort is intimate, private, has great service and with comfortable accommodation. We loved it and will go back.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Iant2312

Thank you so much for taking the time to send a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Best wishes, Nikki, Peter and the team.

Reviewed 27 January 2015

Having recently returned from a one week stay at Mount Hartman Bay Estate my husband and I agree, without hesitation, that it is the loveliest place we have ever stayed. Our room was beautifully spacious, the bed was huge and so comfortable, and the views were just stunning. The food was delicious and varied. The staff were efficient and charming. We would return again in a heartbeat. Thank you Mount Hartman Bay team for giving us such a memorable and lovely holiday.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
mhbeowner, Owner at Mount Hartman Bay Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2015

Dear Jayne, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and for the lovely emails that you sent. The team and I really appreciate it and it was lovely having you and Mark stay with us. I am only sorry that I never got the chance to meet you. I am pleased you enjoyed the Dais Suite and I agree that the beds are very comfortable. The mattresses were very expensive indeed and had to be brought in by container ship and hoisted into all of the suites but I think it was worth the effort as part of the relaxation experience is to get a good nights sleep. Thank you again for being such lovely guests and for taking the time to learn how to write a TripAdvisor review. Kind regards,
Nikki, Peter and the whole Mount Hartman team.

Reviewed 23 January 2015

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel in September. I cannot disagree more with the reviews posted on TripAdvisor.

To start with, the hotel staff were over half an hour late picking us up for the airport. There were no apologies. We had a very long flight from the UK, and standing in the sun for this length of time was not a good start to our trip.

The rooms are not luxurious. They are rustic and in need of modernization. The bed in our room was far too high. It was a struggle for me to get up onto the bed. (There was no step.) I had to do a running jump, which usually resulted in banging my legs on the wooden frame and getting bruises as a result.

The air-con our room had 2 settings – on or off. There was no option to adjust the speed or the temperature. This meant either not being able to sleep because of the heat, or not being able to sleep because the air-con was too noisy.

Every morning, lunchtime and evening at around mealtime our room filled with a nauseating kitchen smell - primarily the smell of fat. On closer inspection we realized our room was in very close proximity to extractor fans from the kitchen. This was very unpleasant and forced us to leave the room at these times.

Our TV constantly didn’t work. It was a complicated system that we couldn’t work out. There was also a constant buzzing noise. The TV lacked a good selection of channels. We were staying whilst the Ryder Cup was on and none of them channels were showing it. We ended up just unplugging the whole system in order to get rid of the buzzing noise.

We understood the hotel wasn’t on the beach when we booked, yet we were comforted by the fact at that a shuttle service existed. Well, it turned out not to be a shuttle service. There was one service per day – it left at around 10.30am and came back at around 3.00pm. This restricted service didn’t suit us, as we didn’t want to be out during the hottest part of the day. We tried walking to a local beach on one day, but it was far too hot. Yes, one can get taxis, but they are just so expensive.

The hotel has two man-made sand areas that reach the water. Please note the these are not private beaches. The sand is rock hard - it hurts to be barefoot on it. The water is not suitable for swimming.

The hotel's website says that there is a "jacuzzi spa overlooking the bay". Well, we didn't see it and it wasn't shown to us when we were given our initial "tour" of the facilities.

One very bizarre thing about this hotel is that they only played two songs when we were there - 1. All Out Of Love by Air Supply, and 2. Send Me An Angel by Scorpions. (I had to Shazam the songs to find out the titles.) These two songs were played on a constant loop – both in the restaurant and at the pool area. Day or night – they were playing. At first we thought it was amusing – then it became infuriating. These songs are so depressing and just awful. To hear them over a hundred times was a nightmare.

The hotel seemed to be taking advantage of few residents to do some major structural work on the place. Our relaxing stay by the pool was frequently interrupted by the sound of drills and hammering. On the plus side it made it harder to hear All Out Of Love and Send Me An Angel!

There were off bits of maintenance equipment just left in the garden. A jerry can didn't move the whole time we were there.

We brought all these issues to the attention of the management who initially did nothing at all. The lady we dealt with didn't even bother to come and look at the issues. (Perhaps she was already aware of them from previous customers.) The next day she reluctantly agreed to change our room even though it was clear there were no other residents. We were to be given the room next door, which had been occupied for the first night of our stay. On closer inspection we realized this room had suffered a leak through the ceiling and was being dried out with industrial sized heating fans prior to our occupancy. Our suspicion is the other residents left the hotel after suffering a flood. It would have been very easy to offer us an alternative room, as the hotel was clearly empty.

After three nights we discussed our situation and decided we just had to leave the Hartman Bay ASAP as we had spent a lot of money on this hotel and were not enjoying it. Out complaints were being ignored by the hotel staff and we had no hope for things getting any better. When we left the hotel they tried to make us pay for food and drink we had despite having paid up front for half of the stay. We only stayed for three of the seven nights and eventually we agreed we would settle at that. They should have been offering a refund not asking for more money!

Given our experience, I thought the owners would have contacted us to discuss our complaints. Unfortunately we haven't heard from them.

I really don't understand why this hotel gets such good reviews. It has made me very wary of relying solely on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Bendrusha
mhbeowner, Owner at Mount Hartman Bay Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2015

On a morning when we have just been told that our hotel has been recognised as one of the top 25 small hotels in the Caribbean and within the top 1% of hotels in the world, this is a very upsetting review to read. Whilst we get it right for the vast majority of our guests sometimes we get it wrong and sometimes we just cannot please some people. There was a lot of work going on in the hotel last summer to renovate the property and upgrade all of the suites and you were given a half price rate of US$225 per night to reflect that. At the time of your stay we were adding new balconies to the Rose and Jacuzzi Suites and so those rooms were not in use and there was some noise by the infinity pool whilst the work was done, (although I understand that you did not complain about this until you were checking out and trying to negotiate as to why you should not pay for any of your food and drink during your 3 night stay). You had asked to be collected from the airport at 15.30 and Peter arrived at that time. Your flight had apparently arrived at 15.00 but as you had not given us your flight number or airport of origin we could not have known that. We offer free private transfers for our guests from the airport but obviously need the flight number to be able to track early arrivals. I understand from the staff that the fact of your waiting at the airport was an issue that they were never able to recover from despite their efforts. It is the first time that we have heard a complaint about the bed being too high although you did complain about the room and asked to be upgraded. If the larger suites had been available we would have upgraded you but as already explained they were not in use. The Guest Services team moved you to another suite but not an upgraded suite. Our complimentary shuttle service has a published time of 10.30am departure to Grand Anse beach with return at 3.30pm. This timing is popular with our guests as it allows them to spend time on the beach and have lunch at a beach bar. However, we normally offer some flexibility and often the staff will make extra journeys. I am afraid that the staff felt that you were just completely unreasonable and that nothing they did would satisfy you. As well as having all of the original team of staff that worked at Mount Hartman Bay Estate when it was a private home we also have seasoned hospitality professionals on our team and they tell me that whatever we do we will not please some people. I can assure you that it was not within the capability of the staff to procure Ryder Cup coverage in Grenada for you! We have the fullest package of satellite TV channels that are available in Grenada, moreover we have high speed wi-fi throughout the resort so the coverage was fully available on the laptop. The 42" plasma TV in both of the suites that you occupied worked perfectly before you arrived, during your stay, and for all subsequent guests. It was a welcome relief to all when you let us know half way through your planned stay that you had found other cheaper accommodation. You checked out exactly half way through your holiday (having paid half in advance with the balance due) and yet refused to pay for any of the food and drink that you had consumed and this account is still outstanding. It is untrue to say that I have not written to you, I have written to the email address in Dusseldorf and have received no response, moreover I have spoken to other guests who were there at the same time as you and immediately after you and I am confident that your complaints were unfounded. The beach is raked every day and is soft white sand. You have posted 3 photographs and 2 do not need explanation, the third photograph is of the roof vent that goes down into the restaurant as part of an indoor waterfall. It is part of the architecture of the property to have a beautiful waterfall going through the restaurant into the reception area (not a flood). Since December 2013 when I purchased the hotel we have had hundreds of guests, every week I receive several thank you letters from guests and clearly Trip Advisor surveys have chosen us to be one of the top 25 small hotels in the Caribbean. We do sometimes get it wrong and just this week we had someone with a young toddler decide that our Beach House was not suitable for them, but the vast majority of time we get it right and as a property we are committed to excellence. We have decided that this summer we will close the property for 2 weeks in September to be able to do the noisy jobs so that this situation does not repeat. Meanwhile we will write off the food and drink charges for you despite the fact that we feel that your criticisms are unfair. I would like to end this response by thanking the team at Mount Hartman for all of their hard work and to urge them not to be dispirited by this review, remember the vast majority of guests really appreciate what we do. As a wise person in this industry recently told me: some people will arrive miserable, be miserable during their stay and leave miserable, no matter what you do for them! Nikki.